User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
Sub-Frame is SHIT!

so i noticed a little wiggle the other day as i was getting my 990 up onto its center stand. started looking at things and noticed the right side, upper mount was loose. then dug further and found the lower left was loose.

pulled everything apart this morning and removed the sub-frame and to say the least, i'm not happy...

upper, right sub frame mount is shot, so is the threading on the main frame where it bolts up.

after digging some and trying to tap out the damaged thread, it looks like all for the mounting points are in about as shitty condition.

also found that the front mounting tab for the right side, rear panel had snapped off as well. can't help but believe all of these are connected.

looked up the price of a new sub-frame and was not surprised to see a price tag of over $500. lot's of sub-frames on ebay, at least if i wanted a superduke that is... search engine here at advrider doesnt help much for searching the parts section. so what do i do?

my thought are to just drill all 4 of them out, and put a longer bolt with a nut on the backside. not very happy about it, but not sure what else i can do other than try and heli-coil or time-sert new threads.

any ideas?

thanks,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
Yea, heli-coil or time-sert sounds like a good idea, Maybe the bigger bolt and nut but you may not have the room for that. Weld all the holes shut redrill and rethread to the standard size may be the best bet. A any rate it didn't happen in as few miles time so Loctite and check then in the future. good luck
Old 12-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Have had them come undone several times but been able to catch it before any damage was done.

Opened up some holes to it will be easy to tighten them up in the future:

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,523
Laramie,

I'm not sure how this is a KTM or shit sub-frame issue? Looks to me like these bolts have been loose for many miles doing this damage.

Lots of 950's and 990's out there without these sub-frame issues.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
!

starting too look like f800gs shock bolt issue a little bit
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Laramie,

I'm not sure how this is a KTM or shit sub-frame issue? Looks to me like these bolts have been loose for many miles doing this damage.

Lots of 950's and 990's out there without these sub-frame issues.
true, i'm just a little pissed. the wallowed out bolt holes i can point the finger at me for not checking them more frequent. the broke tab not so much.

looking at things, it really seems like how i raise the bike onto the center stand has been the issue. i lift the rear using the back handles, which pulls on one side, which in turn twists the sub-frame. this is most likely what caused the loosening and the wallowing of the bolts. now is this a design issue or a lack of attention issue? i guess maybe a little of both. i can say however that the only time these bolts were removed was when i installed my exhaust and they were reinstalled using a blue loc-tite.

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
Old 12-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
wcohl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Laramie,

I don't think Heli Coil or other thread inserts are a good application for this type of repair. I'd drill them out and use a larger bolt with nut.

I used thread inserts to mount a plastic toolbox to the subframe of my 300 XCW. The thread inserts finally failed from vibration, even though I frequently checked them.
wcohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
Mesjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
yea, heli-coil or time-sert sounds like a good idea, maybe the bigger bolt and nut but you may not have the room for that. Weld all the holes shut redrill and rethread to the standard size may be the best bet. A any rate it didn't happen in as few miles time so loctite and check then in the future. Good luck
+1
Mesjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

i can weld them shut then re-drill without a problem. i'm just worried that i will not be able to drill and tap them perfectly centered as they need to be and just create more stress by making the sub-frame have to tweak slight to fit the new holes. i am also not convinced that the heli-coil would hold.

i have room to drill them out and use a longer bolt w/ a nut and think i may try this first. in order to heli-coil or time-sert i would have to drill them out anyways so it's not really gonna make a big difference. once again, just kinda pissed that i've already got these kind of issues on my bike.

thanks for the input guys,

laramie

Old 12-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,609
No, I don't think pulling on the subframe to put it on the centerstand hurt it. Loose bolts hurts it.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Hey Laramie...........check this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-KTM-950...-/230860771789

Not super cheap, but......
Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
i can weld them shut then re-drill without a problem. i'm just worried that i will not be able to drill and tap them perfectly centered as they need to be and just create more stress by making the sub-frame have to tweak slight to fit the new holes. i am also not convinced that the heli-coil would hold.

i have room to drill them out and use a longer bolt w/ a nut and think i may try this first. in order to heli-coil or time-sert i would have to drill them out anyways so it's not really gonna make a big difference. once again, just kinda pissed that i've already got these kind of issues on my bike.

thanks for the input guys,

laramie
I wouldn't just weld it shut and re drill (like you say you wouldn't), but I would consider drilling the hole out enough to insert a correctly sized T-nut from the outside, and tacking that in place. You should be able to keep the hole center, and end up with something stronger than a helicoil would be in that situation.

I think all your problems are related to loose subframe bolts- I've had those bolts come loose (and even disappear) on my bike also, I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to use bolts that were 5 or 10mm longer and a jam nut on the outside, but they're slightly weird bolts with the oval head, and I'm not real sure about just replacing them with a flat head bolt.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,794
Personally I'd drill all the threads out so you have a nice clean hole, over bore to the next readily available size bolt, slap a Grade 8 bolt in there, screw a nut on the back with LocTite, and then safety wire it. All you need is something to secure the subframe to the frame. Fastenal has lots of specialty bolts if that helps.

It's only ugly if it doesn't work. If it does, it's genius.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
How to search ADVrider

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aadvr...sh%22+subframe

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote