Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #61
b4thenite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
great pics, great post. thanks for sharing.
b4thenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #62
Jwats
Bike till u Die

Oddometer: 173
Epic

Thanks for the RR
Jwats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #63
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Thanks for ride down memory lane. Regretfully, the old VW Bus no longer
resides along Hwy 1 in Baja. It was always a great landmark on our way
to San Francisquito and on to Tripui.

Robert
Old 12-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #64
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Wow, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #65
Markaso del Norte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thanks for sharing this trip and pictures, your photos have held up well.
Most of us would never venture on a trip like that with a high mileage bike Inspirational.
Truly an adventure!
Markaso del Norte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #66
Falang OP
Singapore

Oddometer: 107
Actually, at 65,000 (106,000 km) it never occurred to me that this was a high-mileage bike; I thought it was just getting nicely broken in. I had seen BMWs with hundreds of thousands of miles.

I rode my self-maintained airhead 100,000 miles (before it was wrecked in a deer strike) and it never once left me stranded, although it suffered a few non-critical or roadside-repairable failures.

In contrast, I rode my dealer-maintained, sixth-hand R1100R from 60,000 miles (97,000 km) to 90,000 miles (147,000 km), and during this 30,000 miles it has had to be trucked to a dealer three times, in Singapore, Bangkok, and Chiang Mai! The previous owner had to truck it at least once, in Malaysia.

The things that broke on the oilhead which were not roadside repairable:

* Hall Sensor. Does not exist on the airhead. Points don’t work as well as electronic ignition, but they are easily replaced by the side of the road with the tools in the toolkit. I replace the expensive Hall sensor every two years, just in case.

* Fuel Pump. Does not exist on the airhead. Gravity feed is enough for carburators.

* Clutch lever (behind the transmission). Exists on the airhead, but never breaks as far as I know, and if it did break it could be replaced with the tools in the toolkit in ten minutes. On the 1998 oilhead the clutch lever is behind the drive train and replacement requires a workshop with a large socket wrench, a heat gun, and a torque wrench. I carry a spare now when touring, even though it is not a roadside repair.

* Valve stem: Does not exist on the airhead. Replace the inner tube with the tools in the toolkit.

The downside of the old bikes is that the routine maintenance was higher to maintain reliability and performance. The parts wore in predictable or visible ways and was not difficult to do the work yourself to save money (which I didn’t have very much of). This was my basement in the winter of 1979, when the bike was five years old: time for bearings, oil seals, cam chain, and rear splines before heading to Alaska next summer.

The Canadian winters are long, in this way I could spend time with my bike when it was too cold to ride! And of course, if it did break on the road, I would know how to repair it.
Falang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #67
NonstopBanana
Thumper Rider

Oddometer: 134
Great photos, made me feel like I was watching one the old time travel shows on TV ;). Have never visited Mexico, so it's still a very foreign land to me, but definitely something to look forward to. You mentioned that the whole trip was 11,000 km, how much time did you spend covering it?

I think the old Minolta totally kicks G12's butt My dad used to have the Kiev clone you mentioned, it was like magic to me as a kid. Developing and printing in our own bathroom, totally cool stuff, thank you for sparking that memory :)
NonstopBanana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #68
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,797
wow .. thanks for sharing!
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #69
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,507
Thank you. I love reports like this.
I am going riding now & pretending i'm in Mexico

Edit - rated 5 stars from me!
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #70
VHRAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
awesome post !
VHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #71
LostInmate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thank You!!

Man what an awesome trip!! Thank you for sharing, we really enjoyed the pictures. Cool bike too.
LostInmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #72
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,539
Fabulous ! ! !

What film ? Kodachrome ? ? ? And how'd you transform it to digital format ?
Any tips ?

Fabulous RR: thatnks for putting it together for us; Great piece of history & well documented ! ! !
Especially like the comparo photo Google Earth - Then & Now shots.

Quote: "The ceiling fan was so low the steel blades nearly chopped off my fingers. They were bleeding and bruised after I reached up while removing my T-shirt:"
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Ho-Lee-Shyeeit ! ! ! ^ ^

Thanks again for sharing a little bit of history.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #73
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,846
First, thanks for the great nostalgia trip to Mexico. As one that went there well before 1981, I see as already said, much that's the same-sure, the cars are older, some clothing changes, rest is sameo.I bet many of those PU's are still running! That PV street is paved now. Not the main street nowdays.
One part of me thinks back & says not so long ago (I was 38 in 1981) & my lower back-ha! says it is...

In post #44 the 22% interest comment reminds me of my dilemma in November,1980. I'd just spent the better part of 2 years building the home we still live in-done in the mornings(I worked "2nd shift" most days with night students then) & on weekends, so quite a self construction project! Built a road, then this cabin on raw land , own water system,sort of hippie style, back to the land deal. When I finished the house I needed to combine the 6% farm/land loan with the construction loan and went mortgage shopping.
It would be real interesting in todays economy of artificially low interest rates to see how many would survive the 17.5% I was offered. I went to the bank pres that held the construction loan & he said why don't you sell it. I asked if thats what HE would do after 2 yrs of sweat & got some smart ass remark & I walked off cussing the guy under my breath. I also tried several times to buy insurance on the almost completed structure & no company would sell a policy as many were burning insured new houses then to avoid going under from rates. To this day i refuse to do business with any of the companies that refused my money for insurance. I also got away from that bank once I'd paid off the loan. I ended up with a 14% straight loan from them, which I paid twice a month to kill the principal & was free & clear in 9 years!
At that time people(like the bike dealers mentioned) were going under that had been very conservative with their money,esp. compared to todays world of over extended,multiple credit cards & living beyond their means!
Check out the OP's friend, Phil's hand as extended in the pics of his MC trailer, sleeping bullet shaped cocoon-folks that's a working mans hands, if I ever saw one!!!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85

kantuckid screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 03:01 PM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #74
Falang OP
Singapore

Oddometer: 107
Sorry, I don't remember how long the trip was, but probably about three weeks because as a college graduate prole I had only three weeks holiday entitlement. That's about 325 miles / 525 km per day average, which sounds about right including the few non-riding days. I checked my passport from that time period but there are no stamps in it. I suppose the Mexicans didn't stamp Canadian or American passports in those days; I recall they issued a tourist card on arrival.

Because of the lack of vacation time I was always in a hurry. When I rode back to Mexico and down to Guatemala and Belize three years later (the BMW had nearly 100,000 miles on it when I returned), I was so pressed for time to jam the whole trip into four weeks vacation at 350 miles / 571 km per day that I only shot one roll of film; there will be no ADV Ride Report of that fantastic trip. It exists only in my memory. Only three photos of that fantastic trip survive. This is one of them:

At the time I thought my memory would do anyway--who looks at last year's photos?--but of course, I could not see how I might want to have them decades into the future. You don't take the photos for yourself, you take them for the old man you will become, if you are lucky. I would also have taken more photos without my companion; it's great to take keepsakes of your woman in front of the scenery, and her of you, but shoot the scenery without each other too!

All these images were Kodak Ektachrome slides, scanned with a Canon 9950F flatbed scanner, 12 slides at once, at 4800 dpi. I touched up the exposures in Photoshop because the light metering in the camera was a bit crude.
Falang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #75
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,846
The "take the pics for the old man you will become" is so true. I find that in todays world there is zero interest (except RR's here!) in pics of past trips from others around me. It's just not like the old days when you took your film in or mailed it and everybody ganged around the prints excitedly. If I live to that point of rest home lethargy(as in don't die riding) I plan to have my MC & other trip pics at my bedside & reminisce!
The GoPro camera fad makes me wonder who actually wants to look at the results? I'm always ready for the next trip not much into lingering on the last one to long.
I'm ready for some tropic riding!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote