ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #481
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
Everybody that can bring a little extra firewood for sat night dinner

If you can...
what he said!
RAZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #482
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 400
Bringing Fire wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
what he said!
And BEER!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #483
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Road Conditions

Any one know if the south pass into Saline is passable? Also is the road to Cerro Gordo open? Would like to do therse Thursday if possible. I know there is some weather coming too.
thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #484
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 885
and anyone

know status of steel pass?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #485
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Everything is super beat up, gnarly amd washed out... So yes it's open!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #486
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 885
Beat up is fine

we're not skerd... ice tho ....
snow ...
Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #487
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefrmGV View Post
Any one know if the south pass into Saline is passable? Also is the road to Cerro Gordo open? Would like to do therse Thursday if possible. I know there is some weather coming too.
thanks
This is what I was planning but am getting conflicting info. Maybe someone could tell me where exactly South Pass is? Is it Saline Valley Rd north of 190? Or somewhere else?

I was planning on taking that to Lippincott on Thursday and on to Eureka and back, and then coming to Furnace Creek for Thursday night.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #488
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

I am referring to the saline v road off of 190, not Liponcott. Could be some ice in the canyon dropping into the valley. Seen it before. We want to look at the chicken strip runway. Planning a fly down sometime soon.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #489
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
I am referring to the saline v road off of 190, not Liponcott. Could be some ice in the canyon dropping into the valley. Seen it before. We want to look at the chicken strip runway. Planning a fly down sometime soon.
Based on this: http://www.maturango.org/janetmuseum...road_info.html

I it's OK. I'm staying at Panamint Springs on Weds night and will be heading out of there Thursday morning to head up to Lippincott and/or Hunter.

"Saline Valley Road (South Pass) - “OPEN!!” Grapevine Canyon still rough, high clearance
Saline Valley Road bottom - freshly graded = no washboards yet- Just so ya know... Airing down and using 4x4 helps some, but it's still hard on suspensions! Speed causes washboards!
Saline - Chicken Strip - ? probably has deep ruts across it like Bat Road? for careful pilots used to rough uphill landings, tail-dragger best. The Springs people will probably work on it at Christmas? They did the Bat road at Thanksgiving. "
Old 01-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #490
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,788
Quote:
It's always icy in one spot there.
If you ride in from the 190 side, you'll be going down hill over it so it should be pretty easy going.

Edit: This pic was taken at the top of the hill:

It's a short section that is on the north side of a hill, so it's in the shade all the time and the snow and ice sticks there long after it's gone everywhere else.

CA Stu screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 01:41 PM
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #491
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Ok thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #492
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

South Pass........... Ian (Maniac) was there this past weekend and he said its open, but they are doing maintenance on it, so be advised of possible trucks and earth movers doing work.
Lipencott is fine.
Steel Pass only has a few spots that would get cold enough for ice buy probably not now. it's been warm.

South Pass is Saline Valley Road off the 190 near Panamint Springs Resort. there is that area that never gets sun and seems to always have some spotty ice in places. don't worry about that.

and back to the Mengel - Goler loop.... you can get to the 190 from Balarat...just continue down Indian Ranch Road (even if the closed signs are still there. trust me, the old guy at Ballarat said people have been driving right past it no prob) and continue (to the right) on the sandy dirt 2 track(not on maps) to the 190 (don't take Indian Ranch Rd to Trona Wildrose... that's where they're doing road work)
OR don't do the "loop", just backtrack on Goler and Mengel back to Furnace Creek. hwy 190 is bah bah boring.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #493
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
It's always icy in one spot there.
If you ride in from the 190 side, you'll be going down hill over it so it should be pretty easy going.

Edit: This pic was taken at the top of the hill:

It's a short section that is on the north side of a hill, so it's in the shade all the time and the snow and ice sticks there long after it's gone everywhere else.
Stu, was the 'KLR Love Ride' this past weekend?

are you coming this weekend?

BTW, you know KLR's aren't welcome at DVDAZE. bring your REAL bike.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #494
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
South Pass........... Ian (Maniac) was there this past weekend and he said its open, but they are doing maintenance on it, so be advised of possible trucks and earth movers doing work.
Lipencott is fine.
Steel Pass only has a few spots that would get cold enough for ice buy probably not now. it's been warm.

South Pass is Saline Valley Road off the 190 near Panamint Springs Resort. there is that area that never gets sun and seems to always have some spotty ice in places. don't worry about that.

and back to the Mengel - Goler loop.... you can get to the 190 from Balarat...just continue down Indian Ranch Road (even if the closed signs are still there. trust me, the old guy at Ballarat said people have been driving right past it no prob) and continue (to the right) on the sandy dirt 2 track(not on maps) to the 190 (don't take Indian Ranch Rd to Trona Wildrose... that's where they're doing road work)
OR don't do the "loop", just backtrack on Goler and Mengel back to Furnace Creek. hwy 190 is bah bah boring.
THIS is what I was looking for! THANKS!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #495
mr. thumbs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Seat concepts seats offer

Since I'm already bringing out a seat, doing an install for an inmate and I know I'll be asked if I have any more, let me nip this in the bud right now and toss an offer out there if I may.

If you are have been thinking about getting a Seat Concepts seat let me know ASAP and I'll get you hooked up with the double secret special DV riding buddy deal this weekend and this weekend only. It's so good I can't post the details here other than no shipping, I'll pay the sales tax and do the install. If you are interested shoot me a PM or email with what you want ASAP.
mr. thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote