ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Outlaw4Shrt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 7
Operation rebuild on a budget

Like any good Soldier, I've spent the majority of my time smoking free cigars, drinking coffee intravenously, skyping with the wife & kids, and scouring the internet for my next bike. After months of searching, I had my heart set on a early 90's TDM 850 since I've rebuilt a lot of yamahas recently. I was ready to pull the trigger on a nice one until I found this sweet little gem of a 2007 KTM 990 Adventure on Copart. I put a bid on the bike and won last week and now it's sitting in my garage back home. The good news is that it doesn't look too far from being road worthy and has had some nice bits on it at one point including the pipe and brp triple clamp that's still on the bike. The bad news is I really have no idea what I am getting into, and from the research I've done thus far, it appears that there is a lot I need to look out for. Thankfully I am highly motivated, have at least three more months to prep and have ready what I need to get it running as soon as I get back, and plenty of deployment money to put towards the cause.

I concede to the massive amounts of knowledge on this forum and kindly ask that if you can take a look at what I have and offer any advice on what I should plan to do and have ready, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I'm totally excited about putting used and second hand parts on this bike, so if you have anything sitting around that you no longer need and think that I might, feel free to offer it up for sale. Lastly, for those of you who can't offer any advice or parts, but want to support a mid-career paratrooper with cigars and/or k-cups feel free to shoot me a pm and I'll send you my address.

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

Here she is:

Outlaw4Shrt screwed with this post 09-23-2014 at 01:29 PM
Outlaw4Shrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Looks like everything is there; you may have to do some wiring mods...damn dude, awesome find. It looks like a great start for a project.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
2 into one exhaust?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Outlaw4Shrt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoule View Post
Looks like everything is there; you may have to do some wiring mods...damn dude, awesome find. It looks like a great start for a project.
thanks man, I'm excited about it.

yeah, from what I can tell it has the fmf 2 into 1 exhaust. it it also has the brp triple clamp but the steering damper got swiped before it made it to my house.

Anyone know what this is? From what I've read, it sounds like part of the harness that leads to the alarm? I'm guessing the bike may have been stolen and hot wired. I didn't get the key with the bike.

I went ahead and bought a complete key set off e-bay just in case, but anyone know if these bikes can be rekeyed? is it something I can have a locksmith do or will I need to go to a dealer?

my top priorities are:
1) getting the bike rekeyed or at least the fuel caps and seat unlocked so I can take it apart without damaging anything else.
2) adjusting the valves.
3) changing the fork oil, engine oil, coolant, brake and clutch lines.
4) checking the water pump and seals as I guess those have been known to fail.
5) anything else I should be thinking about or planning on?
Old 09-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,103
This link where Pyndon lays out what and where and how,
Start by reading this thread

I can kick some k-cups your way.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
Outlaw4Shrt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
This link where Pyndon lays out what and where and how,
Start by reading this thread

I can kick some k-cups your way.
Richard, I sent you a PM, thanks!

I started reading that thread, wow, there's a lot of good stuff in there. Thanks for the link.