Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #346
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 386
Before you buy the DNA unit check these tests out. It may change your mind on filtration ability of cotton gauze.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
2014 KTM 1190R
manxkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 AM   #347
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
According to what you have posted, the OEM standard filter does a just as good a job as a lets say a dna or K&N..
So i could be wasting my money i guess...
Something to consider, I reckon I may just get the Unifilter for $70 bucks and be done with it..
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:53 AM   #348
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 386
Its the filtration aspect that is the worrying part. I would not be happy with crap in my motor courtesy of a cotton/gauze filter.
2014 KTM 1190R
manxkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:27 AM   #349
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
dna definitely will flow better but without fuel adjustment it might make it leaner and ratty
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #350
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Anyone check their Airbox for Dirt on the 2014 models?
or does the KTM change of design actually works :)
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #351
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
I was promised by KTM in Greece that the change of design for 2014 models does work and I will have no problems.
My local dealer, Bikers & Bikes in Corfu will check for dust in the airbox at all scheduled services.
However I am mainly a long distance road rider, with only occasional off road use.
So if anyone is using their 2014 for mainly off road use, please comment ...
Question , if you are mainly on road use ,why did you get the "R"?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #352
cneidhart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
no dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post
Anyone check their Airbox for Dirt on the 2014 models?
or does the KTM change of design actually works :)
Hi,
I have a 14 R with 3,800 miles on her. A lot of dirt rides. Really never following anyone, so the dust was minimal.
Inspected the air filter at 3,500 and perfectly clean in the throttle bodies.
02 BMW 1150 GS Adv (gone after 12 yrs)
01 KTM ADV
cneidhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #353
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
That's a very good question, and the answer is because the R has uprated suspension that is better for my size and weight. I am 6 ft 2 in, and rather overweight. Also I carry a fair amount of luggage when touring Europe. The standard 1190 would need its suspension uprated to cope!

My current motorcycle is a Suzuki DL650. Before that I had a Honda ST1300. Both were fitted with uprated suspension tuned for my weight and weight of luggage. The upgrades were quite costly, about 1200 Euros for the DL650 and 1700 Euros for the ST1300. I do not believe I will need to change the suspension on the "R" whereas I know I would have to shell out for changes if I bought the "standard" 1190. So it comes down to economics.

Secondly, I like a "tall" ride, and I gain 3 inches ride height with the R fitted with Ergo seats. As you can tell, I'm no spring chicken, but I do ride a lot of distance.

Also the R comes as standard with "on road" Contis, I will not be fitting off road knobblies.
depending on your weight you are going to need some suspension work on the R as well. I'm 6'2" and 225. I was able to get the rear sag set with the stock spring but the front will need to go up to at least a .64? I am sending it to superplush tomorrow.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #354
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
depending on your weight you are going to need some suspension work on the R as well. I'm 6'2" and 225. I was able to get the rear sag set with the stock spring but the front will need to go up to at least a .64? I am sending it to superplush tomorrow.
Funny in 6'2 250 lbs.. (ya, too much)
with the Standard and Ergo seats. Love the height (895mm) and the suspension seams fine
and yes I agree the R suspension is probably better
I wonder if people will upgrade the Standard suspension
Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #355
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Funny in 6'2 250 lbs.. (ya, too much)
with the Standard and Ergo seats. Love the height (895mm) and the suspension seams fine
and yes I agree the R suspension is probably better
I wonder if people will upgrade the Standard suspension
it's alright stock, front sag numbers are within 15 mm of where they need to be so it's not near as bad as the 990 was stock. but off road you really notice the too soft front springs. the small investment <$400 is worth it to me for the improved handling.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #356
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,587
Luggage Opinions

Does anyone have the KTM cases? The plastic/aluminum ones that fit to the stock mounting hardware.

I was thinking about getting them....or Jesse bags. Huge difference! I like the idea that the Jesse's will be bomb proof. I love the idea of the KTM cases sitting that close to the bike, and when they are off, there is no rack system left behind.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #357
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Does anyone have the KTM cases? The plastic/aluminum ones that fit to the stock mounting hardware.

I was thinking about getting them....or Jesse bags. Huge difference! I like the idea that the Jesse's will be bomb proof. I love the idea of the KTM cases sitting that close to the bike, and when they are off, there is no rack system left behind.

I have the KTM touratech ones , way better then the KTM touring ones..
Also looked at many other Alum Panniers,
But liked the Touratech ones .
Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #358
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,587
Quote:
I have the KTM touratech ones , way better then the KTM touring ones..
Also looked at many other Alum Panniers,
But liked the Touratech ones .
Have you actually touched the touring cases?
That's what I have now (probably selling). When I take the boxes off, I don't like the RH rack at all! Probably going with Jesse's.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #359
Solohobo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
The KTM Cases are some the sturdiest ones to date for a OEM offering, one advantage of these as they have a heavy built in anchoring slide on the bag, not the bikes mounting area, and they are meant to break free towards the rear, so you dont end up breaking the bag mounts, since you are usually going forward when going over...they are also pretty heavy duty.

In regards to the break in period comments 10 pages back, all the dealers that went to KTM meetings in June 13 in Austria HQ got thier Demo 1190 there, and in the following days, toured the country on them, at least if they were smart they did...doubt they were broken in per manual. Keep in mind the LC8 motor is one the tightest ones there is, and the RC8 really does not even get great free reving and good mileage until almost 2000 miles, so I imagine the 1190 is the same, and the motor will really purr and be smooth after 2000 miles. Mine has 1500 on it, its been great, did have some issues with the ECU and cold starts, a fuel sensor was bad, would not fire up...another time went into LIMP mode out of the blue on highway, was a oil sensor, sending fasle info to computer which triggered the LIMP mode...reflashed and new sensor and its been trouble free since. Love doing wheelies on that baby...yee hawww, and racing Multi Stradas, too it up to 135 in NOV and still had plenty more...blows bimmers away....
Solohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #360
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Have you actually touched the touring cases?
That's what I have now (probably selling). When I take the boxes off, I don't like the RH rack at all! Probably going with Jesse's.
yes I did at the dealership
just do not like it and the way it mounts. Plus, when I want to use soft luggage off-road I will still have the touratech(made by KTM) rack to keep it from touching the exhaust