ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
ballisticexchris OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ballisticexchris's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Costa Mesa CA
Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJ View Post
I tested those bikes today at the Doffo Winery. Plush! I like the R better as I have a '11 990 R and it just felt familiar. My 990 felt anemic after getting on these 150 HP bikes.
Did you put it in sport mode? Very sick horsepower indeed! I found that the Offroad mode was the best overall setting for blazing through the twisties at pace. IMO, sport or street mode is good for no more than drag racing or track day at the AAA speedway where you can really open it up. There is no where on a US highway where anyone would need 150HP.
__________________
Happy Trails
Chris
05 KTM300EXC, 07 Ninja 650R
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer
 
Florida Lime's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: As stated, and as often as possible -R'ville, N.C.
Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
There is no where on a US highway where anyone would need 150HP.
You keep making that point, but let me leave you with another familiar quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
And me with a big smile. It was so much fun! Can you tell I liked the R model the best?
Maybe there is a connection ?
__________________
'10 Husaberg FE570
'10 BMW R1200GSA "30th anniversary edition"
'08 KTM 950SE-R -- GOING, GOING, GONE
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
ballisticexchris OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ballisticexchris's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Costa Mesa CA
Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
You keep making that point, but let me leave you with another familiar quote:


Maybe there is a connection ?
Very true! I did have a blast for sure. But I have to be honest with myself and know when to say it's too much bike. I have to be realistic.....
__________________
Happy Trails
Chris
05 KTM300EXC, 07 Ninja 650R
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
MKJ
Married w/ Children
 
MKJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Upland, CA
Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
Did you put it in sport mode? Very sick horsepower indeed! I found that the Offroad mode was the best overall setting for blazing through the twisties at pace. IMO, sport or street mode is good for no more than drag racing or track day at the AAA speedway where you can really open it up. There is no where on a US highway where anyone would need 150HP.
Sorry, but pfffffffffffffffff.
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
There is no where on a US highway where anyone would need 150HP.
For me, motorcycles are not something I 'need', as I cant realistically commute on one. Its all about 'want'. The power on the 1190 is definitely not needed, but I sure do want it
__________________
Currently riding 2013 KTM 1190 Adv R

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #21
ballisticexchris OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ballisticexchris's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Costa Mesa CA
Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
For me, motorcycles are not something I 'need', as I cant realistically commute on one. Its all about 'want'. The power on the 1190 is definitely not needed, but I sure do want it
The blog is way cool!! 1st one with elephant , "the box" felt like I was on an acid trip. The serious one of the great views in your country were awesome!! You, my friend, have some serious talent!:
__________________
Happy Trails
Chris
05 KTM300EXC, 07 Ninja 650R
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #22
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
The blog is way cool!! 1st one with elephant , "the box" felt like I was on an acid trip. The serious one of the great views in your country were awesome!! You, my friend, have some serious talent!:
Thanks mate. I can't take the credit for the videos, but the photos are mine

Hopefully I'll have my 1190 R. back soon and I can get out there are take some more!
__________________
Currently riding 2013 KTM 1190 Adv R

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #23
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof
 
Harold Waikiki's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Camano Island, WA
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
Did you put it in sport mode? Very sick horsepower indeed! I found that the Offroad mode was the best overall setting for blazing through the twisties at pace. IMO, sport or street mode is good for no more than drag racing or track day at the AAA speedway where you can really open it up. There is no where on a US highway where anyone would need 150HP.
I dunno. I thought the 150 hp was pretty fun corner to corner on those loooong blocks in the Phoenix area!!
__________________
'14 KTM 1190R
'11 KTM 990 Dakar. '09 KTM 950 SE R Erzberg
'12 KTM 350 EXC
'09 KTM 530 EXC (610 big bore kit)
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #24
Stobie
Mr. Motivated
 
Stobie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Stanley, NC
Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
This
You been to Carolina KTM to ride Scott's demo? You orta go ride it if you haven't.
__________________
Stobie


Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #25
dlrides
1:1.618
 
dlrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Newton NC
Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
You been to Carolina KTM to ride Scott's demo? You orta go ride it if you haven't.
I'm at Scott's place regulerly, the 1190 doesn't interest me. I have a sport-touring bike that is much faster and with same electronic gizmos, so I don't see the advantage.
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #26
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
I'm at Scott's place regulerly, the 1190 doesn't interest me. I have a sport-touring bike that is much faster and with same electronic gizmos, so I don't see the advantage.
What sport-touring bike to you ride?
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #27
FYYFF
Forever young...
 
FYYFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,864
I was at the demo on both days. (It was nice meeting you Chris and Mike, and everyone else)
Here is my 2 cents:
I rode the R model on Thursday. First thing I can say is seating position is alot like Ducati Multistrada and it is FAST. 150 ponies makes a huge difference on open road. Whenever I look down to spedometer, it was well over 80. COuple times well over 100. At one point I thought it was in kph not mph.
Second, brakes are AMAZING. I never rode an other bike like this. Once you know what to expect from the brakes, it fells like you can never crash with this bike. It gives you a huge amount of confidence. Even breaking in the corners is not a problem anymore. I dont like riding on pavement but this bike changed my mind.
It is a bit heavier than my 990 but amazingly it feels much lighter. I didnt people who were telling this before but I experienced the same. It feels much lighter than 990.
KTM basically created 2 new bikes, R and standard. Difference is much more than just the electronic suspension and wheel size. More time I spent around the bikes, more little things I found out. Even the length of the handlebars are different.
Anyways, after riding R for almost an hour (first group got to ride it longer ) I got the impression that it is not an offroad bike. It is an amazing street bike, fast, powerfull, great brakes, MTC keeps you on the bike no matter what you do (almost), but seating position, pegs, handlebar did not give me the feeling of an off-road bike (of course comparing to my 990).
All these thoughts changed on the next day, when I rode regular version with 19/17 tires and full electronics. Now that was a real beast comparing to R model and after riding it, R model felt a lot more like an adventure bike.
I rode R once again after trying the standard and I liked it more this time. So my recommendation is try them both and decide what you like/need. They are not like 990 & 990R. They are 2 different bikes.
There is more (like adjustable windshield, power control, etc.) but I have to go now. I'll chime in more later. Just dont buy one before trying them both.
__________________
- 2010 KTM 990 Adv. -

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube

FYYFF screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 12:48 PM
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
Stobie
Mr. Motivated
 
Stobie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Stanley, NC
Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
I'm at Scott's place regulerly, the 1190 doesn't interest me. I have a sport-touring bike that is much faster and with same electronic gizmos, so I don't see the advantage.
I understand; it didn't really interest me, either. I rode it anyway. Incredible performance, matching the hype and the spec sheet in every way.

It still doesn't interest me. It was awesome, but it didn't make me want it. I rode away on my '93 Suzuki thinking the ol' 'Zook is still a really cool bike. I will almost certainly own another 950, probably an Adv this time. I was stupid to sell my SE two years ago, although the first pangs of seller's remorse didn't hit me until about a month ago.
__________________
Stobie


Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #29
ballisticexchris OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ballisticexchris's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Costa Mesa CA
Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
I understand; it didn't really interest me, either. I rode it anyway. Incredible performance, matching the hype and the spec sheet in every way.

It still doesn't interest me. It was awesome, but it didn't make me want it. I rode away on my '93 Suzuki thinking the ol' 'Zook is still a really cool bike. I will almost certainly own another 950, probably an Adv this time. I was stupid to sell my SE two years ago, although the first pangs of seller's remorse didn't hit me until about a month ago.
I don't feel so bad now that someone else here has sellers remorse like me.....
__________________
Happy Trails
Chris
05 KTM300EXC, 07 Ninja 650R
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #30
FYYFF
Forever young...
 
FYYFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
I was at the demo on both days. (It was nice meeting you Chris and Mike, and everyone else)
Here is my 2 cents:
I rode the R model on Thursday. First thing I can say is seating position is alot like Ducati Multistrada and it is FAST. 150 ponies makes a huge difference on open road. Whenever I look down to spedometer, it was well over 80. COuple times well over 100. At one point I thought it was in kph not mph.
Second, brakes are AMAZING. I never rode an other bike like this. Once you know what to expect from the brakes, it fells like you can never crash with this bike. It gives you a huge amount of confidence. Even breaking in the corners is not a problem anymore. I dont like riding on pavement but this bike changed my mind.
It is a bit heavier than my 990 but amazingly it feels much lighter. I didnt people who were telling this before but I experienced the same. It feels much lighter than 990.
KTM basically created 2 new bikes, R and standard. Difference is much more than just the electronic suspension and wheel size. More time I spent around the bikes, more little things I found out. Even the length of the handlebars are different.
Anyways, after riding R for almost an hour (first group got to ride it longer ) I got the impression that it is not an offroad bike. It is an amazing street bike, fast, powerfull, great brakes, MTC keeps you on the bike no matter what you do (almost), but seating position, pegs, handlebar did not give me the feeling of an off-road bike (of course comparing to my 990).
All these thoughts changed on the next day, when I rode regular version with 19/17 tires and full electronics. Now that was a real beast comparing to R model and after riding it, R model felt a lot more like an adventure bike.
I rode R once again after trying the standard and I liked it more this time. So my recommendation is try them both and decide what you like/need. They are not like 990 & 990R. They are 2 different bikes.
There is more (like adjustable windshield, power control, etc.) but I have to go now. I'll chime in more later. Just dont buy one before trying them both.
Little bit feedback from the demo ride.

As I said earlier, I think they are 2 completely different bikes. Standard version has amazing electronic features to make your ride as safe and comfy as possible. Seating position is lower and more street ride oriented. Handlebar is narrower. I am 6' and rode it with Shoei Hornet DS helmet with goggles and I got a lot of buffering where on R model with the windshield completely lowered, it was quite nice. All fresh air, no buffering at all.
KTM rep was telling me that R model is actually has the same ground clearance as my 990 (2010 990Adv). And standard model significantly lower than the R. :(
Bottom line, 2 different bikes; one is a complete street bike, other one a street bike that "may" have a future in Adventure riding...
I need to try it off road before anything else. Hopefully soon...
__________________
- 2010 KTM 990 Adv. -

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014