Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #76
Martyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
I like that idea but do you have any idea how much amperage that circuit is rated for? If it is going through the canbus I would worry about pulling too much current through it.
It's not connected to the canbus. It's a isolated PWM module in the unit. I read something about min 5 Amps to max 10 Amps. So if you have heated grips with 55W should be fine.

My heated gloves have 40W!!!
Martyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #77
Joseph42s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Cool2 Took Delivery today

I would post pictures, but I am forum illiterate, plus I want to ride the bike more and thus don't want to sit in front of the cpu long enough to get educated.

Impressions.

Awesome, Smooth, Great power delivery, HOT and NOT TALL. All the post made it seem like it was a Husaberg 570 dirtbike. I am 5'11.75 and its super easy. Both feet down if I want.

Hot....its 78 degrees here ( hot for California) and man the thing is hot. I thought they figured out the heat problem on the 2014. I searched and saw someone was developing heat shields. Anyone found the trick? I also through I remember reading that someone took the heat reflective off of the seat. But man, it was hot I got to change that.

I guess I am kind of crazy, I bought the bike sight unseen. I missed all the demo tours and could not seem to find one in California. So I found one in Oregon and had it shipped here today. So Far, so good besides the heat the bike seems sweet.

I am coming from a Husky 310 dirtbike and a 03 Dakar beater.
Joseph42s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #78
Perljam
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Anyone with any decent miles under their belt care to share reliability pros/cons so far? Thinking of another 11 or 12 GS, air/oil camhead...I know, I know....but really would prefer the 1190, however concerned re KTM reliability and support, especially with all the new electronics. Thankshttp://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/ear.gif
Perljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #79
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph42s View Post
I would post pictures, but I am forum illiterate, plus I want to ride the bike more and thus don't want to sit in front of the cpu long enough to get educated.

Impressions.

Awesome, Smooth, Great power delivery, HOT and NOT TALL. All the post made it seem like it was a Husaberg 570 dirtbike. I am 5'11.75 and its super easy. Both feet down if I want.

Hot....its 78 degrees here ( hot for California) and man the thing is hot. I thought they figured out the heat problem on the 2014. I searched and saw someone was developing heat shields. Anyone found the trick? I also through I remember reading that someone took the heat reflective off of the seat. But man, it was hot I got to change that.

I guess I am kind of crazy, I bought the bike sight unseen. I missed all the demo tours and could not seem to find one in California. So I found one in Oregon and had it shipped here today. So Far, so good besides the heat the bike seems sweet.

I am coming from a Husky 310 dirtbike and a 03 Dakar beater.
I understand your concerns, yes the bike does get hot, i rode home from work yesterday it was 39 degrees and the bike felt quite warm along my calf muscles and inner legs and under the seat.
THis will be just perfect for our winter here in Australia.
I am adjusting to the heat and tend to focus more on the joy of the ride.
I also open my legs abit from time to time as a sort of a vent.
Maybe this is how most twins are i dont know as i have never owned a twin..

But i tell you my friend this bike is just amazing on some many other diffrent levels, its purely a joy to ride and own aside from its small foibles

Happy owner..YES
Old 01-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #80
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
it is currnently about 70 here in Sacramento. In the morning I look forward to the heat, in the afternoon, not so much. But after about 45 mph I do not notice the heat. I'm sure that the temps go up I'll have a different feeling, but I'm sure enjoying the bike right now.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #81
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perljam View Post
Anyone with any decent miles under their belt care to share reliability pros/cons so far? Thinking of another 11 or 12 GS, air/oil camhead...I know, I know....but really would prefer the 1190, however concerned re KTM reliability and support, especially with all the new electronics. Thankshttp://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/ear.gif
My bike has 1,200K's on it so i cannot speak much on realiabilty.
What i do like is that to do your own oil changes will be easy.
Motorex Full synth 4T $96aud oil filter $15aud..
Simple as or just get the shop to do you changes every 8,000kms lets say for peace of mind.

Also the BMW and the KTM are diffrent in many respects, I think if you have your heart set on a 1190, my personal view is go for the 2014 model.
I rode the GS water boxer for 45 minutes and i was not impressed by it..
I didnot have a test ride on the 1190 and bought simply going on reviews and tests off the internet.
Thats was a massive call for me to do...

THis bike is very unique and im liking it big time..

Once again its a very personal decision, do your test rides, take into consideration your type and style of riding and then buy the 1190
Booyahhh
Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #82
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 376
Can anyone add any insight into 2013 vs 2014 airbox issues? Does the 2014 1190r US model have this issue?
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #83
Joseph42s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Also

I will add that the bike seems super light. and has wicked power. One inmate said the ktm felt lighter just putting on the stand then his bmw. I concur 100%. Maybe it just the balance of the bike, but everything about it seems lighter then my 650 dakar. Its a lot wider then I realized, but not more so then the bmwr. I am looking forward to a fun year or two on the bike.
Joseph42s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #84
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
After being on the phone all day and calling every dealer I could find, I found a grey 1190 and made a deal. I go pick it up tomorrow so probably won't sleep much tonight! I bought it from Malcomb Smith's shop, the same place I got my 950 from in 2003. Last friday my friend and I went and test rode a 1190 and then went on the other side of the freeway to the BMW dealer and test rode a new GS we did the same route on both bikes. He ended up getting the GS and of course I will have the 1190 tomorrow. They are very close the BMW is a little better wind protection but i felt the KTM was more stable, I noticed a couple of times the GS's front end shake over irregular patches of freeway and gusts of wind hitting my shoulders affected the BMW more than the KTM.
But both are great bikes.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160

Doug Matson screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 07:53 PM
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #85
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyred View Post
It's not connected to the canbus. It's a isolated PWM module in the unit. I read something about min 5 Amps to max 10 Amps. So if you have heated grips with 55W should be fine.

My heated gloves have 40W!!!
My jacket, pants and glove liners are around 10 amps.

I'll let you be the guinea pig

That is one part of the bike that I wouldn't want to mess with too much. Ill use my wireless controller for now.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #86
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph42s View Post
I will add that the bike seems super light. and has wicked power. One inmate said the ktm felt lighter just putting on the stand then his bmw. I concur 100%. Maybe it just the balance of the bike, but everything about it seems lighter then my 650 dakar. Its a lot wider then I realized, but not more so then the bmwr. I am looking forward to a fun year or two on the bike.
Agreed about the weight. I have a 1200 GSA. My 1190 is about 60 lbs lighter than the GSA. The difference is very noticeable moving them around the garage and putting them on the center stand
Old 01-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #87
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
Can anyone add any insight into 2013 vs 2014 airbox issues? Does the 2014 1190r US model have this issue?

It is my understanding that the 2014 has a different airbox. I read that somewhere but I can't recall where for the life of me.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #88
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
It is my understanding that the 2014 has a different airbox. I read that somewhere but I can't recall where for the life of me.
Correct! the 2014 has a new airbox. It has a different partsnumber and it should be better.
Tjeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #89
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perljam View Post
There is an American in Belgium with +20.000 miles. Still no problems. Not even the airbox problem.
Tjeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #90
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
It's in the 2013 1190 thread.

Among others
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote