Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #31
MaxV10
GSA Rider

Oddometer: 3
This is a review of a new Pilot Trans.Urban bright yellow jacket purchased the end of February for an end of March ride. My intent was to take it on a trip from Minneapolis to Florida to see if it would be suitable for a Prudhoe Bay, AK trip a few months from now. I ended up putting on 4,500 miles over 7.5 riding days in weather from 18 – 89 degrees F. Plenty of rain and opportunity for wear to show for the review as well. The trip was from Minnesota - Louisiana - to the east coast near Jacksonville Florida, up to Charleston, then to Pennsylvania and back to Minnesota. I ride a GSA with a stock windscreen for comparison of wind and elements.

I also have an older Aerostitch Darien, Tour Master Epic, and First Gear Mesh Tex jackets to compare.

Sizing:
I am an off-the-rack 44R sport coat and a size large fit fine with liner installed. I had concerns about the fit from other reviewers due to my need to layer a bit more heavily for colder weather riding. I find live with the limited ability to add layering as long as I can get my Gerbings and a middle layer with a comfortable (not too tight) fit. Any more layering and I would have needed an XL.

Design:
I’m not a big “pocket guy”, so the sizes of the pockets don’t matter too much to me. My only comment would be for the small pocket on the forearm of the left sleeve, the flap is vertical when your hands are on the handle bar, and the zipper is not waterproof so water can get in during a down pour when stopped. Not too big of a deal when moving from what I could tell, I didn’t use the pocket.

The full length Velcro along the front zipper got a bit annoying when putting it on and removing the jacket. There may be a slightly better wind seal with Velcro, but not a design element I’m personally fond of - I’d much prefer snaps.
I never used the thumb loop to keep the sleeve down when putting gloves on. To me, they were a distraction and will likely be cut off in the future.

Rain:
I ran into several opportunities to evaluate jacket in the rain. The second day out I ran into a small rain storm in the Little Rock area that lasted for about an hour and a half. I stayed dry and comfortable. The next day was a different story; I left Mississippi for the north gulf coast of Florida and had rain throughout the day. Total time would be 6 – 7 hours depending on how you count it from drizzle to downpour. Unfortunately at about the 3 hour mark I did feel a bit of water getting through the jacket. I stopped changed shirts and adjusted the jacket to ensure it was tight from the rain around the collar. No joy – I started getting wet again shortly thereafter. At about the 4.5 hour mark, I was wet all through the front of the jacket - I was officially soaked. The only reason I could continue my ride was due to my Gerbing jacket that kept me semi-warm throughout the 55 – 60 degree ride that afternoon. The implied marketing of waterproof vs. water resistant was why I bought the jacket for my Alaska trip where it can rain for days in a row, so this is a deal breaker for me. At this point the jacket will be used for commuting only or handed down to my son for his first jacket as he is beginning to ride.

No further opportunities to observe the water resistance of the jacket for the remainder of the trip. I personally will not travel any significant distance with the Trans.Urban without a rain jacket for water protection.

Hot Weather:
I found the jacket very hot during temps above 80 degrees, moving or not. The airflow from the vents on the arms-shoulders and out the back function fine, but you don’t “feel” the flow as it goes over the Reissa membrane. It may have vented the air over the Reissa liner, but it didn’t feel any cooler to my skin, like wearing a vinyl windbreaker and expecting to feel a breeze through it, it just didn’t work for me. To be fair, my other jackets have different designs, they are also hot at that temp range, but when moving they seem quite a bit cooler.

Cold Weather:
No significant comment on cold weather as it is a function of layering and heated jacket for me. I have to say though, the Thermolite liner didn’t seem very substantial for my use and I personally think the liner might be a bit thin. I’m not sure of the newer insulation technologies out there, and what Thermolite is composed of, but this didn’t seem to be suitable enough for Minnesota climates in the spring and fall. Likely it would be perfect for other southerly climates.

Quality Perception:
I agree with other reviewers it is a great looking jacket and seems very well designed. It showed up in great shape, there were no obvious issues, hardly a loose or extra thread to be found. No obvious malfunctions or manufacturing failures.

One note on the main zipper flap, at the end of 500 miles on the first day, I noticed a little wear and a small rip where the zipper rubbed on the flap material on the right side about chest level. This was a bit disappointing on the first day out with the zipper hardly used a dozen times. Of course over the next several days and thousand miles, the tear got a bit worse. For a jacket that I would expect to wear for years, this was not something I expected on the first day. I didn’t have any noticeable zipper snags that might have caused the early wear; it did seem the zipper rubbed on the flap each time up and down.

Wear:
The zipper flap tear was the biggest issue with simple wear from using the jacket. I checked the Velcro on the front vents for security when I first got the jacket and again after opening the vents a couple days. The thread on one of the Velcro tabs came loose allowing a corner to lift up. Not a big deal, but suggests others may come loose over time as well. Nothing else to report here.

Summary:
As other reviewers have indicated - the best part may be the price. It is a nice looking, good fitting jacket for me and will be used primarily as a local commute jacket do to the water issue stated above.

MaxV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #32
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
I was in the need for a new mesh jacket, and I like the design elements of this jacket.

However, the sizing charts seem to run very small. Using existing jackets and the sizing charts, I ordered an XL.

Way too small. Could not even get the zipper within an inch of each other.

I am a big guy... scratch that, I am fat guy too, so I decided I would just go up a size and that would be fine.

The next size up is not as big as it claims, 4 inches larger than the XL at the waist, or I should have had at least an inch or two of room. Instead, the zippers barely came in contact,
While I don't mind admitting I need a 3X, it is not going to work, as the shoulders are awfully loose on the 2X, and with a 3X my hands will not stick out the sleeves given the 2X it is already a little long.

Nothing personal guys, the jacket is nicely thought out and designed, but having to ship 2 jackets back to Amazon, I am going to stick with jackets I can try on in the store.

EDIT: There is something wrong here, laying the two jackets on top of each other, there is less than an inch difference at the waistband. There is no difference at the shoulders either, just under the arms there is about an extra 1/2 inch of material and the sleeves are an inch longer.

That is not going up a size.

Rgconner screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 05:20 PM
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #33
googlie
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi,

When ordering over pants if I typically wear a 34 do I order L (34-36) or do I order XL (36-38) because this is going over my jeans.

Thanks.
googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #34
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,373
Thanks for the reviews...saved me some hard earned cash...being waterproof and durable are the the key things i must have. Great looking but ......

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote