User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
tyluk OP
That's what she said

Oddometer: 114
I Need To Get My Money Back From A Guy In Toronto

It's a long story but here is the gist of it. I was going to buy an enclosed trailer in Canada from a guy. I found the trailer on a forum/site called racingjunk.com. I was suppose to meet this person in May to pick the trailer up. The weekend we were to meet he was unable and had to cancel. My summers are extremely busy with work and so we had to put it off until this fall. Well, I gave him $1,000 to hold it for me.

Fast forward to now. I had tried about 2 months ago to pick it up again and the guy was out of town for 3 weeks during the time period where I was in the mid west and could have easily grabbed it (it's in Toronto and I live in Colorado but was visiting family in Indiana). He travels around the world for work and has a very busy schedule too.

So, a month ago the trailer received damage and needed to get repaired. He was upfront about it and sent me photos. I talked with the company who is doing the repair. The only thing holding them up from doing the repair is the person is who I'm buying the trailer from. He is waiting for his insurance.

Now that happened Nov 2 and the trailer is still not repaired. I told him I needed this thing back in May and can not wait any longer and need to move on. He said it was no problem and would refund my deposit back 12 days ago. I have not been able to get ahold of him since. My girlfriend and I are using this trailer as our house as we ski around for the winter. We are headed to Alaska in a couple of months and needed a trailer as we have been staying with friends on couches. When I agreed to buy the trailer it was undamaged and I was suppose to have it 3 months ago. The deadlines for him to get it to me continue to come and go and he has been completely unwilling to help me in any way at this point.

Some of you may be asking why I didn't just go buy another enclosed trailer. The answer is this, it's a very specialized trailer with a living quarters in the front and a garage in the back. It is a custom floor plan and not may exist. This was the only one I had found in 8 months of looking until just last week. I found another in Phoenix and went a bought it. Now I'm trying to get my money back from him.

This is what I know about the guy:

1. I have a cell number
2. I know where he works and have a work number for a receptionist. I've called and asked for him before but he travels so much they rarely see him at the office.
3. I have another number that I'm not sure who it is. It's a cell number and I thought it was his wife as she had text me from it in the past. I called it today and his son answered. He also then hung up on me after he said Dave (trailer guy) was not there
4. I have a work email address and a personal email address
5. He has his own snocross snowmobile race team and they have a website
6. His address is 819 Cedar Glen Rd Dunsford Ontario Canada
7. The RV is suppose to be repaired by a company called HB Cycles

That's about all I know. I tried to get a refund from Paypal but they won't do anything after 45 days so I'm screwed from that point.

So, besides not ever giving anyone a deposit anymore what would you guys and gals do? I'd like to just drive up there and find him but that's a 33 hour drive...

tyluk screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 10:06 AM
tyluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
2Trider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Call HB and see if it is there.
http://www.hbcycle.com/
They are good guys
maybe make arrangements to pick it up there if possible.
Overall it is a pickle your in IMO

Good luck
2Trider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
tyluk OP
That's what she said

I've talked with the guy Dave at HB Cycle in the RV section. He is waiting to hear from the seller on what he wants to do with it to get it repaired. This has been the same story since Nov 2. Six weeks and still nothing has happened.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,745
Guys, the trailer owner is in the Dunsford Kawartha Lakes area. Anyone around that area know who the trailer owner might be?

Lets try to help the OP out and get this resolved. I'll try to get hunt down a phone number and give him a call.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 389
I pm'ed Tyluk a few minutes ago asking for details.

John
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
tyluk OP
That's what she said

Update

I have an update from my end. After almost 2 weeks of calling him, emailing, and texting with no responses I finally got ahold of him today. I text him this morning saying I would be emailing everyone in his company as well as all his sponsors for his snowmobile team trying to find a way to get my $1000 back. He promptly text me right back saying I'd have it on Tuesday. He also told me I was fucking with the wrong person with my threatening text. I replied if I didn't have it by Tuesday I'd be taking further action. I appreciate all the responses. You guys are a great bunch. I'll keep you updated as to what happens on Tuesday.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
I was fucking with the wrong person with my threatening text
WTH you wouldn't be having the conversation if He was the " Right" kind of person as you would have already had your deposit back as promised

plus it was not a "threat" it was a matter of fact

this guy acts like He can retaliate yet He can't seem to get anything done
obviously money is an issue as He requested a deposit and He won't get his chit fixed when damaged

You get the Phoenix trailer in your possession yet ?
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,059
hope you resolve all the drama, curious what the trailer (one you bought or the damaged one) looks like in and out, share a few pics with us?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Seeing as you know where the trailer is and you have made a partial payment on said machine my thought was send someone over and remove 1000 dollars worth of parts from it. Lets say wheels, tires, loading doors and the hitch assembly.
When he returns your money you will return his parts.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
tyluk OP
That's what she said

Quote:
Seeing as you know where the trailer is and you have made a partial payment on said machine my thought was send someone over and remove 1000 dollars worth of parts from it. Lets say wheels, tires, loading doors and the hitch assembly.
When he returns your money you will return his parts.
I like that idea.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
tyluk OP
That's what she said

This is the trailer I just picked up in Phoenix. It is full aluminum built by ATC in Indiana. It has a 14' garage in the back and the rest is living quarters with an overall length of 41'. I'll get inside photos for you tonight.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,059
sweet trailer but BIG, just saw this on ADV

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937834
Old 12-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 641
holy crap thats a biggin
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,745
I posted this elsewhere, but this is a better venue...

If you don't hear by tuesday let us know, i can contact the owner and can go get your money..... I'm off work from dec 21 to Jan 6th and will have several days of not much to do. He's a couple hrs away but oh well.

I had a kinda similar situation and relied on my US brethern, they gave me awesome support... read here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793015

Perfect time to return the favour. Send me his address and phone # and I'll contact him on tuesday if you don't get it resolved. I would think once he starts to feel that this isn't going to go away and people around him start to hear the story, he'll pay back the funds.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
tyluk OP
That's what she said

Yeah it's not small. It's our permanent home for the next 2 years so we wanted a bit of room.

Maggot12, that is a very generous offer and I appreciate it. I will let you know what happens on Tuesday.