ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
Velvet
Very smooth

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
Prepare your anus if you're gonna use reason and logic around here...
Oh, how true. Gotta love blogs!!!!
Velvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVill View Post
Oh, KTM doesn't always do those things...
But glad they did for you. My buddy is still KTM-burned over the old 360 dirt bike they put the wrong pipe on, wrong head squish band(they admitted was wrong and refused to fix, and horrible stator. He's just now thinking of even considering aKTM.
That was well over a couple years ago,he needs to try harder to get over it.

I went to buy a new 300 in 96,dealer tried to sell me on a 360 at a special price.

The issues with it were well known so I declined. The 2014 300 XCW I just bought is the best running 2 stroke Ive ever ridden,by a ways,better then a 4 stroke for climbing tricky stuff.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
The problem with these stories is they are only told from one side. There are 1000s of bikes running great, so you have to give KTM time to investigate it and find out why this happened. Just because this guy is posting this one video everywhere doesn't mean KTM needs to give him a motor.

Do you think he would tell you that the bike was run low on oil? Or that the filter was so clogged it could no longer do its job? Or that he had previously taken it apart and not assembled it back correctly? No - of course he is not going to tell you that. This is why KTM must investigate it and these things take time.

I've seen people speculating how many bikes are affected with no facts to back it up. There are guys complaining that don't own a bike or have any intention or the means to purchase one! This is really the worst of the Internet and these forums!
There are many variables indeed,owner caused destruction is pretty common no matter how expensive a bike is.
And NOBODY wants to get stuck with the bill rather they caused it or not.

The phrase "dust in the airbox" makes me wonder if they know what they're talking about.

All airboxes get dust in them,its part of the deal with dirtriding. Heavy dust I would greases the sealing edge of the airfilter,like every dirtbike Ive owned.

Guys who think they have been screwed by a factory,rather they have a clue or not, tend to want the whole world involved and scream it to the rafters,usually before the factory decides what it will do or what the issue is. The internet is a fast free way to whine/scream/bitch your frustration to the entire world.

Then later if your proved at fault you dont have to say a thing.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
shows a design flaw.
Cheers.
So you know the facts completely and are sure?
Or youve seen guesses on the internet and assume them to be facts?
Old 12-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I can give you the phone number of my KTM dealer who says its a design flaw and that dust in the engine has caused engine damage. Dont post it on the internet though. It makes it untrue!

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
Tangai OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
To be fair, I saw the pictures of the dust in the air box those guys were talking about. It was serious and inside the “clean” part of the air box. There should never be dirt or dust of any kind inside the air box past the air filter. I’ve certainly not examined their bikes personally since I’m in Oklahoma, but going by the pictures (showing dirt in the velocity stacks of the throttle bodies) I’d have to say that dust, and a lot of it, has been passing either through the filter element or somehow bypassing the filter element. Who is at fault (at least for now) is yet to be determined.

But you know what? I’d bet before long—KTM will fix it—if they haven’t already.

Besides, I was talking about my experience with KTM and it has been good.
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #22
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
shows a design flaw.
Cheers.
So because three bikes suffer a similar problem it shows there is a design flaw? There may well be a design flaw, I have no idea, but your logic is flawed. There could be a thousand other reasons the three bikes suffered a similar problem, like a bad batch of airboxes...maybe even a batch of three that have a manufacturering flaw,rather than a design flaw.

Perhaps those three bikes were put together on a friday afternoon and the guy that puts the airboxes together was having a bad day?

Or maybe KTM, who have been designing dirt bikes and dirt bike air filters for decades designed an air box / filter that does not work. Anything is possible, but I wold guess there was a balls up somewhere else in the line from design, maunfacture, installation through to use.

Either way, I hope KTM get to the bottom of it and sort the dead bikes out so we can move on already!
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 23,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
Ir's just the air filter. Fix it, shit! :loll

Man I love my old 950. It is big, fast and loud.

The carbs still aren't right………...
Well from the pics it sure looks like dust is getting around the filter somehow. Might be an easy fix, might not. Regardless those engines have ingested a fair amount of dirt and the damage is done.

KTM really should step up and repair or replace.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
Dorma 950
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Ktm sa

I have just been browsing the blog and notice the video was in South Africa. My experience with KTM SA can only be described as one of dismay as I have never met any company that is so arrogant. There attitude buy our bike because it's the best and if you don't to bad. With out exhausting the subject I have dealt with them for over 28 years, in the beginning they were humble, and I suppose this was because it was privately owned and he appreciated a customer. At the end after KTM Austria took over and sent a 28 year old lady to run it as MD it became fit or F.....k off attitude.

The dealers struggle to get KTM SA to honor a dead on arrival bike, in fact the dealer will just have to replace at his own cost, and repair the old bike at there own cost and sell it at there own cost.

The way they treat there dealer is no better, if they don't want the dealer they just cancel his dealership, such is the case with KTM Pretoria the gave him 60 day notice and cancelled after 15 years of loyal support. This is irrespective that they now have put 15 families on the street.

Enough said!!
Dorma 950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #25
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,812
O.K. I rephrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
This is a case KTM should honor their warranty, according to the pictures and facts shown on youtube. Am I off the hook now?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #26
rustytigwire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Clacking Sound

Tangai, that is good news as I know another 05.5 that makes a really sharp loud clacking sound sometimes. I need to get s/n and mfg date and start tracking its past life. Freeze my chi chis off going out to look today soooo maybe I need a heater in the garage!
rustytigwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
ColoradoBigfoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Not surprised to see KTM still adhering to their standards of excellence in materials and design. Shoot, look at he 990 line. Many of the same issues that originated in the first run appear in the last run of the line. Personally, I don't think the company has the engineers or resources to design/develop a reliable big-bore street going machine. They should stick to the 530cc and under product line.
As for product support? They covered two issues when under warranty, declined to cover the third one month after warranty expired. Dealer said it was a problem originating from assembly at factory and went to bat for me. KTM still refused to cover cost/repair.
I only wish I would have known about this forum before buying a brand spanking new $16k 2012 990r that left me stranded more times in one year than all of my previous motorcycles combined.
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #28
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,381
Makes me love my Buell Ulysses even more...and to think its known as a problem child.

Oh well.....given the opportunity and a decent price I will still get an 1190

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #29
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
Well from the pics it sure looks like dust is getting around the filter somehow. Might be an easy fix, might not. Regardless those engines have ingested a fair amount of dirt and the damage is done.

KTM really should step up and repair or replace.
Yea if it ruined the engine they should give you another one.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #30
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowspeedhighdrag View Post
prepare your anus if you're gonna use reason and logic around here...
+1
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote