Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Alarm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Ancona to Bern in winter

Hello,

I have to be in Bern (Swiss) in the end of January for several months.
So i thought of going from Greece there with the bike. Talking the ship
to Ancona and from there through the highway to reach in 2 days Bern.

That is something like 800km. My question is if this is possible during the Winter time with a Touring bike.

I would like to see opinions from people who live in that region if there will be problems with frost, not allowing me such a trip. What do you think ?
I do not plan to go through the Alps of course, as i said, the point is to reach safe there in 2 max 3 days.

Thank you in advance.
Alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Its possible : if you stay on motorways you would have problems only during strong snowfalls
in this case better stop and wait the next day : it will be cleared.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Alarm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
Its possible : if you stay on motorways you would have problems only during strong snowfalls
in this case better stop and wait the next day : it will be cleared.

This would mean that its always likely to need to stay on a place for 2-3 days cause of the snowfalls. Right ?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 292
Not for 2 or 3 days, may be just a night or a few hours.

To go from Italy to Bern, you should take the Gotthard tunnel as mountain passes are mostly closed ( some lower ones are kept open, like the St Bernard ). So when snow fall starts it will take some time to clear and salt the highways, but they are priority so its a question of a few hours delay.

Yet if its really cold, you may have iced humidity or melted snow that has re-frozen. For bikes these are very treaterous, because they appear very locally.

This morning it is just around freezing point, so I took my ST1100 to go to the office. At some places roads were dry, at others humid but salted, at others my bike's rear slipped - nice to have TCS.

Sent from my IBM Simon using morse
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Alarm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like its finally not the best idea.
Of course i did not intend to go through any pass. My plan was to reach safe to Bern and have my bike there for 4-6 months. It wold be a great opportunity to travel in central Europe.

I have lived in Germany, but i am not familiar with the weather in north Italy and Swiss during those months.

How are things in April like ? Better chances to arrive safe? Maybe it be a better idea to go back to Greece during eastern an return with the bike.

I ain't got a problem with the rain at all. I have driven on snow and ice, which was with a dirt bike on the mountains. So nothing to compare with a street bike on a frozen street.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Of course i did not intend to go through any pass. My plan was to reach safe to Bern and have my bike there for 4-6 months. It wold be a great opportunity to travel in central Europe. .
You don't have to go through high passes , winter could be also really good as weather ,

This was end of January/early february going skiing at Courmayeur (Monte Bianco in background) - apart the cold , riding was even better than in summer.
The key point is the weather , up to today are 19 days of clear skies and sun in North Italy.
An option could be also to take a ferry from Patra/Igoumenitsa to Venice, so to shorten the road part and also have less changes in weather - central adriatic coast could have more rain than the north.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #7
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Don't misunderstand. I agree with Giorgio, you can make great rides in winter if you are not afraid of the cold + well equipped. In fact on a good day you can have +10 & perfect blue sky, but after sun fall temperatures will drop quickly.

If you are a little flexible with your trip, it should be no problem. But if you have to do your Ancona-Bern trip on a specific day you need to be lucky or unlucky, depending of the weather at that very time. There is no fixed rule other than +/- permanent snow above 1000m from Jan to March.

Up-here we are used to that. You can have snowfall in the mountains even in May or June. It happened to me a few years back coming back from Austria and crossing the Furka Pass. We got into heavy snow fall. Our bikes were among the last few vehicles and in the evening the pass was closed.

Womble_CH screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 03:37 AM
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote