ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
HH OP
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,446
Can a non resident title a dual port in Georgia?

I have a little cabin in Georgia and would like to buy and leave a used dual sport there to ride around. I did a google search and found limited info on this subject. Thanks for any info.
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/R...RegReqmts.aspx

?
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
HH OP
Hurricane Harry

well that is dissapointing
Old 12-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double H View Post
I have a little cabin in Georgia and would like to buy and leave a used dual sport there to ride around. I did a google search and found limited info on this subject. Thanks for any info.
I think you may have given up too early. If you buy a bike in a particular state from a dealer you will be issued a state tag. As a home owner in that state you should have no problem renewing that tag. Am I missing some detail?
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,888
I would think you would have to title, tag and pay taxes in the state and county it is garaged.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,927
I know that people with two homes within GA have to have their vehicle registered in the county they reside in more than 6 months of the year. I would think the same would apply to you.

The vehicle could stay here in GA but would be registered in your permanent residence in WA. As long as you are not a resident of GA with an out of state plate there is no issue. If you do move to GA permanently you have 30 days to transfer license and registration.

Edit.

Here is the language for Non residents and visitors...

Non-residents
Motor vehicles owned by non-residents* may be used and operated on the public streets and highways of this state for a period of thirty (30) days without registering provided these vehicles are properly registered and visibly display valid license plates (tags) from the owner(s)’ home state.

Visitors
Motor vehicles owned by visitors** may be used and operated on the public streets and highways of this state, for pleasure purposes only, for a period of ninety (90) days without registering provided these vehicles are properly registered and visibly display valid license plates from the owner(s)’ home state.

Don't know what they expect you to do after the time period since you have to have proof of permanent residence to get a license and registration.

I wonder where that road goes?

DirtDabber screwed with this post 12-12-2013 at 08:16 PM
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Just call your local (GA) tag office. If you're not in a metro county, they're usually pretty easy to work with.

I thought all of the RV's, motorcycles, etc. like you're describing were required to have Florida plates...(I can't use smilies from my phone)
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
roborider
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 212
Buy and tag it in your home state. Most states only allow registration if your home address is there and drivers license to prove it, I think. And since you're not exceeding the 30 day limit in a continuous line you can leave the bike there all year I believe without it being an issue. It would only be a problem if you stay for more than 30 contiguous days in your cabin.

If you buy a bike in a non resident state they can only issue a tag to residents - otherwise you get a temp tag.

Good luck

Roborider - 1150 GS Adventurer - Galax VA
Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,911
It looks like the OP is in Washington State as his permanent residence. If Washington requires an annual vehicle inspection for tag renewal, then it could be quite inconvenient for him to keep a Washington tag on it for more than a year. If not, then keeping the out of state tag would definitely be the way to go. My local rural DMV here in NC has never asked me for my DL to prove my residency even though I have transferred several out of state titles. Maybe I'm already in their computer as a resident or they just "know" me. I know this really has nothing to do with GA. It seems to me just providing a local address for the title should be enough. If not, you might have to get creative like getting a trustworthy neighbor to register it for you. I would definitely go to the DMV office closest to your cabin. Smaller offices have a tendency to be more willing to dip into the "gray" areas a bit more than the big city offices. Especially if you're a nice person. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
HH OP
Hurricane Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
I think you may have given up too early. If you buy a bike in a particular state from a dealer you will be issued a state tag. As a home owner in that state you should have no problem renewing that tag. Am I missing some detail?
Thanks for the replies everyone.
The delima is if I buy a used bike in Georgia, I may have to have it inspected by the state patrol in my home state to get it titled. If I buy a bike in WA then I have to ship it.
I plan on retiring to Ga in a couple years and it would be nice to already have the bike titled in the state.

If I buy a bike in Georgia I am not a resident and cannot get a registration.
http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/RegistrationSection/rs_RegReqmts.aspx
1) A valid Georgia driver's license or identification card
Old 12-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Since you say "cabin", I assume it is in a rural area. The tag office is the tag commissioners office and that person is elected and usually very accessible. Since you own property and pay taxes on that property they will probably work with you if you go in and talk to them.

Tell them you want to keep the vehicle in GA for use when you are here and therefore it will violate the 30 day non-resident clause. The only issue you may run into is if you are stopped and have a WA license and GA tag. You will be asked why you haven't changed your DL also. Most cops won't be dicks about it unless you are doing something else.

You can try and call the office and talk to them but walking in may have better results.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
HH OP
Hurricane Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Since you say "cabin", I assume it is in a rural area. The tag office is the tag commissioners office and that person is elected and usually very accessible. Since you own property and pay taxes on that property they will probably work with you if you go in and talk to them.

Tell them you want to keep the vehicle in GA for use when you are here and therefore it will violate the 30 day non-resident clause. The only issue you may run into is if you are stopped and have a WA license and GA tag. You will be asked why you haven't changed your DL also. Most cops won't be dicks about it unless you are doing something else.

You can try and call the office and talk to them but walking in may have better results.
Yes I am in the Dahlonega area.

You are right, it never hurts to ask.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 199
I'm not sure that I'd ask. Buy the bike, take the title to the local clerk's office, use your cabin for your address and get it tagged. I don't recall ever being asked for any sort of ID when getting tags.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejman View Post
I'm not sure that I'd ask. Buy the bike, take the title to the local clerk's office, use your cabin for your address and get it tagged. I don't recall ever being asked for any sort of ID when getting tags.

Laws can create some weird problems. When I worked at a dealer we sold a new bike to a customer without a MC endorsement. He could not get insurance without a license. He could not get a tag without insurance and he could not get his MC endorsement cause the bike was not registered and insured.

The owner of the dealer had to ride a registered and insured bike over to the DMV for him to take the test.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double H View Post
1) A valid Georgia driver's license or identification card
You should be able to get a state id card with your cabin residence.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote