Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #196
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
Ladybug, I am back in the Philippines, after reading your report I am going to look at the Honda CRF 250 L. Hell, if a 77 year old can do it, a 73 year old like me should have no problems. Sure nice not to have to have my "Big Boy" pants here. I loved my DR 650, but, back here my XR 200 is working. But, just about everything about the CRF looks better, I want to give it a try.

Sorry, I can't make Eastern Oregon this year, last year was fun, not the rain, and snow, but the rest was.
What? Are you telling me you're not going to return just for the Jamboree? I'm glad you were able to make the last one and maybe you'll be able to make another one in the future.

Enjoy that new CRF250L when you find one to buy.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #197
MTLee6
n00b

Oddometer: 2
QUOTE: Back at Alfonsina’s there was a slab of concrete that looked like a good spot to park motorcycles. Barry pulled up and parked. There was a bit of a lip up onto the concrete so I timidly tip toed onto it from the side, duck walked up and parked behind Barry. Lee came from the other side and was sort of duck walking up as well. Barry and Bruce decided to coach Lee and I with saying (heckling) "you need to connect with your inner Becky. What would Becky do?" Becky then hit the throttle and popped right over the lip and onto the concrete slab. This is one of those stories where you had to be there.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

I was reading this ride report again and enjoying re-living our Baja adventure. Sherry has done such a great job with all the photos and telling the story. I wanted to add a bit to the cement slab part of the story. As I watched Sherry duck-walk and get a little push to help get the back wheel onto the pad, I thought about how I wanted to attack the problem. Thanks to taking the PSSOR Adventure Camp dual-sport training earlier this year, I had learned how to get up and over an obstacle. Since the cement lip was just an obstacle, I used the same technique that we were taught. Stand up and approach the cement at a slow walking speed. Just as the front wheel was about to touch the pad, blip the throttle and up came the front wheel. Then I shift my weight forward as the rear tire came up on the pad. As I was congratulating myself on a perfect landing, Becky came up onto the pad where she bumped into my rear tire! Sherry told me that I had to watch out for Becky's momentum, since sometimes she gets a little throttle happy.

The reason that they were telling me to "channel my inner-Becky" was because I had told everyone about using that to get myself out of a tough riding situation last year. I bought the TW200 late in the summer of 2012 and proceeded to learn to ride the little dual sport bike on forest roads. One day I decided to try some single track and went down a steep, rocky, trail. When I got to the bottom, I had to get back up. With little experience and no training, I knew that I'd gotten myself in over my skill level. To get out, I thought, "what would Becky do?" My friend Becky has lots of dirt bike experience and her mottos are "momentum is your friend" and "when in doubt, gas it". So I believed that I could do it, stood up, shifted my weight forward a bit, and gave it throttle all the way up to the top of the hill. Once I was safely back to the road, I vowed to get some dual sport training so that I could learn some skills instead of just riding by the seat of my pants and hoping that would work out! In June 2013 I took the PSSOR class and learned so much that was helpful.

MTLee6 screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 08:19 AM
MTLee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #198
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,154
What a fun ride report! This rr and a couple of ride reports that Big Dog has done make smaller dual sports look awful inviting. Thanks for a great read.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #199
CeeBee
The Cake Baker

Oddometer: 156
Thinking of CeeBee - Where is that guy?

There is a story with CeeBee "smuggling" vanilla over the border and becoming the Cake Baker.

Hi Sherry - Did you bring me any Vanilla back and get the third degree at US customs?
I just read your RR and it's great. You always write so I feel like I'm there. The last and only time I was there was with you and barry was even there for awhile - good times. I want to go back now!!! Thanks

I'm late to the party because I rode to Guatamala on the WeeStrom from Thanksgiving to Dec.15th. I Sooooo respect anybody that writes RRs especially ones as good as yours.

Glad you had fun! Bye --- CeeBee
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #200
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
What a fun ride report! This rr and a couple of ride reports that Big Dog has done make smaller dual sports look awful inviting. Thanks for a great read.
You're welcome. The small bikes can be a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Thinking of CeeBee - Where is that guy?

There is a story with CeeBee "smuggling" vanilla over the border and becoming the Cake Baker.

Hi Sherry - Did you bring me any Vanilla back and get the third degree at US customs?
I just read your RR and it's great. You always write so I feel like I'm there. The last and only time I was there was with you and barry was even there for awhile - good times. I want to go back now!!! Thanks

I'm late to the party because I rode to Guatamala on the WeeStrom from Thanksgiving to Dec.15th. I Sooooo respect anybody that writes RRs especially ones as good as yours.

Glad you had fun! Bye --- CeeBee
Nope didn't bring you back any vanilla I guess you will just need to bake your cakes with domestic vanilla. The rows of vanilla made me think of you and giggle a bit.

Guatamala? I bet there are some good stories with that.

If you want to have a little fun in the PNW come on up and join us at the Jamboree (see my sig line). For more ride report you can follow my on going report here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894229 I started it last June and it follows my rides. Right now I'm working on a ride to AK Becky and I did in Aug.

Glad you've been getting some riding in.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #201
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,425
Question pics

The OP wrote a great ride report, and it sounded like a blast of a trip.
But I can not see any pictures.

Apparently others can. Is anyone else having problems?
I can view most pics on ADVrider by the way.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #202
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 265
I use Tapatalk and can see most pictures that I just flicked a few pages back at...

I didn't seem to miss any flicking back, although occasionally otherwise, I do get a '?' In a empty frame...
Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #203
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

I don't know why pictures aren't showing. I use smugmug so there shouldn't be a problem with the host site. From my side I can all of them but of course I'm the one that posted them.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #204
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,503
I see the pictures.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #205
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,425
Eh? weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I don't know why pictures aren't showing. I use smugmug so there shouldn't be a problem with the host site. From my side I can all of them but of course I'm the one that posted them.
I use Firefox as a browser, so I usually don't have a problem. IDK