Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #151
SoloSurfer OP
iheartducati

Oddometer: 120
iPhone Gorilla Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ecjed View Post
Great report. Job well done.
My question is how did you rig up the harness for the I phone? Do you have a good picture of that?
I really enjoyed your report.
PS That woman is a keeper. Don't mess up that relationship.

I had one of those 'Gorilla Mounts' by Joby that worked great. http://joby.com/smartphones/griptigh...lapod-magnetic

I then strapped that mini-tripod onto my chest-strap of my day pack... it seemed fairly secure, but I was really careful with it there. I guess the iPhone has 'anti-shake' as well so the quality is reasonable. Unfortunately I don't have a good picture of it, but if you look at the video I posted on Day 14 (moto tour through small village), you can pause the video before I get on my bike, there is a brief shot in the rear view mirror.

As for your 'PS'... yes, I have found the keeper of all keepers... she is amazing and I'm the luckiest guy on the planet.
SoloSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #152
SoloSurfer OP
iheartducati

Oddometer: 120
Answers to your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonasty View Post
Great report, it looks like you both had an amazing time.

I'm planning to go there in 2016 and do a very similar trip. We might just use your trip as the base, and make a few small changes.

Do you feel a month was enough/too much time?
I'll have a maximum of about 6 weeks and I wanted to cover some of Thailand and maybe Laos too.

Were you happy with the dry bags as your 'panniers'? Do you think you would have been better off packing something like a greatloop horseshoe type bag?

Your picture quality seemed to vary a LOT, was this because you were using the zoom function on the iPhone or did you end up using two cameras?

Sorry for all the questions, I loved the story. I cant wait to go over and experience it for myself.

-Shaun

Hey Shaun, good questions.

First off - we felt as though 1 month worked well for us. That being said, we had a fairly strict schedule traveling from Hanoi, into the north, and then back down to HCMC before flying back to Hanoi. I think it might have been nicer to have had a hint more time to chill/relax/tour in places that we really liked or missed out on. SO, yeah, for us... another week slammed in there would have been good... but we didn't have it, so the 1 month we had with the itinerary we came up with was acceptable and fully do-able. 6 weeks will give you a bit more flexibility especially if you want to bite off a bit of Laos or Cambodia etc.

Dry bags. We were really happy with the choice of the 35L dry-bag/backpack. They were handy in that they also doubled as backpacks with proper straps and the rest. YES, those 'GiantLoop' bags are solid and the rest, but unless you want to use them at home as well, I don't think they would be worth buying just for your trip $$. You'll definitely want dry bags though, as you will likely get wet, very wet.

Picture quality. You nailed it. I was only using the new iPhone 5s and yes, the resolution was grainy on the zoomed-in photos. The phone definitely takes some decent pictures and video, I was pleasantly impressed. I was cut/copy/pasting over from my Blogger blog and for some reason I couldn't figure out how to paste into ADV Rider with a smaller picture size... they would only post in extra-large-and-turbo-charged format Oh well.

Glad you liked the trip/story. Feel free to ask any other questions if you have 'em.

Cheers
SoloSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote