Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Sorry for the delay, but the new Permatex 2 seemed to have done the trick. The pump appears to be sealed well, and I will forever use this stuff when doing fuel pump service (which hopefully isn't often).
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #17
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
5 months (and several thousand miles) later, My fuel pump is leaking again. Just enough to be noticeable on the skid plate... no drips on the garage floor yet.

Disappointing.

I just wanted to update this thread if others are in my same predicament. Using non-hardening gasket sealer is a good temporary solution, but doesn't appear to be a long term fix.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
If its any consolation, this problem is not unique to a KTM or even bikes, cars, trucks etc with in tank pumps and plastic fuel tanks have all kinds of issues with the flanges leaking where they bolt to the tank. I just replaced my 94 jeep wranglers fuel tank gasket for the 4th time in 200K miles.. And they are like 35 bucks each.. The plastic tank on the jeep has swelling and distortion issues too .
pdxmotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #19
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,706
Maybe a slightly thicker oring

It could be the closest to the OEM oring size (ID=60mm, t=3mm) but slightly thicker in inches. Even without boring the hole.
Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #20
sparwood_rider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Pissed My trials and tribulations with the *ing o-rings

I wish I knew the root cause of this. Observations:

- The tank hole looks warped when you look inside, but the hole's diameter is constant where the o-ring seals.
- The flange surface on the tank is definitely not flat. When you disconnect the bolts, you can feel the tank flex. There's no doubt in my mind about this.
- The inboard front bolt always seems to be wet.
- Fuel comes out from under the flange on the front edge. The flange edge that faces the front of the bike.

Trying to band aid without truly knowing the root cause...

I've tried several of the 932's without success. I'm getting tired of pulling the tank on and off and staring at the ground under my bike looking for pools of fuel. I've tried both 75 durometer and 90 durometer. The diameter of the 932 o-rings were around 2.70 to 2.77 mm. I tried Seal All. It didn't seal sweet all even though I cleaned everything will alcohol and let it evaporate and take my time. I waited for it to get tacky… no luck. I'm currently testing the Dow Corning 55 o-ring sealant. I was able to swell the 75 durometer o-ring to 2.99 mm and then I put it back together. You can buy small containers of Dow 55 for $3 on-line. My local store wanted $80 for a toothpaste size container! I put the Dow 55 on the flange o-ring as well. It went into the tank relatively easy compared to the other trials. I put an excessive amount on both the o-rings. At this point I'm willing to try anything. I just put this on tonight. I also put "T Tape" a thread sealant used for natural gas and gasoline on the bolts. I put a lot of it on. The inboard front bolt is suspect as it always seems to be wet.

If this doesn't work, my next trials will be with Permatex form-a-gasket 1 and 2. I'll try the 2 first.

Hopefully something works. This is more of a vent than anything else. I'll give an update to let people know if the Dow 55 or T Tape did anything positive.

sparwood_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #21
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,706
I suggest trying a slightly thicker oring.

Thicker than 3.0mm. Also apply some vaseline when inserting. Seems you are really close.
Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #22
sparwood_rider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question So far so good

24 hrs and no drips which is more promising than anything else I've tried.

sparwood_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #23
AlxT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I recently changed the filters and used a handful of Silicon - base lubricant (that stated on the label that it doesn't react with gas or petrol) on the oring as well as the tank itself and pressed the pump evenly on two of its corners until it popped in. Also after it pops in there was a minimal play so I moved it just a tiny bit in out so that the oring sits right. BTW, didn't even have to use the new rings, the old ones were in perfect shape.

Tapatalked @ sgsIV
AlxT is offline   Reply With Quote