Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #46
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt1577 View Post
Congrats on the wedding!!!...I hope you two had a fabulous day

Looking forward to (vicariously) getting back on the road with you!

all the best, mike
Thanks Mike!

Update to follow!
circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #47
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
don't miss riding in La Huasteca and to Xilitla!
Bernal is another don't miss.
Duly noted, thanks!
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #48
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
CC - do they have street Combio's?

I've not been to Mexico for a while, but I do go to Dominican Republic yearly and I found out that you get a better exchange rate on the street or hotel were we stay - than at the airport. Usually better by 5 pesos

Is Mexico like this as well?

Congrats to U & the new wifey - Enjoy

FYI - its dumping snow in the Mid Atlantic states - Yahoo
There were a couple of money changers at the TVIP, so we got pesos there. Thanks for the congrats!
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #49
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCollinsworth View Post
subscribed!
welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
There is no reason for a US bank to stock Pesos. The Peso is a depreciating currency, so it would be a bad investment to keep them around.
hmmm...good point but 500$ are still 500$, all that changes is what the bank would sell them for.

it's 0330 on Saturday morning and we aren't running on very much sleep. By the time we get our hearts started and some coffee in our system, load the bike and get on the road it is 0445.

The temperature says it is +5C and Chanda is wearing her rain pants to help block the wind. We start heading south on I-10 and we're both surprised at the volume of traffic this early on a Saturday morning. South of Phoenix the temperature drops another 3 degrees and we can both feel the cold. The highway empties out and we pull into Denny's in Eloy for coffee and a breakfast skillet. The waitress can't believe we're on a motorcycle, and suggests we stay until the day warms up. We thank her but tell her that we have many miles to go before the day is over.

We stop for gas in Tucson and by now the sun is coming over the mountains. Chanda is watching a ribbon of birds in flight and is marveling at the fluidity of the flock. The day isn't getting any warmer and the temperature has dropped to 1C because of our climb in elevation. Just north of Nogales the temperagure hits the freezing mark and neither of us think we're ever going to be warm again.

We opt for more java before we cross the just before we cross the border and then it's Mexin' Time!
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #50
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A more detailed description of the days events will follow once we have a chance to upload some photos and use a real computer. These entries are on my blackberry playbook, and the interface is limited. But, we are currently in Mazatlan, and leaving for Manzanillo in the morning. Between now and then, we'll be working on more of the Sexin'
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #51
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

in the Small World Dept:

What are the odds that in the 15 minutes that Chanda and I are parked in Puerto Vallarta, adv inmate The Chief would be walking by, see my adv sticker and we'd meet.

Tidbits from the trip thus far:

Mosquitos prefer Chanda to me
hwy200 between Manz & Zia is friggin' awesome for twisties
Driving hwy200 in the dark is...interesting
Topes are averaging 75/day but we expect that to increase
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #52
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,061
I don't think you understand the intracacies of a bank buying, storing, and selling a foreign currency. However, have a safe ride and enjoy Mexico. Especially enjoy Puerto Vallarta. I'll be there in four weeks.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #53
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,420
Quote:
There is no reason for a US bank to stock Pesos. The Peso is a depreciating currency, so it would be a bad investment to keep them around.
Not true at all.

Banks all over San Antonio stock pesos as a customer service, because there is a demand. But not only customer service:

The real reason to stock them? Profit by taking advantage of the classic buy/sell exchange rate differential.

In other words, they make money when they buy below market and sell over market, just like all money houses.

People demand the service, they are lining up to buy pesos all the time around here for trips south of the border.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #54
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,061
They aren't around here. The OP was complaining that he couldn't find a bank in Phoenix I believe that stocked pesos. Obviously there isn't enough demand there for a bank to make money on maintaining an inventory. I over-generalized. Its as easy to lose money on a commodity as it is to make money if the demand is unpredictable. With the huge Hispanic population of San Antonio and the high level of commerce between there and Nuevo Laredo, it makes sense for SA banks to stock pesos.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #55
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't think you understand the intracacies of a bank buying, storing, and selling a foreign currency. However, have a safe ride and enjoy Mexico. Especially enjoy Puerto Vallarta. I'll be there in four weeks.
no argument from me on money management. If I knew anything about it, I would actually have some in the bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Not true at all.

Banks all over San Antonio stock pesos as a customer service, because there is a demand. But not only customer service:

The real reason to stock them? Profit by taking advantage of the classic buy/sell exchange rate differential.

In other words, they make money when they buy below market and sell over market, just like all money houses.

People demand the service, they are lining up to buy pesos all the time around here for trips south of the border.
Quote:
They aren't around here. The OP was complaining that he couldn't find a bank in Phoenix I believe that stocked pesos. Obviously there isn't enough demand there for a bank to make money on maintaining an inventory. I over-generalized. Its as easy to lose money on a commodity as it is to make money if the demand is unpredictable. With the huge Hispanic population of San Antonio and the high level of commerce between there and Nuevo Laredo, it makes sense for SA banks to stock pesos.
what surprised me is a city like Phoenix, a major population center close to the border, not having an immediate supply. I could understand waiting a day or two in Denver or Houston, but it just goes to show that expectations are not a good habit to get into

we have left the coast and are in San Lorenzo Cacaotepec, just outside Ciudad Oaxaca. Mx200 and Mx175 were on my motorcycling bucketlist and I am very happy to have now done both. A fully loaded, 2up ST was heavy through some over those toilet bowl twisties but Honda makes a well balanced and responsive machine.

The challenging aspect of 175 wasn't the twisties, but having to quickly jig & jog around potholes or broken pavement while halfway through a switchback. All fun stuff that keeps you on your toes though and highly recommended for anyone on two wheels.
gopro footage is forthcoming.

we will be in Oaxaca over Christmas, with Monte Alban, Yagul, a few markets and the Noche el Rabanos on our to-do list while we are here.

2up thru Mexico
Old 12-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #56
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian chris View Post

We will be in Oaxaca over Christmas, with Monte Alban, Yagul, a few markets and the Noche el Rabanos on our to-do list while we are here.
Suggestion: Christmas dinner at Casa Oaxaca managed by Chef Alejandro Ruiz Olmedo. This guy is Rick Bayless' bud, the Chicago restauranteur (XOXO and Topolobampo) and who is host of Mexico: One Plate at a Time. Hint: you'll need a reservation depending upon the day and time. Ask for Alejandro himself, he will come out of the kitchen to meet you. He's a rock star in the foodie world. Speaks English.

Suggestion: Christmas market walk through Oaxaca's biggest, Central de Abastos

tricepilot screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 08:38 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #57
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Suggestion: Christmas dinner at Casa Oaxaca with Chef Alejandro Ruiz Olmedo. This guy Rick Bayless' bud, the Chicago restauranteur (XOXO and Topolobampo) and who is host of Mexico: One Plate at a Time. Hint: you'll need a reservation depending upon the day and time. Ask for Alejandro himself, he will come out of the kitchen to meet you. He's a rock star in the foodie world. Speaks English.

Suggestion: Christmas market walk through Oaxaca's biggest, Central de Abastos
thanks for the dinner tip - we will be certain to check it out! Abastos, Benito & 20nov are on today's agenda

time for a little RR catching up...

14 December

the crossing into Mexico was as straightforward as it can be - just drive on through and stay n the highway until you get to km21.

(200m into Mexico)

we arrive at km21 early enough in the day that the lines are short. I made colour copies on the vehicle & personal ID docs before leaving Canada, but we are still required to make copies of our tourist cards

there are 5 windows open at the Banajercito and the line moves quickly. As always happens, my fractured spanish quickly morphs into pidgin french and Chanda steps in to take over translation

(Banajercito line)

With paperwork taken care of, we get ready to head out. In the parking area are several GSs and ST1300s on their way to Mazatlan, and we exchange greetings and morning chitchat. It's nice to see other ST13s in Mexico!

(the first of many roadside shrines)

After refueling in Santa Ana, Hermosillo is our first large town and traffic is light. We luck out and make almost all the green lights in town!

coming in Guaymas, we notice that the Walmart has it's own highway guide sign - an indication of how popular it is down here.

after some looking around, we decide on the Hotel Flamingo

we unpack, shower (agua fria) and take a stroll to scout our some supper. The sun sets and it is dark by the time we walk back to the hotel

about 4 hours later I wake up in a cold sweat and know what's coming and within 30 minutes of waking, I'm kneeling in front of the bowl, horking my dinner out

with that out of the way, I go back to bed and sleep like a baby.

daily tope count was 12, not including Federal border topes

2up thru Mexico

canadian chris screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 10:05 AM Reason: tope count
Old 12-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #58
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

15 December

we wake up at 0600 and are on the road out of Guaymas by 0700. These first few days require some mileage but we'll slow down once we are south of Manzanillo. There's a strong onshore wind but it's at our back when we make the turn at Empalme.

our first stop will be Navajoa for breakfast and gasoline and the road there is as straight and flat as any in Arizona.

(pigs on the wing)

Ciudad Obregon comes & goes and before too long we are in Navajoa. The ST gets curious stares and it's warm enough now that I shed my Fieldsheer and just wear the impact rig. The miles roll by and we cross into Sinaloa

Sinaloa is equally flat and straight and farmers are burning the fields

(smoke on the water)

There's a bit of a hill before Los Mochis and it breaks the monotony of the cuota. Outside of Los Mochis we stop for gas and bladder emptying.

(someone is getting sweaty in her jacket)

The Sinaloa roads seem to be in much better condition that the Sonoran roads and we take advantage of the good pavement to make some time.

(bridge girders)

I make a wrong turn south of Guasave and we end up in the village of Angostura. The local police get us pointed back in the right direction and after paying an extra 27$ to get back on the toll road, we make our way south.

The last 90 minutes of driving seems to drag and my rear end is getting sore. The sun goes down far faster than we anticipate and it's full dark as we roll into Mazatlan.

Making our way to the Malecon, we follow it along to the Hotel Belmar to get our room. Parking is in the lobby, which makes ferrying our baggage easier after a long day. We unpack, shower (agua fria!), plug in our various electrical gizmos for recharging and head out for grub

Supper is pulled pork sammiches on the Malecon, followed by an early night's sleep.

Tope count for the day was 36
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #59
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 817
Talking I could I have missed this

Hey Chris,

Great RR, congratulations on the wedding, I wish you guys long life and happiness. Since ST was there, Jackie and I feel like we were there too. Glad to see the fat girl is taking good care of you two. Seeing the bike on long distance ride again just brings up a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Especially that photo a the California sign; she has been there before

This was summer 2009, the first time we took the Black Beauty to California

I am looking forward to your next update, while we "Impatiently" wait for our clutch plate in Medellin, Co.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #60
Rabble
mountain boy

Oddometer: 13
Caught up and subscribed. Familiar roads for me, but it's been too many years. Have fun, and watch for the unexpected out on those roads!
Rabble is offline   Reply With Quote