Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #61
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Hey Chris,

Great RR, congratulations on the wedding, I wish you guys long life and happiness. Since ST was there, Jackie and I feel like we were there too. Glad to see the fat girl is taking good care of you two. Seeing the bike on long distance ride again just brings up a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I am looking forward to your next update, while we "Impatiently" wait for our clutch plate in Medellin, Co.
Merci Valentino,

with all the roads and countries it has seen, the bike almost qualifies as an ADVrider in its own right!

I hope that the clutch plate is your only South American setback and you have smooth riding from hereon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabble View Post
Caught up and subscribed. Familiar roads for me, but it's been too many years. Have fun, and watch for the unexpected out on those roads!
thanks Rabble! the only consistent aspect to Mexican roads is the unexpected
circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #62
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

16 December 2013

we are anticipating a long day and so are rolling out of early morning Mazatlan at 0630. Traffic is light and we like this strategy of early morning departures.

Our first refuel is in Escuinapa de Hidalgo and we arrive at the the moment when the whole town is lining up for their day's fuel. We share an OXXO coffee and let the line die down before we join it.

Back onto the cuota, we decide to head to Puerto Vallarta via Tepic rather than via San Blas. We need to change some more money and figure Tepic is a goodly-sized town to do it in.

(sugar cane)

We roll into Tepic around 1015 and find a Banorte. Chanda stays with the bike and I pull my Fieldsheer over my impact rig (hereafter known as the Turtle Suit) so that the bank tellers don't freak out that I'm in body armour. There are 22 people in the line ahead of me, all wondering why I'm wearing a heavy jacket in this heat.

The line slowly moves along and I realize that it'll likely be much easier to change money in PV, which is a tourist town...but now there's only 11 people ahead of me, so I decide to wait it out. Eventually I'm facing the teller and he says sorry but money exchange is for bank members only, so it looks like my mid-line hunch was right.

Highway Mx200 through Tepic looks like just another crumpling side street but we carry on and eventually it opens into the countryside and we get our first bit of twisty road.

(minions!)

About halfway to PV we stop for a stretch and get an unsolicited recommendation for the beaches at Chalala from a passerby. Regretfully, it goes onto the 'next time' list.

All I knew about Puerto Vallarta is that it was a destination for [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_wFEB4Oxlo]The Love Boat[\url] and that damned theme song is in my head as we roll into town

(climb aboard, we're expecting you...)

Skirting around the PV airport, we discover that downtown Puerto Vallarta is one big tope of rounded, cobblestone streets. We are very, very happy it isn't raining and the stones wet, because the front wheel is wandering all over the place.

(bumpity bump)

We pass a money change store and pull over. Chanda takes our USD to change and I wait at the bike. As mentioned earlier, who should walk by but ADV inmate [URL=http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=254577]The Chief[\url]!! Small world indeed that he should be strolling by that sidewalk during the 10 minutes we are parked there

We'd love to stay and hang but we have many miles yet to go. We pull out of PV at 1330 and the coast highway south of town is slow, twisty and spectacular.

Somewhere around Tomatlan I hit a big-ass pothole and the left mirror cover pops off. I stop to put it back on and check the rims. No damage!

The sun is going down and it doesn't look like we will be making Manzanillo before dark. Mx200 isn't a road I want to ride in the dark, but we press on because there doesn't seem to be too many options along this stretch of the coast

I see my first tarantula strutting across the highway and then BOOM - the sun has set and it's full-on dark looks like I'll get a little night driving in after all...

about what seems like forever but in fact was only about 40 minutes, we hit the town of Melaque and get a room.

Mexico has flexed its muscle and we both were schooled in getting too ambitious in trying to make miles based on Canadian roads. My neck feels fossilized and my ass is aching.

(bed never felt so good)

Daily Tope count was 41
2up thru Mexico

canadian chris screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 09:12 AM
Old 12-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #63
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

17 December 2013

we had our first rooster last night/way too early this morning. I've lived on farms before and know that they don't just crow once at dawn, but the nonstop cockadoodledooing was a new experience for Chanda. Bienvenidos a Mexico!!

We slept deep and woke up rarin' to go. We said goodbye to Melaque at 0700 and headed towards Manzanillo

Traffic was light and the overcast skies were a refreshing change from yesterday's hot sunshine. The morning light here is gorgeous when the rays of sunshine break through.

Before too long, we cross into the state of Colima and the traffic into Manzanillo picks up.

(Manzanillo welcomes you)

It isn't too far south of Manzanillo that we cross into Michoacan and get our first military check. The checkpoint consists of two teenage kids and a crusty Sergeant type and all three are far more interested in the ST1300 than in our papers or destinations. We exchange some friendly chitchat and they send us on our merry way.

The hills close in and it's back to the coastal twisties that Mx200 is famous for. We begin the "truck dance"

(zoom zoom)

(if you can read this sign, the cow fell out)

We stop for a coke and a smile in Maruata and then refuel in Caleta de Campos. Teenagers are the same the world over, and the one running the gas pump could barely muster the energy to hand us the nozzle before lapsing back to her text messaging

(more spectacular vistas)

Lazlo Cardenas is a smoggy, tope-ridden smerge and we are glad to ride through and enter Guerrero

Almost immediately upon entering the state, the damage from Hurricane Manuel is evident and we encounter a steady series of detours

Before too long, Zihuatanejo is welcoming us!

it's been a much shorter riding day than the previous three, for which we are appreciative. The heat & humidity and getting to us both and we decide to call the Parasio Hotel our home for the night.

Nurse Chanda takes a look at my left butt cheek, which has been getting painfully sore on the drive. There's angry-looking, palm-sized hotspot with two broken blisters - which explains why my ass hurts. As best as we can figure, the source is the leg seam on my tighty-whities getting pinched between my skin and the seat and vigourously trying to wear a hole into me. I decide to go commando for the rest of this trip and see if it makes a difference. Chanda notes that I also tend to sit over to the left on the seat, so I'll be making a point to be conscious of that.

After some blessedly cold showers, we head out into the Zihuatanejo afternoon. We hit the bank and the central market and enjoy a fine dinner of local offerings. It's nice to be done so early...feels like we've finally started our holiday!

Today's tope count was 120
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #64
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Greetings this Christmas Eve (I'm in da joint)

Best to you Chandra & Chris....from da joint...

Just about outta here on two day parole...doin' a Life bit.
Congrats on the nuptuals on Friday the 13th last.
Wishing you the cooler weather we're enjoying....send us some sun.
Loving the RR, great writing style. Keep it up.

C ya when you get back.

Cheers
y@&Marlene
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #65
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
Mx200

Hey Amigos!

Greetings from frosty Colorado! We had 2 feet of snow here in Steamboat last weekend. ENJOY THE WARMTH AMIGOS!

So, I've been lurking for your whole trip. Thanks for posting your ride report ----- I've really enjoyed it. So your recent picture of "doing the truck dance" brought back some memories.

Several years ago my wife and I were killing three weeks during our "mud season" by riding buses south from PV and stopping off and spending a night or two in many of the little beach towns along MX200. This particular day, we were on our way to Playa Azul just north of Lazaro Cardenas. And we were fortunate enough to have the Mexican equivalent of Dale Earnhart driving our bus! When we boarded the bus in Barra de Navidad, the only spot where there were 2 seats together was right up front. We sat down there and I was pretty happy to have the unobstructed view forward through the big windshield. Later I had a few folks tell me that it is considered mala suerte to sit there. Lucky us! The driver took off like he was fired out of a cannon! Even the other Mexicans were a little shocked at his aggression! Ultimately, even with my wife's fingernails digging into my arm, I decided that he probably knew what he was doing. He also had a rosary swinging from the mirror, and a picture of Jesus Christo displayed, so I also figured he also had a good relationship with the big guy upstairs. I also really believe that he was pretty geeked up just because of his eyes, the way he drove, and how he was attacking his chewing gum.

He was driving this loaded bus like it was a sports car. I had been getting nauseous/motion sickness for about the last half hour. Even though I was feeling an urge to puke, my eyes were still glued to the road. We came barreling around a sharp curve and there in front of us were 2 very large and very dead cows about 75' apart laying in the middle of the road with buzzards sitting on them. No shit! The first one had it's legs pointing skyward like she may have actually been scared to death, instead of dying from trauma. The second had it's legs facing the center of the road like it had seen it's bovine friend "meet her maker", and had then tried to skedaddle to avoid the same fate ...... and failed. He never even acted like he saw them! The driver just kept the pedal to the metal. I'm thinking to myself this guy is so cool he must shit crushed ice! No kidding ........ never even let off, he just swerved blindly into the oncoming lane to get around the 1st cow and then swerved back toward our lane to get around the second cow. Holy shit! Remember, this was all while going around a blind curve, greatly exceeding the speed limit, with a sheer drop and no shoulder on our right, and with the buzzards swooping, darting, and beating their wings like mad to keep from becoming a hood ornament for Senor Earnharts's bus! There were actually shrieks from the normally stoic passengers behind us. It was like something out of a Tarantino movie! I still consider it somewhat of a small miracle that we got to where we were going intact, and a larger miracle that no buzzards were actually harmed in the trip. A few had the shit (literally, (remember, I had a front row seat)) scared out of them ........ but amazingly, they all survived.

This little 6-8 second scene is etched in my memory forever. That's a little piece of "My Mexico".

So be careful out there and I hope you two have "the luck of the buzzards".

Feliz Navidad and buen viaje.

Rob
Old 12-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #66
Neverenuff
n00b

Oddometer: 2
great ride report! enjoy!
Neverenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #67
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatman View Post
Best to you Chandra & Chris....from da joint...

Just about outta here on two day parole...doin' a Life bit.
Congrats on the nuptuals on Friday the 13th last.
Wishing you the cooler weather we're enjoying....send us some sun.
Loving the RR, great writing style. Keep it up.

C ya when you get back.

Cheers
y@&Marlene
thanks man - I'm looking forward to seeing if we've taken some of the same roads! Happy New Year to you & Marlene!
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #68
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Hey Amigos!

Greetings from frosty Colorado! We had 2 feet of snow here in Steamboat last weekend. ENJOY THE WARMTH AMIGOS!

So, I've been lurking for your whole trip. Thanks for posting your ride report ----- I've really enjoyed it. So your recent picture of "doing the truck dance" brought back some memories.

Several years ago my wife and I were killing three weeks during our "mud season" by riding buses south from PV and stopping off and spending a night or two in many of the little beach towns along MX200. This particular day, we were on our way to Playa Azul just north of Lazaro Cardenas. And we were fortunate enough to have the Mexican equivalent of Dale Earnhart driving our bus! When we boarded the bus in Barra de Navidad, the only spot where there were 2 seats together was right up front. We sat down there and I was pretty happy to have the unobstructed view forward through the big windshield. Later I had a few folks tell me that it is considered mala suerte to sit there. Lucky us! The driver took off like he was fired out of a cannon! Even the other Mexicans were a little shocked at his aggression! Ultimately, even with my wife's fingernails digging into my arm, I decided that he probably knew what he was doing. He also had a rosary swinging from the mirror, and a picture of Jesus Christo displayed, so I also figured he also had a good relationship with the big guy upstairs. I also really believe that he was pretty geeked up just because of his eyes, the way he drove, and how he was attacking his chewing gum.

He was driving this loaded bus like it was a sports car. I had been getting nauseous/motion sickness for about the last half hour. Even though I was feeling an urge to puke, my eyes were still glued to the road. We came barreling around a sharp curve and there in front of us were 2 very large and very dead cows about 75' apart laying in the middle of the road with buzzards sitting on them. No shit! The first one had it's legs pointing skyward like she may have actually been scared to death, instead of dying from trauma. The second had it's legs facing the center of the road like it had seen it's bovine friend "meet her maker", and had then tried to skedaddle to avoid the same fate ...... and failed. He never even acted like he saw them! The driver just kept the pedal to the metal. I'm thinking to myself this guy is so cool he must shit crushed ice! No kidding ........ never even let off, he just swerved blindly into the oncoming lane to get around the 1st cow and then swerved back toward our lane to get around the second cow. Holy shit! Remember, this was all while going around a blind curve, greatly exceeding the speed limit, with a sheer drop and no shoulder on our right, and with the buzzards swooping, darting, and beating their wings like mad to keep from becoming a hood ornament for Senor Earnharts's bus! There were actually shrieks from the normally stoic passengers behind us. It was like something out of a Tarantino movie! I still consider it somewhat of a small miracle that we got to where we were going intact, and a larger miracle that no buzzards were actually harmed in the trip. A few had the shit (literally, (remember, I had a front row seat)) scared out of them ........ but amazingly, they all survived.

This little 6-8 second scene is etched in my memory forever. That's a little piece of "My Mexico".

So be careful out there and I hope you two have "the luck of the buzzards".

Feliz Navidad and buen viaje.

Rob
thanks Rob - that's an awesome tale! happy new year to you!!
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #69
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverenuff View Post
great ride report! enjoy!
thank you very much for reading!
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #70
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

18 December

After a wonderfully air-conditioned sleep, we wake up at 0600 and roll out of the hotel 45 minutes later. Getting out of Zihuatanejo is easy-peasy, with little traffic and clear road signs. We’re driving into the rising sun, which is pretty blinding, so rather than risk an unseen tope, we stop at an OXXO for coffee and let the sun clear more of the horizon.

Caffeinated and with the sun higher, we enjoy a lovely jungle drive and then the road opens out onto the coast. We make good time and are both looking forward to a much shorter drive today.

(yes we have no bananas)

(hurricane damage)

As we pass through San Jeronimo, we find ourselves at the ass-end of a queue of parked cars and, being far more comfortable with Mexican driving now, we idle along to the head of the line where a Federale motions us to stop and wait. He explains that the bridge is being blocked by political protesters and that it’ll be a 2-3 hour delay. He suggests that we pull over and park but we watch the pedestrians crossing and the odd local delivery bike, and decide to stay in line on the off chance we will be allowed to squirt through.

(don't mind me...)

After about 10 minutes, the officer waves us out of the queue and tells us we can start rolling across the bridge through the foot traffic. The ST is a fat girl to be pushing through crowds, and Chanda gets off to break trail for me. Some wag stuck in the line of trucks shouts “cuánto para su esposa?” and people chuckle. As we get to the blockade center, we find it is comprised of three angry men in blue t-shirts who’ve places logs and rocks across the road. Surrounding them are about 40 even angrier people, demanding to get the bridge reopened so they can get on their way. We sit tight for another 20 minutes, reluctant to push ourselves through the center of the confrontation. After a while, folks exhibit the classic kindness and helpfulness that Mexicans are renowned for, and urge the crowd to part for us.

Once we are on the other side of the river, we find ourselves face to face with a military humvee. They aren’t in any mood to move but we squeak around them with about a half-inch to spare. After than, the road south is clear and we boogie on down to the first Pemex we encounter, to pee and rehydrate.

Continuing south on Mx200 towards Acapulco, we pass more hurricane Manuel damage in Coyuca de Benitez. Being a bridge guy, the structural damage is pretty interesting to me.

(Coyuca bridge bypass)

Our intention is to drive right through the heart of Acapulco, because it seems too much of a shame to bypass around and not see this famous town. Naturally, I miss a turn and we get to see more of Acapulco than intended. I make good headway by lane-splitting and try to ignore my passenger’s death-grip on my waist as we weave through traffic.

(Acapulco welcomes us)

(the smerge)

Closer to the airport, we stop at a Subway for a bite. The parking lot is in shade and the ST could use the cooldown, since the temp gauge is flashing 50C. Subway is offering free refills on drinks, which we take full advantage of. A local biker pulls in and admires the ST. I tell him it’s great on the highway but a little too fat for city traffic.

We take the airport cuota south and the road is empty. There’s a lovely offshore breeze that helps combat the high humidity. Hurricane Manuel has blown out another bridge south of town.

(holy toledo!)

Some North Americans may make snide comments about Mexican inefficiency and "manana" but from what I've seen, their infrastructure response to Hurricane Manuel is a heck of a lot faster and thorough than some of the storm responses I've seen in Canada. Well done, Mexico!

The last hour feels slower but we find Playa Ventura just fine and it turns out to be one of the best overnights of the trip. We choo-choo-choose the Hotel Tortuga and the owner gives us a room about 100’ from the surf line, with an ocean breeze coming into three sides of the room. It feels glorious.

(Hotel Tortuga with our room by the stairs to the roof)

(a place for our stuff)

We plug in our various electronic bits to recharge, take some wonderfully cold showers, do a little bit of snugglin’ and then head out to find a beachside supper while the sun goes down.

2up thru Mexico
Old 12-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #71
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
congrats

congrats to the both of you - and may I say excellent choices ... bike and wifey

PVR ..... ahhhh ... will be there soon too

Mexico is a wonderful place !
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #72
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
congrats to the both of you - and may I say excellent choices ... bike and wifey

PVR ..... ahhhh ... will be there soon too

Mexico is a wonderful place !
thanks man! Have a wonderful trip
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #73
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

19 December

Playa Ventura is an amazing location and after they kill that one goddamned insomniac rooster, it’ll be perfect. We awake early thanks to Foghorn Leghorn and his canine friend Barky McNight but we feel refreshed and ready for the ride to Puerto Angel.

(bright-eyed and bushy tailed!)

Our first stop will be coffee and fuel in Marquelia and on the drive back to Mx200, we pass a Coast Guard member out for his morning run. Turning onto the highway, I again ask myself how a drive south has the rising sun in my eyes

(steamy already)

(a Blue Lagoon)

(if only it was allowed in Scrabble)

(little pink hotels for you & me)

(about as wheelchair unfriendly as can be)

(why does every dog in town feel compelled to lurch to its feet and stagger across the road as soon as we roll in?)

We enjoy an easy drive to Pinotepa Nacional and the traffic is early-morning light. South of PN I fall in behind a local rider and enjoy keeping pace as he redline corners on his Italika DT125 with the 3” wide tires. He has the home advantage of knowing how wide or tight the upcoming corners are, but he can’t lose me on the straightaways.

(dude has skills)

(MLK?)

After the twisties we encounter a series of bicyclists. In my opinion, between the cars, trucks and bad pavement, bicycling these highways takes Balls of Steel. I hope it was for a good cause.

(no spandex here)

With no desire to tarry in Puerto Escondito, we roll right through and make the turn towards Zipolite and Puerto Angel. First we make a stop at the turtle center (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazunte..._Turtle_Center ) to stretch our legs and support their good work. Chanda’s never seen anything like it and the ability to pick up a baby leatherback is a memory she’ll cherish for the rest of her life.

Puerto Angel is my favourite town on the coast and the Hotel Soraya is a place we recommend. Don’t let their ridiculously steep and bumpy driveway deter you!

(does this bike make my ass look fat?)

With Room 28 overlooking the bay, we unpack, shower and head out to take a walk. The local fishermen are all coming in with the day’s catch of Dorado ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahi-mahi ).

Once again we dine on the beach and take time to appreciate the opportunity we have to travel like we are and see the things we have.

Today’s tope count: 107

2up thru Mexico
Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #74
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

20 December

Mx175 has been on my bucket list of roads to ride since 2007. Back then I drove it in a rental car and swore I’d return to do it by motorcycle. If you can, make the trip yourself - you won't regret it.

(early morning Puerto Angel)

(rolling out of the Hotel Soraya)

We do our usual wake up and leave early morning Puerto Angel for a coke and a greasy Bimbo muffin in Pochutla. It’s already way too hot and steamy for coffee.

It isn’t too far out of Pochutla that we begin the climb up the mountains towards the city of Oaxaca. The road snakes and twists back on itself and I keep the transmission bouncing between 1st and 2nd. She’s a heavy girl for some of these corners but I was expecting this and made sure to burn 125km on the current tank of gas yesterday, so as to reduce the weight for this morning. We have plenty of fuel left to get us to Miahuatla.

I love the road and even the shattered pavement and apex potholes keep me grinning as I duck and weave around corners. Just east of Candlaria we encounter sealcoat gravel, which slows us down for a few kilometres, but the road is almost completely empty and for once I don’t have the morning sun in my eyes.

Still photography from a bike rarely captures twisty roads well (or bad traffic!) and it pains me to say that the extensive GoPro footage I took of today’s ride was mysteriously lost. Mx175 was the main reason why I carried that GoPro down here!

Before too long we crest the divide and enjoy the long sweepers down into Miahuatla, where we stretch, refuel and rehydrate. The ST performed beautifully and never faltered on a single corner.

Miahuatla turns out to be the tope capital of Oaxaca and Chanda and I are a little WTF at the sheer number of them in the area. In particular, the unmarked ones in the middle of nowhere leave us scratching our heads. On the plus side, we’ve learned to use topes to pass slower trucks and cars.

(old school Spot tracker)

We roll on into the Oaxaca central valley and traffic slowly builds. They are paving the highway through town and things slow to a crawl as five lanes of Christmas traffic smerge into one.

(Tsuru r Us)

Carrying on through the city, we make the turn to San Lorenzo and get through the final 22 topes before reaching our destination for the next few days. We love the ride and love the bike, but after 7 days of riding, it’ll be good to rest for a little while.

Today’s tope count: 157
2up thru Mexico
Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #75
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,971
Really nice report !