Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #46
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderDave View Post
Thank you for the RR. I'm heading to Baja late Feb. so I'm finding this very informative. Inmate John Downs has a minimalist RR that has me thinking this may be the way to go. Take care.....dave
Hi Dave, Haven't seen you in a while. Enjoy your trip to Baja, it's a fun place to hang out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
Never thought I'd have AARP envy! This is a fun RR. Looking forward to more. Thanks!

AARP envy Some people as they age, they get "old", stop living, hang out in their rocking chair and just wait to die. Other people embrace it, use what they have learned over the year and live it up. We're busy living it up.

Swampfox883R,
So you have the privelage of riding with Barry on a regular basis? When he gets cranky just take him to McDonalds for a senior coffee and he'll be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Hey Sherry how's this?
Much better, now if you can make that weird white blotch go away that would even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
I'm all in. What a cast of charactors. Is this the geritol gang or what?
Characters is right. We didn't have any geritol with us but made it should be on our packing list for the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Lik-ing everything about this ride...
Hi Brad, Nice to have you along. I'm sure you will know each and every place we visit.

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 05:32 AM
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #47
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Day 3 to San Felipe, Monday, 11-18-13

Remember that nice colorful map at the start of this report? Well, as Iím sure you already guessed, that plan didnít get very far. With concerns about the distance we were covering or I guess I should say lack of distance we re-evaluated our plan. While celebrating Barryís birthday with Zingers we threw out our first plan and new plan was developed. We would head to San Felipe, set up camp, stay a couple days and explore the area with unloaded bikes, then move on to the next town and do the same.

When we got up Monday morning it was first things firstÖ..Breakfast but the Restaurant doesnít open until 7:00 am so we needed to be patient. That gave me time to wander around and get pictures of the hotel. There was good TV reception, too bad I couldnít understand anything said. I did find a nice music channel though. We didnít need air conditioning but they did have it.

The rooms were comfortable and clean.

The shower handle in my room was missing but they had a fix for it. Whatever works.

You could park doorstep at birds eye view.

Or thereís the parking lot view parking.

Not a bad place to stay. If I remember correctly a single was $28 and we pretty much took up the entire place.

The owner of the Hotel told us the Restaurant, which is at the end of the Hotel, opened at 7:00 am so at 7:00 we were there wanting food but the door was still locked. We started back toward our rooms to get Becky and we were going to walk downtown for Breakfast. Just as we got to the back of the restaurant a lady was at the back door. Barry asked her when they were going to open or something like that. I think she said they donít open until 8:00 am then she ushered us in through the back door and to a table. This is not uncommon in Baja.

Hey LittleWan, that sign answers BigWanís question about if they have Mexican food in Mexico or if it is just food.

Look over thereÖÖA coffee pot, itís working and thereís no Nescafe jar on the table. This is an important feature.

Lee and Barry patiently waiting for their breakfast. Barry was tapping a tune with his hands on the table. Some kids never grow up.

Breakfast is servedÖ.A little different having fries with an omelet instead of hash browns but it was good. I liked having tortillas instead of bread or toast. Nancy sent the Spanish dictionary with Lee thinking we might need it. Nancy is a pretty sharp cookie the dictionary came in handy. Thanks Nancy.

After breakfast I checked out the flowers.

I had to check out the olive tree too. I have never been this close to one before and it was pretty cool.

Lee getting her bike ready to go see the welder.

While Barry and Lee headed over to get Leeís side rack welded Becky and I took a walk to go buy some water. We kept forgetting we were now on Mexican time and things donít open as early here as they do at home. We enjoyed looking around Valle De La Tinidad.

The main drag sure is quiet in the morning. It was a lot busier the night before.

This guy was working hard getting ready to open his business for the day.

More Mexican food.

A variety of buildings can be found in all the towns.

There are always churches

It was time to get back to the hotel and get the bikes loaded. Bruce had been relaxing and enjoying the Baja surroundings.

I guess it only took a couple minutes to get the weld done. It was so quick neither Barry or Lee got a chance to take pictures. It only cost her $5.00 and she was set to go again.

Becky helping Lee get her bike loaded with Bruce and Barry supervising.

I found an orange grove.

I said good bye to the birds.

And we were on the road again.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #48
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
... Barry patiently waiting for ... breakfast. Barry was tapping a tune with his hands on the table......

He gets that way when he hasn't had his coffee.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #49
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,948
Cool2

tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #50
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
BigDog is in.

You people are having so much fun !!!!!!!
I have got to upgrade to one of those TW200's----I just love those things.

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #51
CommanderDave
Big Dave

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery21 View Post
Would you have a link to that thread Dave? Thanks
Hello Archery21, yeah...here is the url: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076

Between John's RR and Ladybug's AARP escapees, you will have plenty to read this winter. Travel safe...dave
Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #52
Archery21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks Dave!!
Archery21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #53
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Great report!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #54
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,873
Great RR Sherry. We will be heading down there in 10 days.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #55
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox883R View Post
... Barry patiently waiting for ... breakfast. Barry was tapping a tune with his hands on the table......

He gets that way when he hasn't had his coffee.

We were spared since he had a French Press with him and would make coffee first thing in the morning and start singing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post

Hi Tony, you waiting to see how much trouble the Superbug gets into or what you might want to try next with your DR200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
BigDog is in.

You people are having so much fun !!!!!!!
I have got to upgrade to one of those TW200's----I just love those things.

BigDog
Hi Big Dog

You ready to come play with the AARP crowd? You'd have to slow way down so you could smell the flowers along the way. Are you getting bored with your WR250 and need to add a TW to the stable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderDave View Post
Hello Archery21, yeah...here is the url: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076

Between John's RR and Ladybug's AARP escapees, you will have plenty to read this winter. Travel safe...dave
Thanls for posting the link. I saw that when it was first started then didn't follow it for some reason. I just saved it so I can read it this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Great report!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
Great RR Sherry. We will be heading down there in 10 days.
Hi Tim I know you will have fun down there, you always do. I was hoping to see you these last few months but it hasn't happened. Maybe I need to head down to Frednecks this weekend for a sirloin salad.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #56
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

A typical rural Baja home.

Watch for dips in the road.

The pavement isnít always the best but the views are nice.

Becky liked taking pictures on the dippy road too.

Iíve been trying to learn to take over the shoulder shots. I'm not doing so well this is the best I got.

If I remember correctly where we were the sand road on the right was part of the Baja 1000 route. We paralleled it for awhile and there were still some of the markings out there until it curved off to the right and we continued straight.

How about documenting where we were. This is one of the few times in Baja that my GPS showed me where I was. I donít have the Mexico maps installed on it. I was wishing I would have added the maps or bought a new GPS with them but it is what it is. We came across on 5, which is where we were paralleling the Baja 1000 course then headed S. on 5.

The ride wasnít very long and we were at San Felipe in no time. We had gone through two military check-points and they just smiled and waved us through. Iím betting those kids would have rather been with us on the bikes than standing there holding those big guns.

Welcoming committee

I was going to try to keep this ride report as group oriented as possible and not get into too much of the "I" thing but itís not workingÖÖÖ

The first time I went to Baja was in 2008 with Bgunn, Live2Ride and their dad Mi Vale Madre. It was quite an adventure. During that ride I saw the arch welcoming us to
San Felipe and I was very taken by them. This is the third time Iíve seen them and I still think they are pretty cool. After riding through the deserty countryside the big white entrance to San Felipe makes you feel like you are ready to enter a different world.

If you would like to see what we did back in 2008 hereís that ride report but youíre warned itís a long one: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321329. Barry was on that ride too so youíre liable to find a few pictures and mentions of him there too. (That guy gets around )

OK back to this ride report.

At
San Felipe I sort of had an idea where to go for camp. My plan was to camp where we camped in 2008. I rode in circles for a bit just because I always make Barry so proud when I do that then Bruce saved the day with finding camp and leading us to it.

I could have sworn we stayed at Kikiís when we were there in 2008 and I even remembered the name but when we pulled in it didnít look quite the same and it seemed smaller. The person that checked us in was trying to save us money and kept saying there was room for all of us at one of the palapas. We told him a few times we had five tents we are all separates but he was insistent we could all fit at one site. We went and looked at it and insisted we needed two and we would be happy to pay for two.

Bruce and Becky took the tree houses while Lee, Barry and I set up at ground level.

Bruce and Becky connecting with the outside world.

As we were milling about and looking over into another more roomy area we were wondering why they didnít put us over there. Then we realized that was a different campground and there was only one vehicle there while Kikiís was pretty full. Then I realized that was where we stay in 2008 and itís Rubens not Kikiís. While it is roomier and not many people there it made me wonder why that would be. I did remember the restrooms arenít a nice at Rubens as they are at Kikiís but I donít know what other differences there were.

The edge of the campground butts up to the beach so we needed to go see what was happening there. Cool, someone was going for a ultra light ride.

The person going for a ride was an older lady and a man was taking photos of everything - - - - Must be ADV riders. At one point we thought she had changed her mind because she got out but then got back in and all was good.

And away they goÖ..

It sure looks like fun.

Becky said she wanted to go for a ride. That sounded fun and I wanted to too. The rest of our playmates wanted no part of it but were willing to watch us and take pictures. We were watching for the ultra light to come back to find out about getting ride but the people on the beach with the lady left and the ultra light didnít come back. Barry searched the internet to see if he could find the company that provided the rides but no luck. OK fine we would walk to dinner instead.

We took our time to enjoy the flowers. Look at those tiny white flowers inside the big red flowers. Isnít that cool? A twofer.

Then we found an ultimate Adventure mobile for someday when I canít ride any longer (when I get old). Barry get away from my truck, thatís not your style itís Superbug Yellow.

This thing is so cool. I wish the owner would have been around.

Itís even from the same state that I live in. The Good Sam club sticker needs to be replaced though with an ADV sticker.

We found the lighthouse, not that it wasnít easy to find.

Barry and Becky canít leave a staircase unclimbed so off they went up the stairs to the shrine/chapel. Lee then decided she wanted to go check it out too and up she went.

Bruce and I hung out below and waited.

"The
Cerro de la Virgen, a hill where a very recognizable capilla or chapel faces east toward mainland Mexico. The chapel (dedicated to La Virgen de Guadalupe) is white and built of cement blocks. It's highest wall, facing south, was cleverly designed so that two rows of missing blocks formed a cross. It is during times of severe weather the wives of local fishermen make the long ascent up the stairs to the altar where they offer up candles and flowers to the resident statue of the Virgen de Guadalupe and pray for the safe return of their husbands from the sea."

Thereís the ultra light again. Hey, come down here, we want to go for a ride. Apparently that pilot didnít care that we wanted to go for a ride.

I'm going to leave you up at the chapel for a bit and let you soak up some
religion

Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #57
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,184
Very cool. We have been to Baja many times, but never on bikes, we have to go!

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #58
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 291
Great ride report, I'm loving every minute of it....

Cheers...
Old 12-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #59
CoastalCutie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Amazing , can't wait to hear/see more
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #60
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,452
Looks like a fun trip so far Ladybug!