Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #106
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,045
Thanks for the great RR. Best of luck to you both!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #107
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Very nice report.............you guys did some serious miles riding 2up. The most I could do with the wife was a 400+ mile day. She was a trooper doing it in Alaska with a lot of rain, but never steady for hours on end. Those Mexican "Hideaway" motels are great..........No esposa to see your vehicle parked outside with the enclosed garages.

How many total miles and days was your trip?

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #108
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
that ST1300 just goes and goes, like the Duracell bunny ..... nice fast trip !
I couldn't agree more on the qualities of the ST13, which I suppose is why Honda has left the model essentially unchanged for so many years. She's a mile-eatin' mama!

I'd love to return to Mexico on the DR750, but with significantly different riding goals in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
Enjoyed following along on your trip and all the best to both of you in the New Year.
thanks man! Happy new year to you as well
circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #109
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Thanks for the great RR. Best of luck to you both!
thank you Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Very nice report.............you guys did some serious miles riding 2up. The most I could do with the wife was a 400+ mile day. She was a trooper doing it in Alaska with a lot of rain, but never steady for hours on end. Those Mexican "Hideaway" motels are great..........No esposa to see your vehicle parked outside with the enclosed garages.

How many total miles and days was your trip?
thanks! total miles for Mexico came to just over 4400 with another 1500 miles before that on the run from BC to AZ. Total trip time was 16 days.

By comparing what we planned with what we actually did, we've found that Google Maps did a pretty accurate job of estimating driving time. If Google says it's a 200 mile road that takes 7 hours to drive, you can probably bank on that
2up thru Mexico
Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #110
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

lessons learned

Doing this trip again in December, we'd definitely want a minimum of another 5 days to complete it in. The 6-day run down the Pacific coast required too many miles per day at a time of year when daylight hours are short and another 2 or 3 days in that stretch alone would have allowed us to break up the ride with touristy stops, or just have a day or two to chill.

The Michelin PR3s performed flawlessly, be it good concrete, broken pavement, soft detour dirt, or loose gravel.

The bike's suspension took a bit of an ass-kicking with some of the potholes and topes and we both got in the dirt-riding habit of standing up to get through many of them. If you and your pillion haven't done a synchronized stand to get over a small obstacle, it's worth practicing because downtown Acapulco traffic isn't the best place to try it for the first time.

The Thor Impact Rig turned out to be a very good choice to combat the heat & humidity. I don't know how guys like AC Elite manage the equatorial heat in full Klim jackets, because I'd keel over with heatstroke. Combined with my de-armoured Fieldsheer for the chilly trip home, I'm sold on the idea of wearing motorcycling layers rather than bulky single garments.

As far as navigation went, I did all the trip planning with Google and then loaded the KMLs into my Garmin c60 via Basecamp. I did a KML for each day's planned run and then seperate KMLs for our planned side trips in Oaxaca. I also loaded in some waypoints for Honda dealerships and bike repair shops along the way, for a 'just in case' proactivity. In addition to the GPS, I had a colour photocopy of each day's roadmap in the clearcase on my tankbag. My 2013 Guia Roji for Mexico was inside the tank bag, along with spare copies of official documentation.

Between the Scala headsets, the two cameras, the Blackberry tablet, the GoPro wireless system and one cellphone, I do think we had too many electronic bits to manage and would pare those down somehow.

Lastly, we would both make an effort to improve our Spanish well in advance. If the aim of travel is to experience, then language is the doorway through which that happens.

~ chris
2up thru Mexico
Old 01-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #111
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
Chris, I really enjoyed the report. Regarding the electronics, I would consider eliminating the GoPro and maybe one camera. Its a personal decision, but I just am not impressed with Go pro. That's probably because I find motorcycle videos tedious to watch. They are interesting for the first minute and after that...not so much. Glad y'all had a great trip.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #112
v4forever
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Chris,
Like everyone said, really nice trip report.
Your not back in Canada yet, but if you had to ride back up here, how many days would it take you to do the trip again leisurely.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #113
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Chris, I really enjoyed the report. Regarding the electronics, I would consider eliminating the GoPro and maybe one camera. Its a personal decision, but I just am not impressed with Go pro. That's probably because I find motorcycle videos tedious to watch. They are interesting for the first minute and after that...not so much. Glad y'all had a great trip.
I'm pretty disappointed that I lost all my gopro footage from Mx200 and Mx175, but I tend to agree with you. Videos like Bwokentoof's winter trip are examples of how to do it right and I wish I had the talent for that level of quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4forever View Post
Chris,
Like everyone said, really nice trip report.
Your not back in Canada yet, but if you had to ride back up here, how many days would it take you to do the trip again leisurely.
Thanks!

We are already looking at maps to plan bringing the bike back to BC this summer, on a 6 day ride via Yellowstone and Glacier Parks
2up thru Mexico
Old 03-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #114
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Great trip Chris

I have a question about the price of hotels. You said you saw prices like 700 $ (entry 90 I think). Was that in Peso's? I can't imagine a hotel room for 700 Cdn but just in case.

I lived in Victoria from 80 to 84, I was in the Navy.

Wade
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #115
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldiver View Post
Great trip Chris

I have a question about the price of hotels. You said you saw prices like 700 $ (entry 90 I think). Was that in Peso's? I can't imagine a hotel room for 700 Cdn but just in case.

I lived in Victoria from 80 to 84, I was in the Navy.
Hi Wade,

Yes, any costs shown where the dollar sign is at the end of the figure (ie 700$) is in Pesos.

I can't imagine a room for 700CDN either, but I'm sure they are out there

~ chris
2up thru Mexico
Old 03-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #116
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I was fairly sure but I've been wrong before and some of the places looked nice. You did a really good job on the report. I always travel alone but after reading your story and some others here I'm reassessing.

I hope everything works out good in your future travels.

Wade
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #117
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Great write up, what a trip you did in two weeks.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #118
canadian chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldiver View Post
I was fairly sure but I've been wrong before and some of the places looked nice. You did a really good job on the report. I always travel alone but after reading your story and some others here I'm reassessing.

I hope everything works out good in your future travels.
thanks Wade

I divvied up the trip-planning work between her and I, which Chanda said really helped her feel that she was more than just ornamental. I suspect that a few more of the pillions out there would be more 'into it' if they did the planning too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Great write up, what a trip you did in two weeks.
thanks Pongo! I appreciate the feedback!
2up thru Mexico
Old 03-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #119
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469