Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Tangai OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Why I'm Staying With KTM

I have decided on KTM again.

I bought a used 2005.5 950 Adventure a few years back with 17,000 miles on it. At about 30,000 miles the starter torque limiter gear started making that infamous clacking noise. (Sounds a lot like the heavy metal my son listens to that he calls music.) At that time I called KTM Customer Service and asked if this bike had ever had the torque limiter recall done to it and the man said it had been replace. With that, and the price of a new gear being about $180.00, I just left it alone. Now at 45,000 the bike won’t start without making that dreadful noise or at all.

I disassembled it this morning to find the bike has the old “ramp” style torque limiter gear in it. I called KTM again and explained. The man asked for pictures and about an hour later he called me back. He informed me that the gear (only) had been changed under warranty and that was done about a month before the recall bulletin was issued. Arrangements are now being made to install the new kit free of charge.

I’ve been studying the new BMWs, Yamaha and the KTM 1190R. I was leaning toward the 1190R because I like the 21” front and all, but the Yamaha dealership offers a great deal on their Ténéré. Now I’m confident not only in that the KTM is the better bike (for me) but that KTM stands behind their stuff.

Current bikes:
950 Adventure
KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
DR 650
CRF250R
Honda CT 90
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,620
That new new 1190R is one badass looking,and performing,bike.

You cant go wrong.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Tangai OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Yeah, and I'm not even going to ride one until I have the money to buy it because I might not like my 950 anymore.
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Oh, KTM doesn't always do those things...
But glad they did for you. My buddy is still KTM-burned over the old 360 dirt bike they put the wrong pipe on, wrong head squish band(they admitted was wrong and refused to fix, and horrible stator. He's just now thinking of even considering aKTM.

ADVill screwed with this post 12-07-2013 at 05:59 PM
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Oddometer: 148
As a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM and Can-Am dealer I can confidently tell you that KTM stands behind their product like no other manufacturer. We get stuff "good-willed" by KTM all the time that the other guys would laugh at us for even asking.

Derek
Old 12-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Im a KTM fan but shit like this is going to strain the relationship. Im so glad I bought the last 990 to see me through the next few years.

If a dealer told me all 1190 valve clearances were set wrongly at the factory Id want to smash his stupid head in! If theres a problem with the design they should just man up and fix it. People can accept that mistakes are made if they are dealt with accordingly, telling lies leaves a bad taste forever.

The original post by the OP should show all manufacturers how to do business.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=39

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
My bikes been at the dealers for two weeks and have been waiting on direction from KTM for a week. I've been told KTM stand behind their product but I'm yet to see it. Majorly pissed off with the whole thing and the lack of direction isn't helping my mood.

Love the bike big time though. It exactly what I was looking for and I was very impressed with the attention to detail and the handling compared with my Triumph. I'd hate for my first dabble with KTM to be my last.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Rafagas
Rafagas

Oddometer: 47
Dust in airbox

Really i don´t see any anormal in your photos, you can find moore dust in my 990 adv airbox whit moore than 100.000 kms , its start inmediatlly run 206 km/h Speed, I change the oil each 10K Kms oil filter each time remenber and never valves touch and never other touch the motor it than my soon or I.

Could bee the pictures are not representative from your big motor fault.
Rafagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911 View Post
Im a KTM fan but shit like this is going to strain the relationship. Im so glad I bought the last 990 to see me through the next few years.

If a dealer told me all 1190 valve clearances were set wrongly at the factory Id want to smash his stupid head in! If theres a problem with the design they should just man up and fix it. People can accept that mistakes are made if they are dealt with accordingly, telling lies leaves a bad taste forever.

The original post by the OP should show all manufacturers how to do business.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=39

I'm so sick of seeing this video shit in every 1190 thread. It sucks for the very few owners who are affected. It sucks even more that your respective dealers aren't more proactive in getting it fixed. But the odds of it happening are very very slim.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
I'm so sick of seeing this video shit in every 1190 thread. It sucks even more that your respective dealers aren't more proactive in getting it fixed.
Maybe you are but squeaky wheels get the most oil and if this was your bike I bet you would want it everywhere!

Quote:
It sucks for the very few owners who are affected. But the odds of it happening are very very slim.
Thats only because most probably dont ride them in the dirt. A fault is a fault and thats a serious one. If its such a small number then theres no excuse for KTM not to help the guys out that have been affected. Its not that they've ridden them anywhere that KTM marketing havent encouraged us to ride.

Remember this thread is about KTM backing their product

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,272
I hadn't seen that...damn.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 779
The problem with these stories is they are only told from one side. There are 1000s of bikes running great, so you have to give KTM time to investigate it and find out why this happened. Just because this guy is posting this one video everywhere doesn't mean KTM needs to give him a motor.

Do you think he would tell you that the bike was run low on oil? Or that the filter was so clogged it could no longer do its job? Or that he had previously taken it apart and not assembled it back correctly? No - of course he is not going to tell you that. This is why KTM must investigate it and these things take time.

I've seen people speculating how many bikes are affected with no facts to back it up. There are guys complaining that don't own a bike or have any intention or the means to purchase one! This is really the worst of the Internet and these forums!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,720
The fact there are 3 bikes suffering the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
The problem with these stories is they are only told from one side. There are 1000s of bikes running great, so you have to give KTM time to investigate it and find out why this happened. Just because this guy is posting this one video everywhere doesn't mean KTM needs to give him a motor.
shows a design flaw.
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 01:52 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #14
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,531
Ir's just the air filter. Fix it, shit! :loll

Man I love my old 950. It is big, fast and loud.

The carbs still aren't right………...

DELTATANGO screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 03:27 AM Reason: ig
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #15
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post

Do you think he would tell you that the bike was run low on oil? Or that the filter was so clogged it could no longer do its job? Or that he had previously taken it apart and not assembled it back correctly? No - of course he is not going to tell you that. This is why KTM must investigate it and these things take time.

I've seen people speculating how many bikes are affected with no facts to back it up. There are guys complaining that don't own a bike or have any intention or the means to purchase one! This is really the worst of the Internet and these forums!
Prepare your anus if you're gonna use reason and logic around here...