User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #496
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
Big story, no follow-up

Anyone know if Raikkonen's widely reported salary dispute with Lotus was resolved?
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #497
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Oddometer: 6,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
calling all JV haters (and possible Vettel fanboyz....)

Jacques Villeneuve: Vettel’s World Championship reign over

Chris Estrada
Mar 10, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Leave a comment

AP Former F1 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve has declared that four-time reigning champ Sebastian Vettel will not continue his title-winning run into a fifth year.
The always outspoken Canadian, who is set to return to the Indianapolis 500 this May, told a pair of Italian publications that Renault’s problematic preseason testing has already finished off Vettel and Red Bull Racing’s hopes for another crown.
“He’s not going to win this year for sure,” Villeneuve told Autosprint and La Repubblica. “To me, Renault seems completely lost and unable even to finish a Grand Prix. Even if [Red Bull] are making a new car for the European races, it won’t change anything — maybe they’ll do 30 laps instead of 15. It’s not the car but the engine.
“I’m joking, but why bother going to Australia? They can’t do half a Grand Prix and are slower than most.”
Red Bull and Renault’s work in the preseason was repeatedly marred by gremlins on both the new RB10 and Renault V-6 engine. While it’s never wise to count out a defending champion, let alone a four-time defending champion like Vettel, reliability figures to be the top priority for him and the team through the early stages of the season, which begins this weekend in Australia.
For his part, Vettel has conceded that Red Bull is not a favorite to win in Oz but has not given up completely.
“[Red Bull and I] have achieved a lot together and I know everyone is working flat out as normal,” he said last weekend.
Going back to Villeneuve, he believes that Mercedes has to be considered the early favorite for the 2014 title but saw the team’s driving tandem of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg as “without a spark.”
He also told the Italian papers that Ferrari remains in striking distance equipment-wise and that he thinks Kimi Raikkonen’s move back to the Scuderia – where he’ll go head-to-head with fellow ex-World Champion Fernando Alonso – will pay dividends.
“For the first time, I see [Raikkonen] working seriously. Maybe his year without pay was good for him,” he said.
“Alonso is a fighter from the first lap and so he might use too much fuel. It also depends on the attitude that he has…The Alonso of 2012 could win this year, but not the Alonso of 2013.”
The Aussie GP weekend officially begins with Thursday night’s opening practice at 9:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra. Coverage starts at 9 p.m. ET on NBCSN with the Countdown to F1 season preview show.
A full weekend schedule can be found here.
Jacques Villeneuve has always been outspoken and a little crazy, that being said he was correct with his past comments that the sport of F1 is trying to please the fickle fly by night fans who must see passing or they will change the chanel, all the while alienating the old faithful fan who generaly has a better understanding of the sport and it's history.

The way the rules are set up this year it reminds me of the board game snakes ans ladders. I think Bernie has gone completly mad and should be removed before he shuns the diehard fan that is keeping the sport alive at the moment and completly ruins the sport.

That being said it will be difficult to repeat anything in the gimick, different points for different races, very limited fuel, unknown tires... etc... this year.

Change for changes sake is not always good and that is what we got now!

You could always flip coins for the results and anima the races with a computer...
Don't let bernie here this, he might go for it, and the last race can be quadruple points to keep fickle fans watching to the last lap of the last race. Something I used to do when Sena won most of the races. Probably will only watch a few laps here and there to see how this gimick season works out! Go Vettle, go Kimmi, go Massa and no rossberg, first and formost I hope you spank your inferiour teammates and maybe you will get to race go karts, golf karts and pit bikes in the parking lot to see who is the best of you four!

My two cents!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #498
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,127
^ Bernie considers you two cents......

nawwwwwwwwwwww

he doesn't

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #499
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAnCrazymtl View Post
Jacques Villeneuve has always been outspoken and a little crazy, that being said he was correct with his past comments that the sport of F1 is trying to please the fickle fly by night fans who must see passing or they will change the chanel, all the while alienating the old faithful fan who generaly has a better understanding of the sport and it's history.
He (and you) may well be correct. I certainly think so when it comes to the long-term, knowledgeable followers of F1 compared to those who see it pretty much as a one-dimensional entertainment.

However, the truth is that had F1 played to the relatively low numbers of people who have a deeper understanding of all the facets of F1, it would have died a slow death by now.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #500
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
If Jacq is so sure about Redbull and Vettel having a bad year, he should bet all his winnings from the last 10 years on it!?!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #501
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
He (and you) may well be correct. I certainly think so when it comes to the long-term, knowledgeable followers of F1 compared to those who see it pretty much as a one-dimensional entertainment.

However, the truth is that had F1 played to the relatively low numbers of people who have a deeper understanding of all the facets of F1, it would have died a slow death by now.
Exactly right. F1 is in the entertainment business. Its owners paid a lot of money for its rights. They're going to do whatever they can to increase revenues for their product. That necessarily includes broadening its appeal beyond a relatively small hardcore base.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #502
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
Big story, no follow-up

Anyone know if Raikkonen's widely reported salary dispute with Lotus was resolved?
Hard to tell. Nearest I can find, by mid-December Lotus had yet to fully pay off Kimi. By mid-January of 2014 they still hadn't paid their 2013 reserve driver, Davide Valsecchi.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #503
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

pretty good Red Bull pre-season video

)

Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #504
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post

I disagree, I think F1 was doing just fine before the push to pass Kerrs, no refueling, shitty tires on purpose and mega tracks where the public does not even want to see the races and in some cases, the races are being shoved down thier throats against thier will! The problem actualy was, Bernie was not rich enough. He sold out the sport for more money, now I am not sure it is sustainable. I don't think that many people want his new product. Time will tell, I personally am losing interest really fast. Those mega tracks may be nice, but IMHO they don't hold thier own to tracks like Spa, Silverstone, the Nurburgring... If you ask me, Hermann Tilke ran out of ideas after the first one... But hey, Bernie needs the coin, Bernie's got expenses, got to pay his ugly daughters 50 grand bar tabs and all that!

All joking aside that ass fucker came on local TV here in Montreal and said at the 2008 race that if we did not fix the pits or whatever like the new mega tracks, we would loose the 2009 GP and beyond. He had the gaul to say if we could not afford it, that was ok, there were a lot of things in life he could not afford too...the guy doing the interview went silent and I remember the look in his eyes saying non verbaly to Bernie you arrogant basterd! Then asked Bernie, what is it you want and can't afford??? It was priceless to see Bernie stumped, he just looked around, went silent an walked away... the tv guy asked him again as he walked away...

I think Bernie may have been good for the sport at one time, those day are gone, he is now just a senile old man... Content to bleed everyone he comes in contact with, dry, for every last penny... With cheating backroom deals!

My two cents!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #505
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,955
so when does it catch fire?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #506
Yossarian
Deputy Cultural Attach

Oddometer: 9,449
Let's start a pool.

Whose RB10 catches fire first, Riccardo or Vettel's?

On what lap does the first RB10 to catch fire, retire from the race?

After the last few seasons of watching Mark Webber's abyssmal luck with equipment failures, I'm going to say that this year, Vettel gets the black cloud. He'll have to exit the race on lap 25.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #507
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Exactly right. F1 is in the entertainment business. Its owners paid a lot of money for its rights. They're going to do whatever they can to increase revenues for their product. That necessarily includes broadening its appeal beyond a relatively small hardcore base.
I think that without that hardcore base, you don't have much left. That hardcore base is the sports credibility... You can only put so much gimmick and bullshit before all credibility is gone!

Right now some, including me see F1 becomming the WWE of auto racing, F1 managment seemingly wants to hand pick the winners and make the last race into a final mega event, a superbowl moment if you will... The whole world watching! Pretty soon we will be seeing ads like : MonacoMania 30..... The smackdown between home town hero Grosjean and his Lotus pitted against German supervilan Rosberg and his english sidekick louis, in a Merc!

If it ain't real, it ain't fun! For now I see the rules as tossing nails on the track just to mix up the results...

Are we all that impatient that we can't wait for someone to beat Newey, Vetel and Redbull fair and square, that we have to toss a monkey wrench into the sport. All dynasty's rise and fall that is part of the fun!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #508
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
Let's start a pool.

Whose RB10 catches fire first, Riccardo or Vettel's?

On what lap does the first RB10 to catch fire, retire from the race?

After the last few seasons of watching Mark Webber's abyssmal luck with equipment failures, I'm going to say that this year, Vettel gets the black cloud. He'll have to exit the race on lap 25.
Vettel is still the golden boy, his car lasts longer!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #509
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Oddometer: 496
Any chance that ALL cars retire from failures?
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #510
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkins View Post
Any chance that ALL cars retire from failures?

from AMuS

"We asked Whiting: What if all cars fail to finish? Last survivor not automatically winner."

Quote:
Worst case scenario for What happens if no one comes?

The new Formula 1 is still in its infancy. Even optimists expect that only half of all cars crossed the finish line. But what happens when there are less? Or perhaps no one comes to the finish? We have the expert Charlie Whiting and Beat Zehnder asked.
It is the largest technical challenge of Formula 1 history. Test drives have already been given a taste of what we could expect the premier class in Melbourne. The minimum record was the Monaco GP of 1966. Only four cars finished. Also in 1996 only saw four drivers take the checkered flag in Monte Carlo. However, three more were still counted because they had failed shortly before the finish. They also got championship points. These must have been completed at least 90 percent of the race distance. In Melbourne, that would be 53 rounds.

No car in the target? The last Havarist is the winner

This leads to the question of what happens when a car creates the 58-lap race in Melbourne. Even FIA race director Charlie Whiting have to think, because there has never been such a case in the Formula 1 World Championship. "The winner is then the driver who has recently failed," says Whiting. With one caveat: "We would have to formally cancel the race due to lack of vehicles. This means that the rules apply in this case, which come into force in a racing crash. Is then evaluated the level two laps before the crash. "It could be that it is not at this time was the last survivor of the lead. Then wins another.
And what to measure the 90 percent? Answer: ". At the round number of the winner" As in the first race a high failure rate is expected that teams will repair damage in the race in which they would normally have parked the car. "It might be worth to swap an electronic box or a rear wing," says Sauber team manager Beat Zehnder.
Complicated computation games

Force India technical director Andy Green doubts: "For us, a rear wing swap takes 15 minutes because even hang the hydraulic lines for that DRS That is almost too long to be counted.." Bent control arms of the suspension, he waves his hand. "With the carbon handlebars, you need to replace the whole corner. It would be too dangerous to just replace the damaged component, because in a collision, other parts of the suspension can be affected. Carbon parts you do not see from the outside whether they what have copped. " At least one case is clear: there are less than 75 percent completed, there is for every half points. And this 75 percent refer to the full race distance of 58 laps.
By Michael Schmidt on 12 March 2014