ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #136
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer
 
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Muk, WA
Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
What are they doing to these things to get that kind of perfomance out of them?
You mean to be able to beat those awesome pushrod, aircooled, 2 valve, 750s?!
__________________
"If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'"

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #137
bikerfish
flyfishandride
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: western pa
Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
You mean to be able to beat those awesome pushrod, aircooled, 2 valve, 750s?!
haha! yeah, I think putting gas in the tank is a good start!!
horsepower is important, but its how it gets to the ground that's more important, that's why the xr750's have lasted so long, but I can see the end coming, they just cost too damn much to run, buy a kawi, tweak it a bit, and ride the wheels off it. Harley has that new 750 engine, let's see em step up to the plate and do something with it instead of whining about the other bikes being faster.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #138
Calkins
On Any Sunday...
 
Calkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Oddometer: 499
That is why I just bought a modern Triumph 865 twin...


...for $280...


__________________
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
1973 Yamaha RT3
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865

WANTED: 1973 Yamaha DT3 & 1973 Yamaha TX650 Bikes & Parts
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:39 AM   #139
buls4evr
No Marks....
 
buls4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Michissippi & Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 2,318
Honda has a new CBR650F twin coming out later this year. Perhaps another Honda flattracker looms in the near future? Does the rulebook allow Rekluse clutches in this racing?.....anyone try it? Great soft power delivery from my KTM with one that would seem great for coming out of corners.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #140
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept
 
Motomochila's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: N 34 22.573' W 118 34.328' Jes North of LA a few.
Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Honda has a new CBR650F twin coming out later this year. Perhaps another Honda flattracker looms in the near future? Does the rulebook allow Rekluse clutches in this racing?.....anyone try it? Great soft power delivery from my KTM with one that would seem great for coming out of corners.
The only "twin" in that CBR 650F is in the "twin spar" frame. It's a four banger.
__________________
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2014 EXC500, 2012 BMW GTL1600 and 16 other motorcycle projects in various stages of completion. It's an addiction thing.
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #141
Calkins
On Any Sunday...
 
Calkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Oddometer: 499
AMA encourages slipper clutches, for safety reasons.

This is the list of approved bikes that are currently being manufactured. Some people are using older bikes that are approved, case by case.

Singles Bikes;

• Honda 2009-2014 CRF450R
• Kawasaki 2006-2014 KX450F
• KTM 2009-2014 450 SX-F
• KTM 2012-2014 450 SX-F FE
• KTM 2009 450 XC
• Suzuki 2009-2014 RM-Z450
• Yamaha 2009-2014 YZ450F

Twins Engines;

Aprilia: RSV 1000, 550
BMW: FS 800 GT/ GS / R
Buell: CR1125 / XBR / 1200
Ducati: 748, 848, other air cooled
H-D: XR 750 / XR1200 / 883
Honda: RS 750 / NC700X
Kawasaki: 650 Ninja
KTM: 990 Super Duke
Suzuki: SV / DL 1000, SV 650
Triumph: Bonneville Scrambler, America, Speedmaster
Yamaha: Tenere 750 / Super Tenere 1200 / Bolt
__________________
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
1973 Yamaha RT3
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865

WANTED: 1973 Yamaha DT3 & 1973 Yamaha TX650 Bikes & Parts
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #142
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkins View Post
700, 740, and 750 are the common sizes for the Experts. Bore and stroke are/can be changed. The Pro Twins must have the stock bore and stroke. My buddy Alan is the owner of Racing Unlimited. Be owns the bike that Shayna killed the Pro Twins class with last fall.
that is so cool that she was able to do that, on any bike, but it seems even sweeter with the Kaw. I never even knew the Ninja 600's and 650's were 4cy - 2 cyl, it was just another Ninja to me. Ever since Bryan Smith won on it I was like "he beat the Harleys on a what!"

Maybe the most flying under the radar story in motorsports.

Do you know how the 650 Ninja works stock, and how they work in race form? I was under the impression for example that the BMW 800 twins (I could be wrong) both cylinders fire together, so they run like a 2 cyl single, both pistons TDC at the same time.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #143
Calkins
On Any Sunday...
 
Calkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Do you know how the 650 Ninja works stock, and how they work in race form? I was under the impression for example that the BMW 800 twins (I could be wrong) both cylinders fire together, so they run like a 2 cyl single, both pistons TDC at the same time.
The Triumph Bonneville and Thruxton and the Kawasaki EX650 Ninja have a 360* crankshaft, firing every other time.

EDIT: The Kaw is 180* cranks, not 360*.

The Triumph America, Scrambler, and Speedmaster and the Harley-Davidson XL1200 and XR750 have a 270* crankshaft, having an offset firing order. The 270* firing order promotes traction, because of the added "dead spot" in the power delivery.
__________________
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
1973 Yamaha RT3
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865

WANTED: 1973 Yamaha DT3 & 1973 Yamaha TX650 Bikes & Parts

Calkins screwed with this post 05-28-2014 at 11:35 AM
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #144
DogBoy OP
Not a Gnarly Adventurer
 
DogBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 1,429
EX 650 has a 180 degree firing order.
__________________
"I were riding so fast, I were sucking rabbits out of the hedges" IOM TT racer Guy Martin - Thanks to rallybug
DogBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #145
Calkins
On Any Sunday...
 
Calkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Oddometer: 499
My bad...
__________________
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
1973 Yamaha RT3
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865

WANTED: 1973 Yamaha DT3 & 1973 Yamaha TX650 Bikes & Parts

Calkins screwed with this post 05-28-2014 at 11:35 AM
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #146
Calkins
On Any Sunday...
 
Calkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Oddometer: 499
EX650



Bonneville & Thruxton



America, Scrambler, & Speedmaster

__________________
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
1973 Yamaha RT3
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865

WANTED: 1973 Yamaha DT3 & 1973 Yamaha TX650 Bikes & Parts
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #147
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkins View Post
The Triumph Bonneville and Thruxton and the Kawasaki EX650 Ninja have a 360* crankshaft, firing every other time.

EDIT: The Kaw is 180* cranks, not 360*.

The Triumph America, Scrambler, and Speedmaster and the Harley-Davidson XL1200 and XR750 have a 270* crankshaft, having an offset firing order. The 270* firing order promotes traction, because of the added "dead spot" in the power delivery.
appreciate the info. it's tricky to think about, the pictures of the crank are cool when you're thinking about the details of how they fire. do you know if the BMW's run bike a big single, as in both cyl's fire at the same time?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #148
Calkins
On Any Sunday...
 
Calkins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa Falls, Iowa
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
appreciate the info. it's tricky to think about, the pictures of the crank are cool when you're thinking about the details of how they fire. do you know if the BMW's run bike a big single, as in both cyl's fire at the same time?
Both cylinders firing at the same time would be a "twingle" which AMA does not allow.

"To prohibit the practice of “twingling” a twin, any modification of engine components to alter the stock OEM firing order/spacing of the cylinders is prohibited."

http://amaproracing.cdn.racersites.c...2014-Rules.pdf
__________________
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa USA
1973 Yamaha RT3
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865

WANTED: 1973 Yamaha DT3 & 1973 Yamaha TX650 Bikes & Parts
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #149
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkins View Post
Both cylinders firing at the same time would be a "twingle" which AMA does not allow.

"To prohibit the practice of “twingling” a twin, any modification of engine components to alter the stock OEM firing order/spacing of the cylinders is prohibited."

http://amaproracing.cdn.racersites.c...2014-Rules.pdf
Would a twingle and a 180 firing of the same engine have significant differences in power?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #150
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,730
Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, but if anyone could chime in on any bikes that went into production as twingles I'd be curious to know which ones they were.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014