Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #91
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,223
Absolutely awesome. Thanks for taking the time to share your photos.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #92
Red Beer'd
Tourist

Oddometer: 33
Right on man! I just finished up a Mexico trip and miss it already! Thanks for sharing!
Red Beer'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #93
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,770
To those of you that haven't done a Mexico trip yet-worry not as for old times are gone as plenty of Mexico is still very much rural in nature. Sure, they'll be standing there along the road, waiting for the bus with a cell phone in the boonies but much is still unchanged! In Chiapas you'll see guys sawing boards with big chain saws. Coffee spread to dry on lots where taxi's park at night or in rural areas spread in their yard on tarps. People carp about the Cuota as a road choice there(like it's the USA slab I-road-which it can be at times) but truth be known some of the newer ones cut through some unchanged rural areas. Almost nowhere has the influence of modern technology not reached but the simple fact of poverty keeps much of Mexico "looking like" it is unchanged-when it actually has. The further you get from fly-in tourism & large Mexican cities the more you can expect it to look like "old Mexico". Some places transform in an hour-such as Mahahaul in southern area of Caribbean coast. When the cruise ships are in the place transforms to suck up ship board $$$ , then just as quickly , ship leaves, money leaves and all is fairly tranquil until next bunch of gringos comes along. Not far away you can get beyond the reach of the shipped in stuff and relax!
Small local tortilla factories are common in neighborhoods & rural shopping towns all over Mexico. No doubt many have been replaced by supermercados-many of which have the tortilla machinery in the bakery.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #94
Charmin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Come and visit MEXICO!!!!

Charmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #95
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Great trip! Many thanks!
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #96
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,637
Dear Falang,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post up this ride report. It brings back such great memories. There is nothing better than the sound of an airhead motor humming across the Mexican desert.

Thirty years goes by in a flash. Back in the previous century I had those same Krauser bags. I knew it was time to head north in Guatemala when the right bag popped open going over a speed bump. I wondered why all the locals were waving their hands wildly and yelling as I rode by. I thought it was because they thought I was a celebrity until I looked in my rearview mirror many miles later and saw the lid flapping in the breeze. Lost my spare parts and feeler gauges along with some crackers and underwear. Yikes! Had to adjust my valves with a folded peso note on the way home. I think it was a folded peso note for intake and three thicknesses for exhaust.

Great stuff amigo. I give this report 5 stars. Keep up the good work. Hope to see you down the road in SEA some day.

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 09:23 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #97
Falang OP
Singapore

Oddometer: 107
At the beginning of the 1980s, the peso began its horrible crash after several years of relative stability:

If you used the one peso note to shim your exhaust valves, you may have noticed an interesting effect. The peso-folding joke circulating along with the fast-depreciating currency in the early 1980s was something like:

First the government takes our peso:

Then the (expletive deleted) politicians cut its value in half:

And they cut it in half again:

And again! So today this is all we have left:

¡qué lástima!
Falang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #98
PhillipsMetal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Thanks for a fantastic report! That was an amazing look back in time.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #99
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Wow, Mexico was just as ugly 30 years ago as it is today. I guess being a kid I just didn't noticed how ugly it was...

I really can't understand why some Americans want to travel here.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #100
Falang OP
Singapore

It's less charming but much safer now. Even Medjet covers Mexico now. Mexican safety then is about like Cambodian safety is today. Rules were very relaxed.

When I returned to Mexico on the bike in 1984 I went scuba diving in Akumal, on the mainland near Cancun. My girlfriend and I hadn't completed our Naui training back in Vancouver yet, so we didn't have diving certificates and told the resort's dive shop that. He took us diving anyway! I was young and naive and didn't fully appreciate the risks we were taking. Money talked.

When we were down nearly 100 feet on our first tropical dive, my girlfriend saw a Queen Conch and pointed to it. The divemaster attached it to a recovery balloon and sent it up to the surface where the dive boat collected it. The dive shop removed the animal for dinner and cleaned up the giant shell for us as a souvenir. They did this all the time for all their customers, they said. Not only was there no diver safety, there was no concern for conservation and preservation for future divers to enjoy. I schlepped a beautiful, heavy, fishy-smelling Strombus Gigas shell on the back of the bike back to Vancouver via Guatemala and Belize. In 1992 that species was listed in Schedule II of the CITES "Convention On International Trade In Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora" and I would be breaking the law to carry it out of the country without a permit, let alone across six international borders.

Falang screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 05:03 PM
Old 12-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #101
RC.
Cola

Oddometer: 90
Nice "throwback" report, Falang. I wish we could see more of them from more riders.
RC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #102
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,770
I have a plastic pop cup (from when the Jayhawks won the 89 championship!) full of "old peso" era coins. Maybe 5-6 pounds-am I rich?
Also a handful of new/old post cards from "old Mexico" from the 1950's-wonder what ebay would do for them? I'd post here but no pic hosting here.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #103
Falang OP
Singapore

Four years after my trip McDonalds came to Mexico, followed by Wal-Mart in 1992. I suppose the tortillas, huaraches, and frenos are cheaper now, but the change has not been pretty for small retailers, tourists, or Mexicana waistlines.

In 1990 Mexico was moved out of the "South American Handbook" (where it had been for 66 years) and into a new "Mexico & Central America Handbook" along with Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. In 1994 Mexico joined Canada and the USA in the North America Free Trade Agreement. Mexico moved from South to Central to North America in four years.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #104
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,337
Thank you

Absolutely fantastic ride report, I really appreciate you sharing all this with us.

I am struck by how much Mexico has not changed. My family traveled the length of the freshly created Highway 1 in 1973 from Tijuana to La Paz then across the bay on the ferry and back up the mainland in our Winnebago. I was 13 and can say that we were very naive and had no idea what we were doing. I still remember my dad carried a pistol with us hidden in the stove exhaust pipe!

Maybe I can find some photos from that trip to share.

Thanks again!
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #105
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
I'd really appreciate if an American explained what the appeal to ride through Mexico is. I just don't get it. Only thing I like about riding here is that I can ride at whatever speed I feel like, which is not usually very high due to our crappy roads.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote