Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,572
It has been done.
Software and data is installed and Mapsource is working.

City Nav
Roads and Rec
Topo, east, west and Alaska/Hawaii

All CD's are installed in my aging IBM X40(35 gig Hard drive) running Windows XP.

All appear in the Mapsource dropdwn box and the data transfers to my GPSmap 60csx. I can toggle from map to map.

I am not the computer WIZ. I needed McNutt's help and my son's help to understand the file and folder structure. We(my son and I) hit many blind alleys and we must have installed and uninstalled mapsource 20 times. The key was to create the folders like McNutt suggested and the install them using the old install and finially do an updated install so that City Nav could also be seen.

I will make an effort in the next few days to get my son to describe exactly how we did the installs.
My son is a GIS map guy. McNutt must be a computer geek of some kind too.

I was out of my depth.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Why do it?

Guys,
I have traveled through central and South America and across Russia and Europe by motorcycle. I have traveled all over the USA but now in retirement it is time to take a closer look.

In my travels outside the USA, I came to depend on my GPS.
Knowing where I was and my direction of travel were invaluable and if the GPS mapping showed a road and me on it I could concentrate on riding, not navigating.

That wasn't always the case because the mapping was inaccurate but it was the best option for someone like me with little or no language skills.

The GPS mapping for the USA is a wonderful thing and the data in Citynav, Topo and Roads and rec are time saving and potentially life saving. I will always have paper maps(I have hundreds) but as soon as I get the data in my computer transferred to micro SD cards I will have an electronic road atlas in GPS form for the entirety of North America including the roads, structures, services, facilities and landforms.

I will be able to carry all that data in the change purse of my wallet and no matter where I am if I have my GPS I will know my way.

Now to slice up all the USA data into smaller chunks like what you would do with a fat sausage and a sharp knife.

bill

Bill Shockley
Old 12-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,700
you will not need to split it up that much, into that many cards.
i'd say 2 2gb cards will cover all of that with those 3 maps programs and the 2025 limit per mapset.

you sound WAY over your head with computers man if you can't even find the setup.exe installer filer nor even the D drive/optical drive/cd rom to install these maps. best to leave it up to someone who knows. just tell them to copy the contents of roads and rec to the hard drive and then install from there. topo and city nav install into the computer straight from the disc.

you're an interesting character. when your clueless on something here on ADV you are nice and friendly, but when you have an opinion in other forums a bitter old man know it all attitude seems to come out. i hope you figure it out dude.

ps microsoft is ending all support for xp in the new few months and your computer will be more exposed than ever. might time to pull the plug before you're hacked bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Guess I want know about the data size and tile numbers until I try to create the map sets but I was hoping to get everything completey on 3 or 4 micro SD cards(no deletions) so it would be:

1. The West-including Alaska and Hawaii and the western states including the mountain States and Montana.

2. The Midwest including Texas.

3. The East and the South.

4. Mexico, Texas and the SW border states and the Baja.

Each of the cards with a heavy overlap of a north south tier of states and in the case of the Midwest thatwould include the east and west border states.

Still strugling with McNut's instructions for loading the CD's to my PC.

I had to clean house in My Documents. That's done and everthing is labeled there. I have a Garmin folder created for Saved map sets but I have to get the CD's for Topo and Roads/rec loaded up on my PC and then everything backed up on an external drive for safety.

Got to figure out what Program files are?
Putting Topo westin the CD drive now.

I'll try that now and be back with questions and results(I hope).
bill
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #19
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
The key was to create the folders like McNutt suggested and the install them using the old install and finially do an updated install so that City Nav could also be seen.
bill
Oops. I forgot to say I usually do this as a clean new from scratch install, starting by installing the oldest (R&R) first and newest (CNNA) last.

It's been several years since I last did this as once it's done there is no need to redo it unless something breaks or you get a new computer.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #20
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
you will not need to split it up that much, into that many cards.
i'd say 2 2gb cards will cover all of that with those 3 maps programs and the 2025 limit per mapset.
Not so. His Topo west (about 1/2 the continental US) alone is 2622 tiles and R&R for the eastern 1/2 is 2270.

I think to cover all 50 states with R&R + Topo + CNNA, with a fair amount of overlap, @ 2025 per set will likely be 4 sets.

And older versions of Topo do not by default load the map data from the CD to the hard drive.

My point is none of us is perfect and that I find the balance of your last post unnecessarily harsh and belittling.

Bruce
Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #21
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Other options

I've been doing this for years, it's not easy and takes time to figure it out.

That said, I've gone quite a bit further....

I found a discussion on how a guy had compiled the old (v3) Topo into 'big' segments... reduced the map segment count to around 220 for the whole US.

Yeah, it's 100k topo, and about 10-12 year old, not route able. Topo is too busy on screen to use normally, but handy to check some things.

So I used his method to compile Topo... works good!

Then, he had suggested that his method might work on other map sets.... tried it on Topo 2008 - no luck.

But I tried it on Road & Rec....works! Got it reduced to 95 map segments totaling about 400k.... easy enough to fit on a newer hand held.

So on my 76cx I'm able to load the whole US and Canada of Metroguide V8 (like City Navigator but not locked), the whole US of Topo V3, the whole US of Road & Rec, the whole of Canada enhanced basemap.

Just over 3gb of data and 1900 map segments. You can then turn on or off whatever map you do want to see or don't want to see on your GPS.

Once the maps have been recompiled (which takes days of computer run time), it's no harder to load than any other map set.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

That is correct, using 3rd party software tiles can be combined. I consider this an option for power users and the first couple posts strongly suggested we were not talking power users here.

Bruce
Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Hey guys,
Thanks for the support and ideas and especially to Eakins.
I offer this compassion to myself.

All my ideas are personal, they are not a threat nor intended to be. With regard to maps I have no desire to replace paper maps or other electronic maps. I find all maps beautiful.

As for who I am, in my defense, an iconoclast and eccentric from birth, not something I asked for, something that was given.

Bitter, no. I always felt I got too much and was embarrassed by all the gifts I have been given.

Lost or confused in all the realms, sure and often, and never afraid to admit it or ask for help or admit I was wrong. That said, my interests are mostly conceptual. I am a mechanic at best, not an engineer.
At worst just a hack.

I've been riding and racing motorcycles for over 50 years, traveled far and many times hurt myself physically and emotionally so safety and convenience are a primary concern.

I am 68 years old and still growing spiritually.

Merry Christmas to all.

bill

Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 11:19 AM
Old 02-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #24
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Done and working

The road atlas...

So I did it like this.
Each segment has City map added, only 129 maps for North America and Mexico.
Drive out of the segment and City map covers you.
Each segment contains City Map, Roads and Rec and Topo and an overlap.

Content as follows:

West 1998 maps 1.73 GB
West(cont) 1994 maps 1.71 GB
West Central 1997 maps 1.68 GB
East Central 1938 maps 1.65 GB
North east 1466 maps 1.58 GB
South 1988 maps 1.62 GB

In the end it all worked out and all the map sets are stored on my computer in My documents. Took some time to load it all but so far so good.

Thanks to all who helped!!!

Don't forget to label the micro SD cards.

bill

Bill Shockley