Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 04:28 AM   #301
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Brawn announces his retirement:

Quote:
"If they had put two and two together they would have realised I was definitely retiring."

"I'm retiring - it's not tongue in cheek," Brawn said.

"I'm going to take a year to enjoy the fishing and then see what life brings. I'm looking forward to it but I've got no other plans.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...h-McLaren.html
Old 02-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #302
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,183
"See what life brings" might include an irresistible offer to return to F1, possibly?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #303
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

I think that Brawn's problem is that having tasted the relative freedom of being a team owner, the prospect of being employed probably doesn't seem very attractive.

His last experience with the Mercedes board bringing Lauda in has probably just reinforced his distaste for being an employee. It's not as if he needs the money and he knows that the main characters in the two teams he has been linked with, Ron Dennis and Frank Williams are neither likely to take a back seat.

I think that if there was an opportunity to own a team again, one that was at least potentially competitive, that might be enough to see him want to return.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #304
wxwax
Excited Member

I wonder how much latitude Frank Williams would give him?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 02-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #305
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I wonder how much latitude Frank Williams would give him?
Probably more than Ron would but not much. I think that the appointment of Claire Williams as deputy team principal shows that Frank sees it as a family concern.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #306
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,145
F1: Drivers find new-era cars "a bit too slow"

Jonathan Noble
February 04, 2014

Formula 1 drivers think that the new generation of cars are too slow at the moment, even if they are still hugely challenging to drive.
The first experience of the turbo V6 machines at Jerez last week showed that although the new engines are still delivering plenty of horsepower, they are lacking in cornering speed.
The best lap time of the test set by Kevin Magnussen was eight seconds off the best-ever lap time set in testing at the Spanish track by Michael Schumacher back in 2004. That speed deficit has left a number of drivers worried that F1 has lost some of its sparkle.
Sauber's Adrian Sutil said: "We have lost downforce, around 20-30 percent from last year, and now also the tires are one step harder. It makes it more difficult all the time.
"It is a shame because F1 is a bit too slow at the moment. From the engine side it is very powerful, so we are not down on the power side, it is nice to drive and nice to have a turbocharger. But from the aerodynamics, I think we have to step up a little bit, because F1 should also be quick in the corners.
"And the tires are just too hard. I don't understand why they have to be so conservative. I think we can at least have a tire with decent grip situation."
STILL FUN
Fernando Alonso reckoned that the slower speeds meant the new 2014 cars were less of a physical challenge to drive, but denied they were boring.
"It's not the same from a physical point of view," he said. "These cars are easier than Formula 1 has been. The forces and speed are less in the corners, but on the other hand there are more parameters to control, more buttons on the steering wheel.
"There is more criticality in terms of driving and having control of the car in high-speed corners and with traction. It's just different.

"I've driven karts that are half a minute slower than F1 and I still sweated and enjoyed driving. As long as you are driving at the limit, the lap time you do, it doesn't change the emotional point of view. This car is still fun to drive."
Williams driver Felipe Massa admitted that the lower speed was noticeable in the cockpit, but suggested that because the cars are so tricky, the driving is still exciting.
"The car is much slower than last year," explained the Brazilian. "When you drive on the limit you're trying to use everything from the car, so when the car is difficult to drive it doesn't feel so slow, it feels difficult. But when it's easy and grippy, to drive it feels slow even if you have a much quicker lap time."
Sutil believes, however, that the situation will improve dramatically over the course of the season, so things would be much better in 2015.
"I think you have seen over many years with new regulations from the car, that once it gets going, they pick up seconds every months or two months as the car improves," he said. "So I expect at least four seconds between the end of the season and to the new car for 2015. There will be a huge step and hopefully F1 will be fast enough again."

Jerez has hosted pre-season tests for all bar one year since 1999 which provides an interesting comparison for the relative speed of the 2014 Formula 1 cars.
Looking at the best times from the first of the pre-season tests that took place each season at Jerez, it is clear that the current generation of cars are much slower than they have been in recent years. However, the speeds shown last week are not too dissimilar to how F1 was in the early 2000s.

This article originally appeared in Autosport.com

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
geg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #307
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

lap time data

Year Driver Lap Times
1999 Zonta (BAR) 84.95
2000 Coulthard (McLaren) 84.344
2001 R Schumacher (Williams) 83.159
2003 Badoer (Ferrari) 78.486
2004 Raikkonen (McLaren) 76.074
2005 Wurz (McLaren) 76.043
2006 de la Rosa (McLaren) 76.504
2007 Kovalainen (Renault) 79.183
2008 Hamilton (McLaren) 79.132
2009 Bourdais (Toro Rosso) 77.472
2010 Hamilton (McLaren) 79.583
2011 Barrichello (Williams) 79.832
2012 Rosberg (Mercedes) 77.613
2013 Massa (Ferrari) 77.879
2014 Magnussen (McLaren) 83.276

Old 02-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #308
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

pretty cool tech....

Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #309
MF1A
Ride with the Wind

Oddometer: 257
maybe all the other teams are waiting to Mr Newey Work! .... yep... i better sit and relax.... i will wait to Red Bull job is done... the i will copy that..... ( sounds familiar to me )
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #310
wxwax
Excited Member

I think Sutil nailed it. They'll find the time, they always do. I don't think fans notice or care, really. Indy's about the only place where they obsess over top speed.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 02-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #311
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
According to published reports Ferrari found that their on track data matches their wind tunnel data. It's been a while since that was true. Good news for the Scuderia.
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #312
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
According to published reports Ferrari found that their on track data matches their wind tunnel data. It's been a while since that was true. Good news for the Scuderia.
Sure is. Almost hard to believe.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 02-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #313
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

translated:

Quote:
Jenson Button thinks the GP2 support series to F1, it could be as fast as the top class in the 2014 season.

At the end of the first test in Jerez concluded last week-it was the first of the new Turbo V6-pilots were impressed by the couple, but very concerned about the large reduction in cornering speed.

The first few laps of Jerez showed dramatic times: even 10 seconds per lap than one year ago. Only Kevin Magnussen, the rookie McLaren at the end of the last day was able to reduce this gap to 6 seconds.

In contrast, the GP2-whose regulation is not changed instead, allowing the cars to make progress on the structures already-effective is proving faster and more efficient aerodynamically the previous years.

"On some circuits become more or less the same time of the F1-said Button-course, on average we will be faster, but not much and not on all tracks."

Old 02-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #314
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,589
Changes to qualifying?

Additional tires in Q3 and a bit more time would improve the spectacle, IMHO

JC

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #315
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

cool (pun)

Quote:
Tech Talk: Ferrari's revised cooling inlets

Thursday 06th February 2014, 21:27 by Matthew Somerfield (@SomersF1)

Octane Photos/The F1 Times

Cooling is going to be one of the biggest challenges for the teams in 2014 with the new power units requiring different characteristics to its predecessor.
The teams will of course over time refine the way in which they approach the design of cooling apertures, as aerodynamic efficiency can be compromised by the placement of inlets and outlets.
Ferrari have already started chasing these refinements during the first pre-season test in Jerez. The F14 T was spotted sporting different apertures during the first four days of testing.
With one sidepod enclosing the turbo's intercooler and the other featuring an assortment of engine radiators you will notice the use off asymmetric layouts from time to time.
In the case of the F14 T it was noted that in the first few days of running the left-hand sidepod featured a small inlet at its base [1], whilst the top remained smooth [2]. The inlet is likely feeding a smaller oil-cooled radiator. Its placement in this area, although small, would impinge on the airflow performance as it makes its way toward the coke bottle region which feeds the diffuser.
Having noted this factor (perhaps not noticed as a widespread problem in CFD/windtunnel work due to the size of the inlet, however in true scale at the track and with the aid of flo-viz paint the ramifications can be seen) the team closed off the aperture [3] and created a duct on top of the sidepod [4], which utilised the airflow downwashing over the sidepod.
Furthermore some internal ducting was added to move the airflow back to it's intended target, which could be seen when the car was viewed from behind.
Red Bull used a similar tactic as Ferrari's initial inlet on the final day of testing in an attempt to provide additional cooling to the power unit. However this was a last-ditch attempt and it's unlikely to be seen on the re-designed RB10 at the next test.
- See more at: http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/displa....mrJnlFWP.dpuf