User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Weather to Alaska? British Columbia and Yukon

The Alaska forum has links to some good web sites showing weather and road conditions for people planning trips up there.
What about in the areas of Canada that provide the land access to Alaska?

Cranbrook, Icefields Parkway [93], Jasper, Hinton, Grand Prairie, Dawson Creek, Alaska Highway [97][Y1], Whitehorse, Haines Junction, AK?
Kamloops, Prince George, Yellowknife Parkway [16], Smithers, Stewart-Cassiar [37]
Whitehorse, Klondike Highway [Y2], Dawson, Top of the World [Y9], Taylor [AK5], Tok
Haines Junction, Haines Highway [3,7], Haines, Skagway, Klondike Highway [Y2], Yellowknife

1. are there any (useful) general statements about the weather in those areas, specifically for June, July, August? (i.e. dryer, wetter, colder, bugs, ...)
2. are there any good web sites for weather and conditions along those routes?

Thanks,
-ceej

PS
Here is one of the AK links:
Alaska 511 - Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
ak bike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Alaska

Weather is potluck on that route,you can get forecasts a week or so ahead with odds of what you'll get MAYBE. . As far as planning weeks or months ahead of when to go ,won't work .just pick your date and have good rain gear (an electric vest is nice) and enjoy the trip . Been over the Highway off and on since 1950 and can't figure it . Odds are early summer is shorter on rain with it increasing as the summer goes on . We have many summers that haven't read that. What ever, its a great ride .
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
windypoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
I agree with the earlier post. The weather is at best unpredictable, but having lived in AK for twenty years and having made many trips, I would recommend late May and Early June. This is USUALLY the best time for Southeast Alaska. There are many weather cams that have links to local weather airport metars. These are available at: http://akweathercams.faa.gov/

Canada has many similar sites that you can find on the web. Aviation sites are typically the most frequently updated. https://flightplanning.navcanada.ca/...n&TypeDoc=html
windypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,076
Like the posts above...totally a crapshoot

In '09 I went last couple weeks in June. It was 30c and sunny the 2 weeks before I left and the same after I got back...during the trip however, it was 5c and rainy every day

Went again this past summer, this time the end of July into August...rainy and 8c almost everyday but I did hit a day in Fairbanks where it was 28c!

It all depends if your sticking to the mountainous areas, the coastal areas or inland flats. Mountains tend to be cold, coastal tends to be wet and inland seems to be much nicer...except for the zillions of bugs
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
We looked at statistically the best weather and rode in early July of 2012... total wash out to the point we had to hold up for a while until roads opened... go again? Yep planning a trip again in 2014

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Early June

We did Yukon and some of Alaska in early June this year. We did 17 days on the road and had 3 days total of rain. On our way south on the Alcan, we really noticed the huge increase in tourist traffic heading north, a lot of tourist traffic! Very few bugs and rooms were easy to find.
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
early June

I have been going up north on June 1 the last couple of years and have had excellent weather, plus I always like to be in the North for the longest daylight hours, gives me more time to fish! It will rain but what else is new?
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
maximuski
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost2

Oddometer: 88
It seems that the warmer the weather the more wet it gets so June should work but you only will have a good idea a week in advance. just be prepared for both cold wet as well as hot.

My advice about the route: Take the stewart Cassiar to the North (maybe taking the alaska hwy in the way back) the thing is this hwy runs pretty much straight north-south (or vice versa) so if you ride it south you will have the sun shining in your face all day long (like it happened to me this year) and will not enjoy those fantastic landscapes as much as if riding north. Also your pics will be better and with more bears on them. The Alaska hwy runs SE-NE so even in the SE direction you will avoid some direct sun in the afternoons.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
maximuski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Turns out that June will be the best time for me this year, so that's my plan.
And maximuski, thanks for the suggestion to ride the Cassiar south to north. Makes a lot of sense, and since I'll be headed to Colorado at the end it will work out quite well to come back on the AlCan. I had gotten mentally hooked to the idea of riding the AlCan from "start" to "finish".
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuski View Post
It seems that the warmer the weather the more wet it gets so June should work but you only will have a good idea a week in advance. just be prepared for both cold wet as well as hot.

My advice about the route: Take the stewart Cassiar to the North (maybe taking the alaska hwy in the way back) the thing is this hwy runs pretty much straight north-south (or vice versa) so if you ride it south you will have the sun shining in your face all day long (like it happened to me this year) and will not enjoy those fantastic landscapes as much as if riding north. Also your pics will be better and with more bears on them. The Alaska hwy runs SE-NE so even in the SE direction you will avoid some direct sun in the afternoons.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 188
In the most general terms possible the weather looks good. this is 4-6 month forcast for canada showing that there is a 50-60% chance that weather in the summer for that area will be warmer than normal. as everyone here tells you "normal" can mean just about anything up there so bring all the waarm clothes you have and try and remember that there really is a 60% chance that it's usually colder lol.

where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
For BC highways info:
http://www.drivebc.ca/

Weather, change city to what you need:
http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-77_metric_e.html

BC Highway cams:
http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...nInterior.html
Old 02-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Do not miss the Cassier Highway for anything! It is by far the best route for scenery and wildlife. I've done it twice now, once in the wet and once dry, both time worth the adventure. After-all, we ride adventure motorcycles don't we, expect to get wet!

Also take a heated vest if nothing else heated if you have one. Even when soaked as long as your core is warm you'll survive! Been there done that!

Also don't miss the D2D, check it out in the Alaska section, it's not your typical motorcycle meet....we all think the same way, no main street drags, OK, yes there is...a slow drag...lol. Another must do or see...IMHO.
Also, ride up to the Arctic Circle if nothing else once you get to Dawson. That means riding the Dempster, another not to miss ride....seriously. Even if you must burn up some serious miles to get there so you can see it all in your time frame, you will not be disappointed IMHO. This will be my 3 rd time riding from Toronto it's that great...Once the far north gets under your skin...you're hooked I'm afraid!

Enjoy....don't worry about the weather.....it's all part and parcel of the adventure.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #13
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

this forum is great

Inmates ROCK!
What great resources.
-ceej
Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
Any trip of such distance is bound to throw some weather at you. a rain layer and a pair of waterproof gloves are a good idea, and so is a tarp. Thunderstorms can be rough up that way!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote