Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #766
Badge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Initial impression

Wow!
Just road back from the dealer (about 40 miles). This bike is amazing, wonderful, powerful, balanced, and a blast to ride. And at the same time, somehow a little strange. I can't quite describe why, but the impression riding this bike was a little like an arcade game. Not necessarily bad, but like nothing else I've ever ridden. Part of it seemed to be the throttle by wire, as someone else posted about earlier. The throttle is silky smooth, and the bike is powerful, but the two seem like there is a distance between them. Like listening to a CD rather than a live performance in a bar. And one does not feel the weight of the bike, which is a good thing, but added to the slightly unreal quality of the experience. I felt a like I was watching my ride on a screen.
Don't get me wrong. I was grinning and saying "wow" to myself the whole way home. The power, ride quality, handling, are all amazing. I can't wait to get it broken in an take it to some twisties.
One niggle: When is Sargent going to make a seat for this bike?! The XR650L I rode to the dealership and traded in was more comfortable. I bought this bike for long distances, and my but started to feel sore before I got home. (Small price to pay for such a great machine, but I suspect it will bug me more and more as time goes on.)
Badge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #767
ColdC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Orange or Gray?

Reserving an 1190 but since I have not been able to see the bikes in person I'm having a difficult time deciding. I like Orange. I own an Orange 990 but I'm leaning toward Gray because all the pictures I see of the Orange 1190 don't look like "KTM Orange" and the "1190"numbering looks PINK!!!
Can anyone comment on whether or not the Orange looks as rough as it does in the photos, i.e. is the "1190" truly PINK!? Does the Gray just look too dull for a KTM? Give me some opinions.
ColdC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #768
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Try it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy.Wuzzy View Post
Thanks for the responses... I'm not a total...... Hooked up the grips and pushed the appropriate buttons .... nothing! Doesn't go on or off or high or low.... just stays blank. I'll have the dealer 'flash it' at first service. Sounds like yet another way to squeeze $$.
Hooked up my grips myself . Couldnt have been easier. Push appropriate buttons and crap nothing . Doubt myself so I pull the headlight and check my install. Its so easy a caveman could do it .looks perfect . How couldnt it ? Plug and play. But yet not working. Hell with it. Go for a ride. Start it up . Scroll through and whatthe hell. A menu appears. Great. Works great,. Dont know why it would not load on centerstand with just ignitionon but it didnt. Ymmv
Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #769
RichyRich68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I've seen the Orange bike first hand and as my signature suggests I am a fan of KTM orange. The letters are pink, the orange is NOT KTM orange. Each to his own. Get the gray one or commit to painting the other.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #770
ColdC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyRich68 View Post
I've seen the Orange bike first hand and as my signature suggests I am a fan of KTM orange. The letters are pink, the orange is NOT KTM orange. Each to his own. Get the gray one or commit to painting the other.
Thanks RR. I'm in Oakland & appreciate the first hand report.
WTF KTM? Perhaps I'll just ride one of my other bikes this year and hope they make a KTM orange 1190 in 2015. (PS KTM - I only like one thing pink.)

ColdC screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 08:50 PM
ColdC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #771
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge View Post
Wow!
Just road back from the dealer (about 40 miles)..... started to feel sore before I got home. (Small price to pay for such a great machine, but I suspect it will bug me more and more as time goes on.)
Did you get the R or the Std? I've got the Std on order after a test ride of 30 miles or so. Coming off a 800XC and I thought the seat was about the same.
I will most likely get a custom seat done for some big days.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #772
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,341
Mostly done

So repainted. New pegs, new LEDs, new headlight bulbs (helped vs stock), headlight guard (missing parts so not fully installed, heated grips, mirror extenders, installed electrical quick connectors, grip puppys, pulled the cannister and rerouted hoses.

Now need to get the cases painted to match and get me some TKC80s

New head light bulbs......better but still not really great

New AUX Leds on.....total cost $150 including wiring harness
(4 LEDs)

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #773
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdC View Post
Reserving an 1190 but since I have not been able to see the bikes in person I'm having a difficult time deciding. I like Orange. I own an Orange 990 but I'm leaning toward Gray because all the pictures I see of the Orange 1190 don't look like "KTM Orange" and the "1190"numbering looks PINK!!!
Can anyone comment on whether or not the Orange looks as rough as it does in the photos, i.e. is the "1190" truly PINK!? Does the Gray just look too dull for a KTM? Give me some opinions.
I bought an R - but the Grey is beautiful in person! I'd love to have the Grey plastic on my R.

Get the Grey and put on the Orange KTM crash bars.

Photos don't do the Grey justice
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #774
Badge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
Did you get the R or the Std? I've got the Std on order after a test ride of 30 miles or so. Coming off a 800XC and I thought the seat was about the same.
I will most likely get a custom seat done for some big days.
I got the standard.
Badge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #775
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,681
looking good KAG....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #776
RichyRich68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
I bought an R - but the Grey is beautiful in person! I'd love to have the Grey plastic on my R.

Get the Grey and put on the Orange KTM crash bars.

Photos don't do the Grey justice
They graphite Is much better in person but honestly I like the R plastic better. Want to swap?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #777
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdC View Post
I'm having a difficult time deciding. I like Orange. I own an Orange 990 but I'm leaning toward Gray because all the pictures I see of the Orange 1190 don't look like "KTM Orange" and the "1190"numbering looks PINK!!!
It really depends on the lighting. The main orange would best be described as a burnt orange. The pink.....can't make my mind up on just how pink it is and the other orange colour is more a solid KTM orange to me.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #778
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
So repainted. New pegs, new LEDs, new headlight bulbs (helped vs stock), headlight guard (missing parts so not fully installed, heated grips, mirror extenders, installed electrical quick connectors, grip puppys, pulled the cannister and rerouted hoses.

Now need to get the cases painted to match and get me some TKC80s
Wow! looks great! What LED's and mounts did you go with?
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #779
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasculopath View Post

Wow! looks crashed...

Fixed............
Old 02-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #780
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
So repainted...

Congratulations! It now looks like a KLR!