Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #481
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Tigers View Post
Gotta hold it down until it says release, but dont hold it too long past that or it won't turn off.

QUOTE=OrangeV;23402873]Gday Guys
Page 178 of the owners manual gives some small insight into the MTC how to switch it off etc..

Im was doing it for the first time and I may have fluffed it..
Press set then wait for the other dash prompt to let go of set.
Then it still said its on when I want it off..Damn it..
Have any of you 1190 owners switch off the MTC to off.
I want to experiment a little with lifting the wheel.. a few cm's.. and also see how I interact with the bike with the MTC switched off.

Any info is appreciated as always, many thanks...
[/QUOTE]

Thank you Good Sir,

I have just gone to the garage and done it, its fine.
I left a post it note on the tank to remind myself its OFF..

Seriously its the first time im switching it off, should I know anything about this, apart from the fact that the front wheel wants to lift off when the throttle is abruptly twisted.. I will have a go at it on friday when i ride it to work..
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:35 AM   #482
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
Gday Guys

Page 178 of the owners manual gives some small insight into the MTC how to switch it off etc..

Im was doing it for the first time and I may have fluffed it..
Press set then wait for the other dash prompt to let go of set.
Then it still said its on when I want it off..Damn it..
Have any of you 1190 owners switch off the MTC to off.
I want to experiment a little with lifting the wheel.. a few cm's.. and also see how I interact with the bike with the MTC switched off.

Any info is appreciated as always, many thanks...
I noticed mine wouldn't go off either even though I released it right away. I was trying to turn it off immediately after I turned the bike on in the morning in 18 degree Fahrenheit weather. The idle was really high, once that settled I was able to turn it off.

So in short, I believe the mtc won't turn off unless the bike is idling normally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:03 AM   #483
slomo
slomo

Oddometer: 88
Seriously its the first time im switching it off, should I know anything about this, apart from the fact that the front wheel wants to lift off when the throttle is abruptly twisted.. I will have a go at it on friday when i ride it to work..[/QUOTE]

Grab a handfull of throttle while leaned over, your rear wheel will step out :-).

Your rear tire will also wear out faster.

Have fun but be carefull.
slomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #484
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you Good Sir,

I have just gone to the garage and done it, its fine.
I left a post it note on the tank to remind myself its OFF..

Seriously its the first time im switching it off, should I know anything about this, apart from the fact that the front wheel wants to lift off when the throttle is abruptly twisted.. I will have a go at it on friday when i ride it to work..[/QUOTE]

It reverts back to ON when the bike is off, and there's an indicator light on the speedo dash. Toy could also have it displayed as the favorites screen.

I think mtc limiting wheelies makes the bike a little boring. The throttle response and travel is already very mild at least compared to what I'm used to with modern 450 motocross bikes. They are much more explosive and wheelie happy off the line. Although I don't know how this compares to other street bikes, this is my first "street" bike I've owned and I've only ridden a few.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #485
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,132
Might have been posted before, but Cycle World has a very positive test of the 1190 in the March issue, and one thing caught my eye-- at 490 pounds it weighed 15 pounds less than a the last 990 they had (a Baja). So, taking into consideration the larger wheels and crashbars (and adding a skidplate), I'd guess an 1190R would be about the same weight as the Baja.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #486
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrad View Post
I noticed mine wouldn't go off either even though I released it right away. I was trying to turn it off immediately after I turned the bike on in the morning in 18 degree Fahrenheit weather. The idle was really high, once that settled I was able to turn it off.

So in short, I believe the mtc won't turn off unless the bike is idling normally.

Probably like other driving mode changes, the throttle needs to be closed. Could be that during the initial cold startup that the computer had the throttle open a bit to accommodate the rich mixture and fast idle that the cold temperature required.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #487
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Considering a GPS for the 1190 , what works well and more importantly what mount works best. as well as anything else I may need to know?
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #488
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Ergo seats

Anyone have the ergo seats installed>front and rear?
did the dealer install or yourself?
any issues or comments >

thanks
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #489
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
Considering a GPS for the 1190 , what works well and more importantly what mount works best. as well as anything else I may need to know?
I've got a Montana - it seems pretty good.

If I were to do the mount again I'd use the RAM handlebar mount (the U-bolt ball mount) around the top post of the instrument cluster than use a 3" long RAM arm. There are some photos around here where someone did it. I tried it just to see if it would work and it was perfect - but I had already purchased the KTM mount so I went that route.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #490
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
This isn't an easy one to answer.

I purchased a Montana, a rugged mount which powers the unit, and their ram attachment piece, then a handlebar attachment from ram along with their smallest arm.

If you're looking for a casual GPS, I wouldn't recommend a Montana as it's expensive, doesn't come with any maps, and since it's so powerful, can be a little tough to figure out at first for those who aren't technically savvy. If you put a little effort into understanding all of its features, it's extremely powerful for both road and off-road use.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #491
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
I was looking at the Montana, assuming I can load my Garmin topo U.S. on it? I'm not tech savvy any any means, but it's a long time until spring so I should have time to figure it out? what about mounts?
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #492
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post
any issues or comments >

thanks
Hi I installed the ergo seat just for the rider as its bloody expensive here in Oz $370 AUD, I did it at the dealers, I snipped all the frikkin wires and crap for the heated part, so that the seat can be properly installed.
I bought it for the comfort not to warm my bum.

Seriously the ammount of heat coming from the bike, why do I need a heated seat ...

Its a good seat and better than the original, it also looks very good on the bike.

Its 20mm higher than stock seat. higher the better for me personally

I believe you will like it.

$370 front
$370 rear
$740 that's a bit rich for me...
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #493
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeV View Post
Hi I installed the ergo seat just for the rider as its bloody expensive here in Oz $370 AUD, I did it at the dealers, I snipped all the frikkin wires and crap for the heated part, so that the seat can be properly installed.
I bought it for the comfort not to warm my bum.

Seriously the ammount of heat coming from the bike, why do I need a heated seat ...

Its a good seat and better than the original, it also looks very good on the bike.

Its 20mm higher than stock seat. higher the better for me personally

I believe you will like it.

$370 front
$370 rear
$740 that's a bit rich for me...
thank you

does it also have the 2 position seating the standard seat has?
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #494
Hilts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Ergo Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post
any issues or comments >

thanks
I have the ergo seats installed front and rear. Both my wife and I agree that they are quite comfortable. I installed them myself with the provided instructions. This is a little bit larger job than one would imagine. The fuel tank......and all of the panels covering it have to be removed to run the cable from the switch for the front seat. All wiring is plug and play with the connections located under the panel behind the pillion seat. You will have to drill a couple of holes for the switches, one in the dash for the rider and one in the right side panel for the pillion. The seats have settings for low, high and off indicated by a color change in the light up switch. Unfortunately, you can not see what color the switch is during the day. I do have an appointment with my dealer to check the amp draw on the low and high settings. We both feel that the seat heat has two settings, way too hot and "burnin' my ass off hot". Temperatures here have been in the 30's and the seats are good and toasty in about ten minutes, but by 15 minutes we are both reaching to turn them off. This leads me back to the lighted switch......orange is off, red is high and you can't tell the difference in daylight.

Hilts
Hilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #495
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I was looking at the Montana, assuming I can load my Garmin topo U.S. on it? I'm not tech savvy any any means, but it's a long time until spring so I should have time to figure it out? what about mounts?
Yes, you can load nearly any map on the montana, including topo maps providing they arn't linked to another device.

I am using the follow items for mounting it on my handlebar. The device sits in the center of my handlebars in the landscape orientation.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop...-11654-01.html

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx