Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #16
TakSD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I dont understand how people can still be complaining about this bike! It is miles better than any of the competition, and it has 2 versions to keep everybody happy. It seems to have proven itself both on and off road.
Maybe they have been titled wrongly... had it been 1190 Road and 1190 Offroad maybe everybody would be happier...

So how much does the 1190R lose out on ROAD handling with its 90/90-21 front tyre... Do you think it's limiting on how much lean angle you can get in corners? Is the 1190 standard that much better on the twisties that you just can't disregard it? I've seen a pro rider on the 990 adv go faster on the twisties than I could with my superduke... and then again I have a 450 exc for real enduro riding. Maybe the 1190R is better for all day riding in average roads? The more I read the more confused I become...
Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #17
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakSD View Post
So how much does the 1190R lose out on ROAD handling with its 90/90-21 front tyre... Do you think it's limiting on how much lean angle you can get in corners? Is the 1190 standard that much better on the twisties that you just can't disregard it? I've seen a pro rider on the 990 adv go faster on the twisties than I could with my superduke... and then again I have a 450 exc for real enduro riding. Maybe the 1190R is better for all day riding in average roads? The more I read the more confused I become...
Buy which ever one you like the look of because all types of riding come down to rider capability 99% of the time. Ive overtaken R6's, GSXR1000's and Hypermotards on my R. At the same time, I'll bet there are riders here that will destroy me if they were on the 1190 and I was on a 450EXC.

Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #18
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
I dont understand how people can still be complaining about this bike! It is miles better than any of the competition, and it has 2 versions to keep everybody happy. It seems to have proven itself both on and off road.
Maybe they have been titled wrongly... had it been 1190 Road and 1190 Offroad maybe everybody would be happier...

If you have doubts how good the Adventure R model is, watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JFkjJwff0Y

THis man is a good, crazy rider, however he shows that the R model can handle corners very well even passing some sports bikes at ballisitic speeds.

Remember its not all about going fast, you need comfort, you need to have safety built in to the bike (MSC) like the Adventure has and then its up to you as the rider to make this work for you.

Also this is the internet dont forget its many opinions and views from many diverse people all over the world.
So if you can take the bike for at least a solid hour ride and then make your own judgements..you will then be in a better position to make an informed decision...All the best..
Old 12-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #19
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
Buy which ever one you like the look of because all types of riding come down to rider capability 99% of the time. Ive overtaken R6's, GSXR1000's and Hypermotards on my R. At the same time, I'll bet there are riders here that will destroy me if they were on the 1190 and I was on a 450EXC.

Nerb I love all your videos mate keep up the great work...Rock on
Old 12-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:

I see this bike as aimed squarely at a guy like me. I have riding a GSA for a few years but always wanted something with better dirt manners while still being good on the street. I'm not a KTM guy per say. I have owned a few of their dirt bikes but always sold them soon after buying them. I'm selling my GSA and I have a eldeposit on the Standard model.
PatSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #21
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I have an 1190 R - have been riding it for almost 9 months now and my opinion after living with it is that is one hell of a bike. Easy comfortable commuter, exciting - if you want to do crazy speeds it can. Handling surprisingly good on road) and very capable offroad - it handles single track, dirt roads etc very well. (I upgraded the suspension with progressive springs to be better in the rough stuff and went 3 teeth larger on the rear sprocket to be more suitable for tech).

Yes it is heavy and not as good offroad as a 950SE/990R but I think the R is better than the standard 990/GS (any other new big duel sport bike for that matter - if the 1190R can not take you were you want to go you probably need a 690 in any event).

The limitation on this bike is the rider.

it is extremely easy to ride and the offroad electronics (ABS and Traction control works really well - you can still drift the bike and slide the rear with a safety net - yes if you are a Dakar god you'll switch it off, but for the most it works really well...

Some negative off course - fuel filter - front rim to soft etc.

Probably the best all-round bike that I have ever ridden.
Toors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #22
XB12Xforfun
It can be fixed!

Oddometer: 11
I have ridden both. Did not buy the R. Most of my riding is on pavement. I have never been an "off road" guy. The R felt like a huge dirt bike and that is not what I like. You have to be honest with yourself as to what kind of riding you will do MOST of the time. I ride miles of pavement before I get to a few dirt roads. The standard will do off road too, just not as fast. Both bikes will do more than I am capable of for sure. I'm sure that 21 front tire is better than the 19 in off road but I won't see that where I ride. I bought the standard with intentions to use that torque and speed on the pavement, the only place that I feel comfortable using that much power.
XB12Xforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #23
jameslawson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Best Of Both

Well i'm lucky enough to have the best of both after a year with an '11 990R I tried an 1190 (less than 1500 dry miles) and was immediately sold. My 1190 is fully loaded with elec. suspension traction control and lean sensitive ABS.

Definitely two totally different animals but both bags of fun in different ways

The 990R will now be exclusively for off road and the 1190 Standard (Bought in R colours, previous owner preferred the R White & Black graphics) will now be my touring bike that has off road abilities if needed and of course matching big brother and stable mate to the 990R

jameslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #24
rowesrelics
Dusty-Dog

Oddometer: 10
Buy

The "R" and you will be happy. It handles great on the pavement with the street tires that come on it. And then you can buy knobs for off-road if you want to get off the beaten path.
Less electronics to go wrong with the "R" as well.
I have road both and the standard is a super sweet bike, I just prefer the "R" because I ride off road most of the time.
rowesrelics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #25
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,289
I test rode the Std. model for a good hour before I decided to pull the trigger on the "R" model. As everyone says both bikes kick ass. You just have to decide where your focus will be.
Personally I think the R model goes down the road with less effort and makes a better touring bike. The Std is so sharp and precise it feels almost "sport-bikey". I like that the R has wider, more comfy bars, a less turbulent windscreen(for me@ 6 feet tall), and of course the bigger wheels, that turn-in a bit slower than the Std.
I plan to off-road a fair amount so I like that it feels more like a big dirt bike than the Std.
I also prefer having traditional clickers on the suspension vs. electronic, although it was cool to mess around with while riding.
Buy the one your heart tells you to.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:17 AM   #26
doohan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
M
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #27
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
It's the Rider not the bike...
Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #28
TakSD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinglow View Post
It's the Rider not the bike...

Totally agree! I bet he could do much of the same with a yamaha tmax!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 AM   #29
okeanis1234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
That's why i bought the Standard!

http://youtu.be/og9Xbowi98Q

A video from a Greek guy...
okeanis1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #30
mvonkaenel
Roost Hog or Die

Oddometer: 91
That video is intense.
I really wanted to test ride an R but none to be had around here.
My inseam is 32" so I figured it would be a little tall for me so I am going with the Std. Put down a deposit 3 weeks ago and waiting for it to come in.
Too excited to sleep. All I can do is live vicariously through this forum....
'07 Yam XT225
'14 KTM 1190 Std.
mvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote