Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #841
Chicoblanco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
I installed a pair of Long Range Optimus LED Aux (round) lights this weekend.

I had a pair of Rigid Dualy's on my 990 and moved them (old 990 harness I had made worked ok), but didn't like the fact that I couldn't get them mounted level on the crash bars because of their uneven un-symmetric nature. So I decided to get round bezel LEDs and move the rigid lights to my 690.

First step is to mount the lights.

I bought the Cyclops bar mounts and had to do extra shimming to fit the KTM crash bars.

I bought the harness with the Skene dimmer (no switch) as I planned to use the high beam switch to control the the lights at max brightness with high beam on and single (programmable) level with low beam. The harness had to be cut down a bit as I initially planned to use the switched ACC2 circuit to power the lights.

I tapped the high beam wire (blue wire) behind the head light connector and did a test fitting to see if there was room behind the head light for all the components and wire harness.

I noticed that there was an opening in the lower head light mounts for the lower portion of the LED harness to pass from inside the head light enclosure to behind the surface body plastic. The length of the lower portion of the harness was a perfect match for the crash bar mounting. You can see the ACC2 connectors in the right of this photo (brown is ground).

You can feed the wire harness through a hidden passage by pulling the plastic out a bit.

Routing the harness between the tank and the inner plastic.

I used spade connectors (female at signal source) to make the harness totally plug-in (with the exception of the tap of the high beam wire). I planned to power the lights and Skene dimmer with the ACC2 power (10 amp) Red LED power wire, Skene Yellow and Red wires, but couldn't get that to work. Darryl suggested that I bring the LED power and Ground from the battery, so a second harness was built to do that. Don't know why the first setup didn't work especially since the Rigid Dualy lights worked fine (with a separate switch) using the ACC2 power and ground. Might be something with the way KTM CAN bus system powers up the ACC2 circuit which the Skene didn't like when all the Skene Yellow, Red, and LED power were all connected to the same power source.

The final mounting of the Skene, fuse, harness. I changed the harness fuse to 5 amps from 30 since I didn't want to weld anything with an inadvertent short. The leds are 10 watt and the Skene draws .o1 amp, so 5 is enough.

Plastic back on. Haven't ridden with the LEDs yet (my seat is at James Renazco's place getting the front cut-out removed and other changes).

Detail of plastic covering the wiring harness.

Overall I like the lights and features but the installation was more work than I anticipated because I had to remove the tank to install the LED power harness from the battery. I expect to use 50% dimming with the low beams but that is easily changed in 10% increments.
Thank you. I just bought the same light system and will be doing the same installation on my 1190R. This information is extremely helpful.

Thanks.
Chicoblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #842
Chicoblanco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
I never expected the masses to get it and I am ok with that..... OD Green is my favorite color anyway .....plus I wanted my KLR to stand out from all the purty shiny ones parked at Starbucks. Plus it saves money on wash & waxing. OD colored ones are the fastest....don't you know

Yes the black vinyl KTM lettering is being made presently. Got the cases mounted today. Plain and simple I like it.....but then again I have always been able to make up my own mind on decisions......even bad ones

I really like this color scheme. I may be doing something similar to mine. I was thinking all black, perhaps even flat black, but after seeing this OD & black... hmmmm. Me like.
Chicoblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #843
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 791
What windshield is that? Is it protecting the headlight?
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #844
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
I never expected the masses to get it and I am ok with that..... OD Green is my favorite color anyway .....plus I wanted my KLR to stand out from all the purty shiny ones parked at Starbucks. Plus it saves money on wash & waxing. OD colored ones are the fastest....don't you know

Yes the black vinyl KTM lettering is being made presently. Got the cases mounted today. Plain and simple I like it.....but then again I have always been able to make up my own mind on decisions......even bad ones

I just want to bump this post so I feel like I fit in.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #845
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
That OD looks a lot better than Orange with the hot pink! No body makes an aftermarket screen? I got the touring screen and its good for buffeting but its really noisy! I thought it was my XD4 but i tried my other helmets and they are all noisy. Went on a 240 mile ride last week and the first half I had a sheepskin on the seat and it was fine, no heat and comfy, the last 120 mile ride home it was off and the seat was bad. I used the off road set up on the dirt part of the ride and I am very pleased. The brakes were great and the bike just felt great even in the ruts.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #846
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 324
1190r windscreen/helmet/buffeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
That OD looks a lot better than Orange with the hot pink! No body makes an aftermarket screen? I got the touring screen and its good for buffeting but its really noisy! I thought it was my XD4 but i tried my other helmets and they are all noisy. Went on a 240 mile ride last week and the first half I had a sheepskin on the seat and it was fine, no heat and comfy, the last 120 mile ride home it was off and the seat was bad. I used the off road set up on the dirt part of the ride and I am very pleased. The brakes were great and the bike just felt great even in the ruts.
my 1190r has stock wind screen. I'm 5'10". the prob could be helmets with visors. i wear a schuberth even off road. the bike is just too fast for a visor. or my necks too weak. it'll rip your head clean off! that'd be a sight! the headless bikesman!! i think the dual sport helmets are worse than a plain old dirt bike helmet (arai) with goggles. of course i also wear noise canceling bose head phones. that REALLY helps with noise. $300 though.
btw-i like the stealthy part of kags bike. i think he should put KLR graphics on it and really freak people out when he blows by them!!
'09 KTM 530 EXC, '12 KTM 350 EXC
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #847
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,415
Joining the ranks! Test rode one last week, good lordy what a bike.

Selling my Super Tenere and guzzling the koolaid.

Wont be able to pick it up for a couple weeks due to work....

Anybody have a PDF of the owners manual? I keep trying to download it off of the KTM website but its not working for me...

[IMG][/IMG]

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #848
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Unifilter

Has anyone gotten their Unifilter for 2014 air box yet? I'm just curious if they finished the kit yet. Unifilter promised to replace the 2013 kit that I purchased in December thinking it would fit my 2014
Old 02-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #849
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Has anyone gotten their Unifilter for 2014 air box yet? I'm just curious if they finished the kit yet. Unifilter promised to replace the 2013 kit that I purchased in December thinking it would fit my 2014
I did, same story, got a package in the mail a few weeks ago with the revised filter. piece to seal the box and pre filters are the same from the 2013 kit, and were not included. Had the dealer throw it on when serviced. I usually do all of my own service, but wanted the first done by them in case of problems later. mental insurance.
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #850
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasculopath View Post
I did, same story, got a package in the mail a few weeks ago with the revised filter. piece to seal the box and pre filters are the same from the 2013 kit, and were not included. Had the dealer throw it on when serviced. I usually do all of my own service, but wanted the first done by them in case of problems later. mental insurance.
Hmmm, I wonder why I haven't received my replacement yet.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #851
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 791
Got mine. Contact inmate Filterman and he will get you squared away.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #852
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
I have it installed and its doing the job. I believe Unifilter are having trouble keeping up with demand.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #853
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
Got mine. Contact inmate Filterman and he will get you squared away.
Do you know if Filterman = Myles G. This is who I been emailing at Unifilter
Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #854
BadTroll
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,602
Quote:
Seriously thanks for the good and the bad does not phase me

Plus it will be easy to fix when I crash it again
Needs truck nuts.

Looks great. Are you gonna leave it this ya or do the hydro dip?
BadTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #855
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge View Post
Nice looking bike. What kind of pannier racks are those?
Don't know, the bike is not mine. Need to ask Smop.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote