Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #31
MufflerBearings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Fantastic ride report! I counted no fewer than 15 air-cooled VW's in your photos. And an AMC Gremlin!

Please send me the coordinates for the rusted-out VW bus so that I may go and recover it.

A KLR RIDES (to) THE BAJA 500 (to spectate)! - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893347
MufflerBearings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #32
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,160

grizzzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #33
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 708
Great Post!

This is likely the best First Post on AdvRider!

Great ride report, great pictures, great era in time.

All the Best,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #34
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 323
cool RR thanks for posting
Old 12-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #35
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 494
Great old pics. I gotta dig up my pics of Cabo from 1983.
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #36
Falang OP
Singapore

Oddometer: 107
Thanks for all the comments! I hesitated before doing this write-up, since the site seems more to be about current adventures and the latest border crossing issues relevant to riders on the road today. “This is likely the best First Post on AdvRider!” I am honored! But no rating…?

This is the camera that was used to take all the pictures (except this one!):

It was a Minox 35EL, which came out the same year as the bike and was at the time (and maybe still is) the world’s smallest full-frame 35mm film camera - the ultimate touring biker camera of its day. Andy Warhol used one and the Russians soon cloned it, calling it the Kiev. It was half the size and weight of the digital Canon G12 which I currently use, but no zoom, no antishake, no autofocus or rangefinder, no built-in flash--and it cost about a buck a shot to shoot.

For fun, the old Minox film camera specs vs. the new digital technology:
* Focal length: 35mm fixed (vs. 28-140mm equivalent zoom)
* Focus (minimum): 1m manual (vs. 1cm macro, automatic or manual)
* Aperture: f2.8 to 16, manual (vs. 2.8 to 8, automatic or manual)
* ISO: 25-800 fixed, depending on the roll of film (vs. 80-1600, variable manually or automatically)
* Shutter: 1/500 to 1 sec. automatic (vs. 1/4000 to 15 sec, automatic or manual)
* Exposure: Aperture priority (vs. many different modes, automatic or manual)
* Metering: Averaging (vs. many different modes). To get backlit photos which were not underexposed it was necessary to cheat by taking the camera out of the leather case and temporarily setting the ISO dial on the bottom to a value 1/2 or 1/4 than that the ISO of the actual film--and remembering to set it back after that shot to avoid spoiling the rest of the photos on the roll.
* Size: 100 x 61 x 31 (vs. 112 x 76 x 48)
* Volume: 190cm2 (vs. 400 cm2)
* Weight: 200g (vs. 400g)
* Exposures: 24 or 36 per roll (vs. thousands on an SD card).
* Resolution: 10 to 30 effective megapixels depending on the quality and ISO of the film (vs. 10 MP for the G12). The lower the ISO, the lower the film grain and higher the effective megapixels--but the longer the shutter speed and higher the camera shake blur when it was not a sunny day.

About more photos of Colorado, here are few more between New Mexico and Colorado on that trip, as far as I can reckon where I took them. Film doesn’t have timestamps, let alone geotags! I didn’t include these photos in the ride report, thinking that the countryside would be the same today except for the increase in Winnebagos … and Harleys which were rare on the road then; that was the year that AMF sold Harley-Davidson before it expired. I notice that there were no guard rails along those mountain highways; I wonder if there are guardrails now:

About riding in SEA, I enjoy it both on road and off and that’s a large part of the reason I am still here. Mexico was good preparation for rural Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Myanmar! I will upload a couple of Asia ride reports.
Falang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #37
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
excellent..but i thought these type of rides were only made after 2004 on the modern better stuff with all the high dollar suits and gizmos (I used moms garden gloves for protection back in the day as an example)...i never went anywhere outside my own town until 2008 when i got a cell phone..most excellent report..love it-god speed
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #38
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Amazing! I really like seeing places as they used to be. Cant wait for your new stuff.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #39
Falang OP
Singapore

It was still five years before CB radio was replaced with cellular phones:

And by 1988 you could get this motorcycle-sized one for only $2500 plus subscription fees and usage charges:

Of course they were analog phones tied to local networks, and wouldn’t have roamed to Mexico anyway!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #40
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 908
Brought back memories of my trip to Baja in '73. Thanks. Great photos
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #41
horseiron1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
horseiron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #42
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Fantastic report!

And how we obsess nowadays! -- Blue jeans, a pair Fryes, and a leather jacket from Sears; and that was pretty much the extent of a guy's riding 'wardrobe' back in the seventies!

Quote:
In 1966 there was a construction strike while Phil was in Vancouver, and so he found work in a motorcycle shop on Hastings St. Unsatisfied with the service being offered to touring riders passing through, Phil resigned and opened his own repair shop across the street in a building only 12 feet wide. Operating on a shoestring, he landed a Kawasaki franchise and acted as an unauthorized BMW repair shop. He added BSA and Yamaha and before long became an official dealer for BMW. By 1970 he sold only BMW and continued for the next 14 years, becoming the largest-volume dealer in Canada
http://motorcyclehalloffame.ca/phil_funnell.htm
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #43
Falang OP
Singapore

That’s a great link to Phil Funnel’s story. Here’s Phil in his traditional shop at 541 East Hastings in 1973, the place where I bought the bike I rode to Mexico.

There is a new 1972 R75/5 next to Phil, and the sidecar and “On Any Sunday” (1971, with Steve McQueen) poster behind him. Of course the pre-politically correct tool company calendars in the workshop out back were even better! Phil located his shop near decades-old Pacific Cycle, which employed Phil for awhile before he quit over their poor customer service practices. Soon afterward they lost their BMW distributorship but continued to sell other brands, including Honda and Vespa until they closed in the mid-1980s. These low-quality photos were taken with a Kodak Instamatic with Flashcubes. The first one appeared in the BMWMOA “The First 35 Years” Anniversary Book. Here is Phil today: http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4049

Here is another photo in front of the shop in 1976 with Pokie, the master mechanic now in Colorado, and Shail, another great mechanic who became a Vancouver BMW dealer himself.

BMW prices were a lot lower back then!

Back to 1981. Here is Phil Funnell in his live-aboard sailboat just after I returned from Mexico—and just as interest rates in Canada went over 22% in the final battle to control inflation.

The new owners of Funnell BMW were hurt by the 1980s financial crisis like many other business owners who had to finance their inventory. The Funnell BMW going-out-of-business sale in 1983 was like a wake. There would be no more dropping-in for coffee and a rag-chew with other touring enthusiasts on Saturday mornings—and Phil did indeed develop enthusiasts, also as a BMWMOA Ambassador.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #44
keiPHadventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
What a brilliant ride! It took me back in time to show me how good and how fun you guys had it back then... That was a motorcycle adventure in the purest sense! Thanks for sharing! EPIC!
Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #45
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
that is history and what a great story on that dealer within this RR..granted we could go off on a tangent and discuss what things were like in dealers back then (saw dust and machine clippings, grease on the floor and those glorious honda ct70's/xl70's in colors you wanted to eat like topaz orange)..but i digress..cept for these sterile dealers we have today is just pathetic...excellent..just excellent historical perspective...sorry for the off topic but bringing back a lot of memories-god speed
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote