Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
Drumhawk
Lurker

Oddometer: 15
No stock on 170/60-17 PR-4-GT? Can't seem to find that one. you site seems to have only the 180 listed?
Drumhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
Jaeger22
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I really want to try a set of these. The RP3 is the best I have found for long road trips on the Super Tenere. But I am confused about the trail version. Why the heck would I want a softer compound tire on my big traillie? I need high mileage and load capacity. I would think the GT would work best but it does not come in 150/70/17 size. Would I not get better mileage with the standard tire with the harder compound? Or does it lack the load capacity for a 600 LB bike?
Jaeger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
CompAcc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhawk View Post
No stock on 170/60-17 PR-4-GT? Can't seem to find that one. you site seems to have only the 180 listed?
Hi Drumhawk, you can find the 170 tire in the PR4 GT here: http://www.compacc.com/p/Michelin-Pi...-GT-Tires-Rear

Jaeger I have had the same question, obviously you'd get better grip with the softer compound - but I'd be curious to know the tire wear characteristics. I threw your question over to Michelin and will report back with what they say.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger22 View Post
I really want to try a set of these. The RP3 is the best I have found for long road trips on the Super Tenere. But I am confused about the trail version. Why the heck would I want a softer compound tire on my big traillie? I need high mileage and load capacity. I would think the GT would work best but it does not come in 150/70/17 size. Would I not get better mileage with the standard tire with the harder compound? Or does it lack the load capacity for a 600 LB bike?
I just ordered a set of Trail for my GSA. I called to ask the guys about these tires with the same concerns you have. The center 20% is harder on the GT but with a big bike, especially loaded, you'll see the rear tire depressed more than 20% under load. If you rode the standard or GT, you'd see a wearing on edges of the harder 20% compound. to if you look at say 40% of the center rear, you'd see the outer 10% on each side of the center 20% that would wear more. You'd feel this in the turns. It's better to have the 60% medium compound that wears evenly so in turns you have a more even wear. I can't explain it was well as it was explained and I did feel better about going with the Trail version after our conversation.
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #20
CompAcc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I suppose it all boils down to weight and expected usage. Here is Michelin's reply:

Quote:
The Pilot Road 4 Trail tires are designed for the Adventure Touring rider who spends 100% of their time on road and is engineered specifically for the vehicle dynamics, weight and weight ratio, speeds etc of these bikes, such as the Yamaha Super Tenere. The 150/70R17 Pilot Road 4 Trail has a specific casing construction and 2CT compound distribution as well as the correct Load / Speed index for this type bike, when used exclusively on-road.

The Pilot Road 4 GT is designed with our 2AT technology and 2CT compound distribution specific for typical applications such as the 2014 BMX R1200RT, the, Honda ST1300, or Yamaha FJR 1300.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #21
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
I just wanted to give a vote of confidence to the team at Competition Accessories. I put in my order yesterday and came home today to a box with two pretty new tires by my front door. Very impressive!
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
How cool to have CompAcc right here on the forum. I've purchased many tires from them over the years.

Question rewarding the PR4, specifically the GT model: would this be an suitable tire to run on something like an 02 VFR? I ride solo only but with a large top case and rack and carry some weight on tour.

I consider it a porker personally but is it classified as a heavy bike which could benefit from the reinforced GT model? Are there any disadvantages?
dustin2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #23
EddyQ
Dreamer . . .

Oddometer: 85
GT's are always out-of-stock

My '07 RT is in need. Is there any supply out there? Is it a supplier thing or simply a large demand?
EddyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #24
Fanstar
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Rear PR4 Trail worn out?

My rear PR4 Trail on my R1200GS only lasted 7,500 kms which is pretty poor considering it cost $330 AUD and was supposed to last longer than the PR3.
So I have gone back to the PR3.

Cheers,

Frank
Fanstar is offline   Reply With Quote