Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #211
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
No question it is the bike in her case.

The EX also doesn't need to be rebuilt very often compared to the XR. I'd love to see Suzuki get back in there with the redesigned V-Strom motors and Yamaha with their new bikes. Lots of potential.
Ive seen Mikey Martin set fast time on the Triumph,but the thing wasnt healthy in the main afterwards. They might be better off running a Triumph Triple in the long run,cant be much if any wider and heavier.

After watching Shayna win on her 450 against a really fast pack of guys,she is definitely the real deal. 5 bikes flatout into a corner and 1 holds it on longer most every time,and passes on the outside like its nothing.
Shayna has a lotta heart and wants to win bad.

Jake Johnson took right to his new Kawi,hes a bigger guy but from the first lap I saw him go it was obvious he was fast on it,didnt lack for hp.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #212
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
The Triumph makes too little HP and torque in the right places (and I read it is very heavy). The Ducati/Aprillia make too much. You have to have the right balance. I would like to see Jeff Carver get one of the new Yamaha 700s going on the circuit. 2/3 of an FZ09.....sounds like it could be a winner too. the BMW just can't cut it. Too feeble.
If you saw Shayna at Springfield last year then you have no doubt IT's THE BIKE! Put her on the Kwacker and she is competitive all day. Even tall guys like Wiles and Robinson catching all that wind on them are fast. The EX has 2K more RPMs on top end than the XR750 and pulls just as well off the corners. A great engine.
When that BMW ate it's lunch at about 120mph 3/4 down the front straight it sounded bad,loud clang/bang scrape noises and slid sideways towards the fence before he got the clutch pulled in. Neat looking bike and nicely built but has never really looked like the bike to have for dirttrack.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #213
DogBoy OP
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Kantuckey.... maybe you can answer this for us? What has happened to the PRO -Twins class on the miles? Why did they run 450s again at Sacto? And, what will they run at Springfield?
Aren't the Basic Twins just for Springfield? They didn't race them at Sacramento or Colonial Downs last year either.

I can understand the decision to race Pro Singles in Sacramento because I'm guessing there aren't as many twins out here. Many Expert Twins racers didn't come out due to travel expense. There were just 26 entries in the Expert Twins class for Sacramento. I doubt you would have seen much of a field in the Basic Twins class if they had chosen to run it.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #214
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Oddometer: 499
As for the Pro Twins, I asked Dan Johnsen about that on FaceBook a few days ago;

Quote:
We are going to have a Pro Twins champion at the end of the year. And yes we would like to have more races for 2015 but need to make sure it's economically viable for all parties. The short term is that it hurts AMA Pro's back gate but in the long term it's better for the sport. I'm still crunching the numbers to make it work.
As for the Triumphs, I personally teched both of Mikey's bikes at Knoxville. They both weighed in right at 350 pounds... DRY The minimum is 310, as raced. At Knoxville, Mikey felt that he wanted lower horsepower for that track, prior to that weekend. After practice, he said he needed more power. Bill has probably a half dozen engine combos that they play with. At Knoxville, it was a stock bore and stroke 865. Their "big" engine is a 995 big bore. When they had restrictors, I asked Bill what they had for power. It was right around 90, if I remember correctly. Weeks after that, Bill shipped an engine off to have custom cams dynoed.

As for Shayna on a Kaw, the Pro Twins Kaw that she kicked ass on was my pal Alan's bike, from right here in northern Iowa. With an engine swap, Robby Pearson finished the season out with that same bike in the Expert class. For this year and beyond, Cory Texter is Alan's rider.

2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
Triumph Speedmaster - Land Speed Racer

Calkins screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 01:26 PM
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #215
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive seen Mikey Martin set fast time on the Triumph,but the thing wasnt healthy in the main afterwards. They might be better off running a Triumph Triple in the long run,cant be much if any wider and heavier.
Unfortunately the rules will prevent Triumph from running a triple. Only twins are allowed.

Engines
a.
Engines must be homologated for use in AMA Pro Racing
competition.
b.
Only 4-stroke twin cylinder engines that are designed for street
production motorcycles may be used with the written approval of
AMA Pro Racing.
c.
Racing-only engines must be 4-stroke twin cylinder engines
designed specifically for racing and need not meet the U.S street
production motorcycle requirement provided that they meet the
displacement restriction.
Currently the only approved race-only
engines are the XR750 Harley-Davidson and the RS750 Honda.
d.
Engine Displacement
i.
550cc 1250cc with the following restrictions:
Racing only engines may not exceed 750cc (See 4.1
h)
Engines greater than 1000cc are restricted to air/oil
cooled.
Engines that were originally under 750ccs may be
bored and stroked but may not exceed 750ccs as
a final displacement
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #216
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

And if your curious what's been homologated, here's the list, straight from the AMA website:

2014 AMA Pro Flat Track Approved Twins Engines
Updated: 12/05/2013

Aprilia: RSV1000, 550
BMW: FS 800 GT / GS / R
Buell: CR1125 / XBR / 1200
Ducati: 748, 848, other air cooled
H-D: XR 750 / XR1200 / 883
Honda: RS 750 / NC700X
Kawasaki: 650 Ninja
KTM: 990 Super Duke
Suzuki: SV / DL 1000, SV650
Triumph: Bonneville Scrambler, America, Speedmaster
Yamaha: Tenere 750 / Super Tenere 1200 / Bolt
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
Old 07-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #217
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Aren't the Basic Twins just for Springfield? They didn't race them at Sacramento or Colonial Downs last year either.

I can understand the decision to race Pro Singles in Sacramento because I'm guessing there aren't as many twins out here. Many Expert Twins racers didn't come out due to travel expense. There were just 26 entries in the Expert Twins class for Sacramento. I doubt you would have seen much of a field in the Basic Twins class if they had chosen to run it.
The poor 450s just scream their guts out on the Mile and don't belong there. I know the last time they were at Springfield there were a lot of engine failures. That can't be healthy for the riders wallets. The Pro Twins can take the beating that a mile requires, AND provide a training ground for those riders that want to advance to big bikes later. Just add souped up engine. We had "juniors" once and they need them again IMO. There will never be more twins if they race once /year.....sort of a self fulfilling prophecy. They should run them on every mile/half mile and that would make it worth building one. Cheaper than blowing up a 450 engine at every mile or rebuilding one extra engine to put in . The AMAPro racing bunch needs to make a decision and keep with it for a longer time period. Those engines are readily available on EBay also and their different sounds add a lot to the racing. They are clearly faster. They should go back to the yellow plate with blk numbers too. black with white letters is too much like expert. Rant done....sorry. Rant not directed at you DogBoy, but at AMA schizophrenia over the years. We have seen it all from them.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #218
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There will never be more twins if they race once /year
But they don't race once a year. There are 2 Springfield races

I do get what your saying. And agree to a certain point. But the original build of a twin has got to be a big hit to the wallet. Especially for team/families coming up from the amateur ranks who already have a a 450 in the arsenal. Sure, if they blow them up at the miles, and that's a big if when they should have run the mile at Amateur Nationals, then it could get more expensive in the long run. Not sure if they are all looking at the long haul, sometimes the big upfront expenses are distracting from seeing down the road.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #219
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
And if your curious what's been homologated, here's the list, straight from the AMA website:

2014 AMA Pro Flat Track Approved Twins Engines
Updated: 12/05/2013

Aprilia: RSV1000, 550
BMW: FS 800 GT / GS / R
Buell: CR1125 / XBR / 1200
Ducati: 748, 848, other air cooled
H-D: XR 750 / XR1200 / 883
Honda: RS 750 / NC700X
Kawasaki: 650 Ninja
KTM: 990 Super Duke
Suzuki: SV / DL 1000, SV650
Triumph: Bonneville Scrambler, America, Speedmaster
Yamaha: Tenere 750 / Super Tenere 1200 / Bolt
Triple probably wouldnt be the thing anyways. I guess there's no interest in bringing an RS750 back out,too much of a collector bike now,they were fast in their day.

Hopefully they approve the new Yamaha 700 twin soon
Old 08-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #220
DogBoy OP
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Castle Rock, WA TT tomorrow night. I read they added a second jump for this race. Will be glued to the live streaming.

Evening schedule on the AMA Pro Flat Track website as a PDF.

All times are Pacific.

Practice - 3:30

Heats - 7:30

Mains - 9:30
Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #221
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Triple probably wouldnt be the thing anyways. I guess there's no interest in bringing an RS750 back out,too much of a collector bike now,they were fast in their day.

Hopefully they approve the new Yamaha 700 twin soon
M3 Racing out of Minnesota runs a RS in the Pro Twins class. They are said to own all spares now.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #222
kirk69er
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
twins race last night on FTL.

was halbert#7 on a kawi last night at the rock?
if you cant beat em.. join em..
kk
kirk69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #223
DogBoy OP
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Sure looked like a Kawi. Wonder if they're trying to save the HD for GNC races?
Old 08-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #224
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,399
TT tonight televised on fans choice

Link

http://www.fanschoice.tv/watch-live/ama/flat-track
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #225
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk69er View Post
was halbert#7 on a kawi last night at the rock?
if you cant beat em.. join em..
kk
Big Al at Racing Unlimited built Sammy an engine over the weekend. Alan has probably six of his engines in GNC bikes this year.