ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #2401
Sfcootz
Banjoboy is my guru.

Oddometer: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag3 View Post
Yea, only hurts when I breathe. Sneezing is awesome. It will go away sooner of later. Pain is like pleasure, lasts for awhile then goes away.
Heal up quick.

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #2402
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 493
WARPED: A Personal Story In Pictures

So, I'm probably supposed to put this in a ride report, or someone already created a thread for WARPED rides or whatever, but I'm over half a bottle of wine deep at this point and if I don't do this bitch now, I'll forget everything (really, been concussed too many times short term memory is jacked) and it will never get done

Anyhow, this is only the second motorcycle rally I've ever been too, and the first one I rode to solo there and back, in this case from Solana Beach to Kernville. The solo time was a spring cleaning for my brain. Got all the junk out. Just awesome, wonderful experience. The wind was unreal on the 395/173 though. I was wondering why the highway patrol was waving people down; RV's and tractor trailers were all pulled over. I was pushed all over the lane and the wind noise in my helmet was ridiculous.

Anyhow, first stop on the way up. Not sure if it was an omen of things to come or just a reflection on the "high desert" part of CA, and I'm sure some of the more experienced Warped attendees can tell me just exactly what the hell this is, but looks like a meth or crack smoking setup. Just left there, no big deal. Front steps of the gas station I stopped at. What the hell man!?

photo IMG_20140425_124326_zps66388d14.jpg

Obligatory selfie. I seriously don't know why I took this. I think I was really into my first "real" motorcycle trip and also was trying to look cool. All I know it that it was just prior to Warner Pass, cold as shit, took ten minutes to figure out the timer/set up the cell phone to take the pic, it's underexposed, and there's some weather rolling in.

photo IMG_20140425_151304_zps7d7ae8fe.jpg

First night there. Had to set up tent in the rain because someone posted about the weather the day before. Name started with a J, I think I made "brown drinks" for everyone that stopped by the table as long as the ingredients held up. It's a bit of a creeper as drinks go and while Crown Royal is not "artisan" or unique, it gets the job done and it's fun. Also, I was worried prior to this event that you guys wouldn't keep up on the drinking. Yeah...no. That handle of Crown was DESTROYED in short order.

photo IMG_20140425_200737_zps23416e18.jpg

Some of us had more humble accommodations than others; in Shooby's case an abandoned refrigerator box would of been better than this "mountain hardware" brand condom with a reservoir tip

photo IMG_20140425_220853_zps93d59308.jpg

Beautiful setting in the morning:

photo IMG_20140426_090124_zps6d1cfcea.jpg

Until this happens

photo IMG_20140426_090057_zps26739ed7.jpg

FZ cruzer set up a nice big bike loop on Saturday

photo IMG_20140426_110840_zpsf45cc781.jpg

It was cold as shit and lightly raining, but dammit man, the scenery was unreal. Because of motorcycles, I have seen areas of California I would of never seen otherwise.

photo IMG_20140426_110822_zpsf07c0fe2.jpg

When we got off sealed tarmac, things got interesting for me at least

photo IMG_20140426_115850_zpscba123de.jpg

It was slick

photo IMG_20140426_115933_zps9001d576.jpg

photo IMG_20140426_120504_zpsc9e6ec7c.jpg

photo IMG_20140426_120300_zps51dfd6f9.jpg

Shooby:
 photo IMG_20140426_121326_zpsdc4575d6.jpg

FZ Cruzer:
 photo IMG_20140426_121405_zps8831818b.jpg

Bottom line is that we turned around after meeting a couple other guys (Afry and Kris) and did the rest of our riding at Kern River Brewing Co. Christ, that food was good. Know what else was good!? Their cider! No bullhshit though, amazing stuff.

Walking to dinner, this is the scene, why the HELL have I never been here before!?:

photo IMG_20140426_173524_zpsd245321a.jpg

Look at the dog. I love this dog. "Sunny" I believe was the name. This is when dinner first started. Good dinner too.

photo IMG_20140426_190422_zpsff5169be.jpg

Best hat ever? CA stu lurks in the photobomb section (hope that USB connection is not stealing too much power anymore man!)

photo IMG_20140426_193605_zpscda725f0.jpg

Stopped in Johanesburg, CA for gas on the way back. I thought Joburg was in South Africa, what the hell. I am serious. Why does this place exist? It was weird and awesome at the same time. Notice the "Guns4U" sign in the background. It's like "cash4gold", but even better!

photo IMG_20140427_120237_zps29b13f43.jpg

It got weirder. Had to take work call there, so wandered around gas station/post office while talking. Noticed this sign, which clearly says "bear" on it:

photo IMG_20140427_120405_zpsd514d54c.jpg

And on this 50 gal drum; god knows if it had crisco in it, but seriously, did you guys put these weird digital bear stickers here!?

photo IMG_20140427_120647_zpsba7f9ce3.jpg

No pics, but stopped later on to help some cruiser guys on the side of the 215 with guess what? A dead battery-jumper cables man, they solve a common problem!

I shit you not, randomly stopped off of the 15 outside of Temecula to snack and stretch out, and where do I stop but Rainbow, CA. After all the crap you guys gave me on this thread I just started laughing!

photo IMG_20140427_143929_zps070c5650.jpg

And, the references kept rolling...unpacked, got cleaned up, and stopped by whole foods to grab some wine and what do I see:

photo IMG_20140427_192837_zps70048dc9.jpg

I have now completed the bottle of wine because this post took waaaay longer than I thought (of course), but dammit man, what a great group of folks. So nice to finally be able to put faces to the names and meet some great humans. I hope to stay in touch with my new friends over time and can't wait to hang out again.

stoke

p.s.-ok, who's orange arai helmet was that hanging out in the men's bathroom for like three days with the sena charging who's light was always red?! I HAVE to know!!!

p.s.s.-no really. why did the light stay red the whole time? did the helmet smell like poop at all? serious question, guys were constantly wrecking house in the stalls next to the sinks
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #2403
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke
p.s.-ok, who's orange arai helmet was that hanging out in the men's bathroom for like three days with the sena charging who's light was always red?! I HAVE to know!!!

p.s.s.-no really. why did the light stay red the whole time? did the helmet smell like poop at all? serious question, guys were constantly wrecking house in the stalls next to the sinks

I think it was Aussie Eddie's helmet. I thought it was weird that he left it so long there, too.
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #2404
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Man, when we first heard of this "Warped" event, we talked it over, but it fell on a busy weekend in the midst of several busy weekends, so we decided we'd have to miss it. Reading all'ya'all's tales... We're thinking next year we'll have to re-prioritize. Instead, we attended the antique farm equipment show. It was good...

...But not great. Looks like you all had a great time.

Next year...

MV
Old 04-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #2405
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperX View Post
It was FANTASTIC meeting so many of you! Thanks for including me, feeding me, making me laugh, setting up an infirmary for the ATK, loaning me battery chargers, sleeping bags, and providing this real cool cup/glass squishy thing that my SO immediately claimed.

As soon as I figure out how to post photos from flickr I will do so!

Thank you so much for joining us this weekend. It wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable without you. I'm amazed that you were able to ride all the way down and back in the truck without choking me to death.

Folks, I had an amazing time. Thanks so much to Mike for hosting such a great event. Gerg, you are the annual co-host of this event (except when you are also the primary host). The sheer amount of time, effort and expense that you put into this event is absolutely amazing. Thank you! Additionally, thanks to Scott, Bill, and all of you other folks who helped make this thing run so smoothly. You guys all kick some serious ass.

Cootz: You seem to fit right in with this crowd of crazy, drunk weirdos. Not sure that's a good thing.

Lastly: WE BEAT THE KNOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #2406
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveSidecar View Post
Home Safe... thanks everyone for a great time.

Made remarkable time arriving home... 60 mph normal top cruising speed on the URAL plus 70 mile tailwind down Tehacapi Willow Springs Cutoff yielded a 110mph cruising speed.. handling on the sidecar is somewhat squirrelly at this speed. The rig was smoking kind of funny when I got home.

Randy from Wrightwood
Hey Randy, I passed you in Palmdale.

I followed you for several miles, and watched the wind gusts shift you around a bit. I could see your wheels noticeably canted over much of the time.

Looked like you were handling it with aplomb. I was clocking you about 65 IIRC.

Hope your smoking issue is minor. Cool rig you have.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #2407
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 952
Yep was my helmet. Had it plugged into the wrong USB hub. Was only getting .2 of an amp. No wonder it took so long. Oh it did go for some rides too.
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #2408
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 674
Thanks to all for a great weekend!
Next year I'll be back on two wheels...
Cheers,
"The gimp on crutches"
Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #2409
Number8teen
Uncompetent

Oddometer: 10,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rediRrakaD View Post
Thanks to all for a great weekend!
Next year I'll be back on two wheels...
Cheers,
"The gimp on crutches"
You moved pretty quickly when new kegs were tapped..
Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #2410
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8teen View Post
You moved pretty quickly when new kegs were tapped..
Beer: Healer and pain killer.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #2411
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,312
Wen to DV on staurday

Cane creek road, snow and cold

On the way back riding on hot springs road

666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #2412
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
Chris Horgan emailed me this and thanks all of you for your donations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHorgan
Wanted to let you know the WARPED Adventure Riders raised $1176 last night for Stewards of the Sequoia to help keep their roads and trail and public lands open to motorized recreation.
I hope everyone will fill out a Stewards member form so they can receive our Newsletter and add their name to the growing numbers of Stewards members for increased clout.
http://stewardsofthesequoia.org/membership.php

If any of the riders who donated would like a tax receipt please have them contact me with the amount they donated, their name, email and address.

Thank you all. Your support is what enables Stewards of the Sequoia to continue fighting and winning to protect your access to public lands.
--
Chris Horgan
Executive Director
Stewards of the Sequoia
Division of CTUC 501c3 Non Profit
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #2413
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
Chris Horgan emailed me this and thanks all of you for your donations!

WE BEAT THE KNOBS!

SOS RULES IN SEQUOIA!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #2414
Sfcootz
Banjoboy is my guru.

Oddometer: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post

WE BEAT THE KNOBS!

Isn't that pretty much a daily event?

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #2415
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,914
huge success! big thanks to mike, gerg and the crew for all the hardwork.

great meeting new people whose names i'm familiar and finally able to put faces.

we all had a great time. warped was the destination. the ride from home to camp was a long one, we are gluttons when it comes to dirt and extreme weather. took us 9 hours from l.a. to camp with an hour or so to spare before the saturday night dinner and festivity. the weather that afternoon and on was perfect. thanks arnie and crew for the warm camp fire.

random pics on saturday PM

let's beat the knobs!

great contribution from everyone for supporting SOS

shawn, the adv banner meister this event. thanks.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote