ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #526
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I went through this "its cold, let's mod stuff" thing last year. I traded that bike in on the KTM. I'm going to put at least one summer of riding on this one before I change anything.

Keep in mind, an MX bike is basically an ON or OFF switch. With road bikes, you need to have more throttle travel, so it is possible to modulate and hold smooth steady speeds. Imagine riding an MX bike through downtown rush hour traffic.

Give the bike a few thousand miles, and see if you get used to it. If not, you could find a 2013 990 ;)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I commute with my motocross bike! My only issue is I needed to add a radiator fan for heavy traffic in the summer. Night time traffic is tough since my stator doesn't have quite enough oomph for both the headlight and the fan at slow engine speeds. It actually makes it fun though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #527
karna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Need some help! Going back forth 1190 & R plan to use it as my primary transportation. Need some advice which platform to choose ... Main consideration suspension wheel size. I have a track bike SuperMoto so I think I'd prefer riding style of Adventurer ... I enjoy riding dirt not sure how much on the big bike.. I hit canyon and LA traffic pretty hard any advice? Like the occasional set of stairs riding 2-up ... Appreciate the help
karna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #528
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by karna View Post
Need some help! Going back forth 1190 & R plan to use it as my primary transportation. Need some advice which platform to choose ... Main consideration suspension wheel size. I have a track bike SuperMoto so I think I'd prefer riding style of Adventurer ... I enjoy riding dirt not sure how much on the big bike.. I hit canyon and LA traffic pretty hard any advice? Like the occasional set of stairs riding 2-up ... Appreciate the help

Go for the R, the adjustable suspension on the base model is one more thing to fix if it breaks. The big thing for me was the larger front tire. On the other hand the extra 12 month warranty is appealing.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #529
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It's fairly arbitrary if you ask me. From the reviews I've read, people seem to think the standard is a bit twitchy compared to the R on the road. It came down to looks for me, I love the Orange power coated frame on the R, and the larger front wheel completes the look.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #530
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,373
Foot Pegs ??

Does anyone know if other models and years cross over to the 1190? I want to put a set of better pegs on, but if other KTM models and years fit the 1190 it opens up the choices.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #531
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Does anyone know if other models and years cross over to the 1190? I want to put a set of better pegs on, but if other KTM models and years fit the 1190 it opens up the choices.
How about these ones from Black Dog Cycle Works? The peg on the left is stock while the one on the right is not.
The entire width of my foot will sit comfortably on these, plus they're half an inch lower. Haven't ridden them yet but the weekend is upon us.

gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #532
kag
Wander Lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
How about these ones from Black Dog Cycle Works? The peg on the left is stock while the one on the right is not.
The entire width of my foot will sit comfortably on these, plus they're half an inch lower. Haven't ridden them yet but the weekend is upon us.

They are some great looking pegs.......but unless I am seeing it wrong $244.....would like something about half that. Was interested in extensions or other after market pegs. If other model/years fit the 1190 it opens a lot of options....including a good used set...not crashed hard

I found these for $85 but trying research them presently to see how they hold up

kag screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 06:32 PM
Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #533
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
I've had my R for a month now and couldn't be happier.
I went through the same decision process. I loved the Adventure but went for the R because I wanted to do more off road. Both bikes handle great on paved road. You give up a little on the road with the R but not much. It really came down to how much dirt riding you want to do.
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #534
highsider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
I find the throttle response is a bit...artificial, if that makes sense. If you twist the throttle slowly, you get the power in softly, and if you twist it hard it comes in harder and faster. Obviously that sounds normal, but on this bike I get the feeling that the 'brain' is helping out more...on a cabled throttle, rather than the ride by wire throttle I find it is more consistant. At a certain RPM I will get a consistant amount and type of power delivery on other bikes. On this bike at a certain RPM the amount of power and the way the power is delivered seems to differ depending on how quickly and aggresively I twist the throttle. Does that make sense? Like the 'brain' is deciding what it is I really want and trying to provide the amount and type of power delivery required. It is pretty subtle, but trying to lift the front with a touch of clutch for example...on my 800XC, you get to a certain RPM in 1st or 2nd and it was predicitable the amount of front end lift I would get feeding in so many revs and using the clutch. On this thing power wheelies are easy, but using the clutch and trusting the exact amount of power needed to lift the front (and not go too faaaaar...k!) can be a bit daunting. It is not a big deal and you get used to it I find, but it is a bit...odd at first.
I've noticed this same thing in my "fly by wire" pickup. It's almost like like the accelerator is judging how much power to give instead of throttle how much to open the throttle. I'm not overly fond of it. Having said that, I just put my deposit down on a R model without ever riding it...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #535
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
I went with the Fastway Adventure pegs. Yes, rather pricey.
The are wider and longer providing great platform.
My only gripe is they are a little too long. They make it a little uncomfortable when stopping, keep hitting my leg. Not a problem with dirt boots on.
I was told that they have the same fitment as the 950 and 990.
Cheers.
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #536
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by highsider View Post
I've noticed this same thing in my "fly by wire" pickup. It's almost like like the accelerator is judging how much power to give instead of throttle how much to open the throttle. I'm not overly fond of it. Having said that, I just put my deposit down on a R model without ever riding it...

Don't worry. I took mine for a test ride the day I bought it, just to be sure. I was more than sure after about 3 miles
Old 02-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #537
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsider View Post

It's really not that bad. For me, coming from motocross, the cam profiles, throttle travel, freer flowing exhaust, and a tiny flywheel are most likely the bigger factors...

Old 02-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #538
kag
Wander Lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDsurf View Post

I was told that they have the same fitment as the 950 and 990.

Cheers.

That helps a bunch for fitment and opening up choices/options.

thanks

Old 02-08-2014, 02:23 AM   #539
Martyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I have RADE's foot pegs on my @R and the are the best from pricing and quality I have seen so far!

http://www.radegarage.com/category/parts/

Martyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #540
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
I have Touratech GPS bracket installed on 1190. When you get into any type of rough riding (even on pavement) the bracket shakes real badly. Has anyone else who has purchased this bracket run into this? I may have to switch over to either the ram ball mount or the KTM bracket. Any problems with these other mounts shaking?

"on soapbox" I think this will be my last purchase from Touratech. It seems IMO that every time I buy something from them it ends up being cheaply made and way over price.