Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Cry NUVI sudden death?

I used my Nuvi the other night, worked fine. I charged it, browsed map for a few minutes, then turned it off. In the morning I tried to turn it on, nothing. I connected it to my computer, the computer didn't even detect that there was a device attached. What could have caused this? Is it repairable? I have only had it a year, it has gotten very little use.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,429
A totally dead nuvi could have caused it.

Or the cable.

My temporary nuvi death had a very similar timeline. It was working fine on the Denali Highway although the vibration caused some motorcycle, um, "issues". During the night I turned it on a few times to check the time (I didn't have a watch or clock). It worked every time I checked the time. In the morning I put it on the motorcycle and it simply didn't start up. I left it plugged in from about 08:00 to about 12:00 and it never showed a thing. I bought a Montana in Anchorage later that day.

A month later I plugged the nuvi into my PC with a different cable and got the data off it. Another month later I took it apart and checked the internal connections and reassembled. I don't know if unplugging the display and battery then plugging them back in made a difference or if cleaning the power button helped.

I have very slightly bent the metal surrounding the contacts on the original Garmin power cord and it works fine now -- in the car. I really like the Montana I got that day in Anchorage.

Mine is a nuvi 1300. The model number of yours might help since the nuvi name applies to a lot of different units.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks a bunch for the reply! I don't think it is a cable problem, it won't work on battery or attached to computer. It is a Nuvi 1200, can you give me some pointers on how to disasseble it? It is difficult to find a replacement here in Panama!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Grinnin
Forever N00b

The silver-painted plastic rim has 6 or 8 tabs pointing toward the center of the screen. The black plastic has slots for those tabs to hook into. Go around the perimeter -- the very edge of the GPS -- and gently pry up (toward a viewer looking at the GPS). Go around a few times and some will release the first time and some will release the next. IIRC I didn't pry outward as you might expect for inward-facing tabs, but upward away from the GPS.

Once the plastic rim is off, there will be 4 or 6 very very tiny "torx" screws facing the viewer. This is where I set mine aside for a week until I borrowed a friend's tiny torx bit.

After the torx screws are out it simply separates into front and back, The circuit board has the power switch on it and that fits up into the rubber power button, so you have to tilt/slide to disengage the power button, but it separates pretty easy.

The display and the battery both plug into/onto the circuit board. I sprayed electronic contact cleaner on mine, but I spray electronic contact cleaner on everything. Fixes clocks too.

With your nuvi 1200 open you may want to test for continuity between the inside and the 5 contacts in the USB port. The USB mini B (or is this one a micro B?) is a bad choice for even a car GPS -- those wires are too small. You can also check the voltage of the battery which I suspect is just under 5V, but will probably be printed on the battery.

Good Luck.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You have been amazingly helpful! However, on the 1200, I see just one indentation, on the right side. Before starting disassembly, for some reason I decided to attach the cable to computer one more time. It lit up!? Resurrection from the dead. I have no idea what caused this, or what to do if it happens again. Fortunately it died right after it led me to my hotel in a strange city in a strange country, not before, or I would have had a very uncomfortable experience, during a rainy night.

Now that it seems to be working again, perhaps you would be so kind to answer another question for me? When connected to the computer with Basecamp operating, I see a long list of old tracks. How do I delete the ones I no longer want?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Good news!

I use Linux so I can't run Basecamp unless I install Wine, a program that runs windows programs on Linux computers. And earlier today I failed to install Wine -- it simply quits and says it's still not installed.

BUT I have deleted tracks. I use my computer's regular file browser. It displays the files inside the GPS units like they are files on any USB drive. I just use the computer's regular "delete file" button.

THEN I have to show the "hidden files" and delete the directory (or folder) called ".trash" . I don't know if you need to do this in windows or if this is a UNIX/Linux thing. On UNIX/Linux, leaving the .trash directory causes the old files to still take up space ON THE GPS even though they're "deleted".

I BET you can delete the files from your Windows file system and delete the trash too. But you may need to ask a Windows user.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
My Zumo did that once

If the same : Remove the internal battery (need small allen wrench to open the trap door) and reinstall the battery right away. Should work fine.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote