User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,776
Australian helmets - better standards, lower prices, wider range? Sign here

If you were following the thread HELMET SAFETY, AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS, STATE DIFFERENCES? It was suggested a petition be started to push for some much needed changes to the rules and regs around Australian helmet standards. Why?:
- in some cases you can cross State boundaries and your helmet becomes illegal
- in some States invalid trademarks are specified but no longer available, so technically you can't buy a legal helmet at all
- the complexity for certification deters many helmet manufacturers from bothering with the small Australian market
- resolving the contradictions and redundancy of the State regs needs to happen before reforms at the national level can be effective.

I've started a petition and urge everyone to sign it, and pass the message on to any other riders you know. It has been put together with assistance from two of Australia's most experienced helmet experts, Guy Stanford and Tom Gibson.

PASS IT ON
If every rider emails all the other riders he or she knows, within a few weeks almost every motorbike rider within Australia will have read about the petition. If only half sign it, that could still be up to half a million signatures presented to the relevant government departments.

I'd suggest cutting and pasting the text below into an email:

PETITION - UNIFORM NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR MOTORBIKE HELMETS
There is a contradictory mess of State and Federal laws, regulations and standards that deters importers, restricts the range of helmets, drives up prices and can adversely affect the quality of certification and possibly even manufacturing.

Helmet standards are currently under review so this is a good time to be applying some pressure. This petition will urge the States to scrap or amend their rules to allow one consistent standard at a national level.

This would also pave the way for importing helmets that comply with major international standards like DOT and ECE22 (the European standard) which are arguably more comprehensive standards than the Australian one. It would be a win-win situation all around.

The petition includes links to more information. If you agree and sign the petition, please email it on to every rider you know.

B1 screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 11:24 PM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Thumb

Done
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Strummer
Snail Trailer

Oddometer: 2,085
A subject close to my .... er... head.

Signed.

Or should I say Sniged

Well done B1 for all the work putting this together. It will hopefully help a lot of people.

Strummer's music here - https://soundcloud.com/vospar-gem
Videos here:http://www.youtube.com/user/strummerdrz?feature=mhum
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
rookie#1
Banned

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
If you were following the thread HELMET SAFETY, AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS, STATE DIFFERENCES? it was suggested a petition be started to push for some much needed changes to the rules and regs around Australian helmet standards.

I've started a petition and urge everyone to sign it, and pass the message on to any other riders you know. It has been put together with assistance from two of Australia's most experienced helmet experts, Guy Stanford and Tom Gibson.

PASS IT ON
If every rider emails all the other riders he or she knows, within a few weeks almost every motorbike rider within Australia will have read about the petition. If only half sign it, that could still be up to half a million signatures presented to the relevant government departments.

I'd suggest cutting and pasting the text below into an email:

PETITION - UNIFORM NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR MOTORBIKE HELMETS
There is a contradictory mess of State and Federal laws, regulations and standards that deters importers, restricts the range of helmets, drives up prices and can adversely affect the quality of certification and possibly even manufacturing.

Helmet standards are currently under review so this is a good time to be applying some pressure. This petition will urge the States to scrap or amend their rules to allow one consistent standard at a national level.

This would also pave the way for importing helmets that comply with major international standards like DOT and ECE22 (the European standard) which are arguably more comprehensive standards than the Australian one. It would be a win-win situation all around.

The petition includes links to more information. If you agree and sign the petition, please email it on to every rider you know.
So what are you saying is your catalyst for this is?? Are you hoping helmets will become safer or cheaper??
rookie#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
scrobs
Armchair Drifter

Oddometer: 201
Im in
I would hope we would get a better helmet for a fair price.
scrobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie#1 View Post
So what are you saying is your catalyst for this is?? Are you hoping helmets will become safer or cheaper??
if you read the link provided to the previous thread, i think it's pretty clear that my personal catalyst is safety... or more specifically to reduce the number of brain injuries.

i don't think that the "cheaper helmets" mentioned in the title is a poor motivation in any case. everyone has a budget when they purchase a helmet.... if helmet prices fall then the buyer will potentially have a wider range to choose from, and may be able to afford a brand previously out of their reach.

it is NOT a push for bypassing our local motorbike shops. the previous thread emphasised the need to to try fitment of the helmet you are buying, and NOT buy over the internet. it also stated support for option 2 of the current AAAC review on helmet standards, which is the australian standard accepting major international standards like the ECE22 and DOT e.g. these helmets would still have the australian approval but manufactured to what is often a better standard.

B1 screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 11:28 PM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
Terryc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Signed

Great work Barry!
Terryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
rookie#1
Banned

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
if you read the link provided to the previous thread, i think it's pretty clear that my personal catalyst is safety... or more specifically to reduce the number of brain injuries.

i don't think that the "cheaper helmets" mentioned in the title is a poor motivation in any case. everyone has a budget when they purchase a helmet.... if helmet prices fall then the buyer will potentially have a wider range to choose from, and may be able to afford a brand previously out of their reach.

it is NOT a push for bypassing our local motorbike shops. the previous thread emphasised the need to to try fitment of the helmet you are buying, and NOT buy over the internet. it also stated support for option 2 of the current AAAC review on helmet standards, which is the australian standard accepting major international standards like the ECE22 and DOT e.g. these helmets would still have the australian approval but manufactured to what is often a better standard.

Then good for you, I sincerely hope things go the way you're pushing for and the consumer is able to benefit from such an initiative/change. I'm hoping to by an XD4 soon and would love to be able to get that at cheaper cost to me without costing any jobs on these shores or the closure of even more bike shops!

Cheers, Brendan
rookie#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
F_R_E_D
Lurker

Oddometer: 25
Signed
F_R_E_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
Russ

Oddometer: 14,436
In.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 542
petition

Signed.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
kpresco2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Signed.
kpresco2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #13
Tenerrod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Signed and passed on.
We need this.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #14
topline
Snail Trailer

Oddometer: 122
Signed
Old 12-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #15
Dirty3
Just add sauce

Oddometer: 106
Done. If everyone on this site were to sign on, we've got a powerful lobby group.
Dirty3 is offline   Reply With Quote