Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #91
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048

While the others headed further in I walked around in the desert and checked things out. There is a lot of interesting things to be seen out there.

Desert or mesquite mistletoe.

I remember that day - I was getting kind of worried when I checked your SPOT page and saw that you hadn't moved for a while...I could tell from the sat. images that you were in a sandy spot...

Glad to see you were just hanging out and taking pics. Whew!

You're doing a great job of reporting, Sherry!
Love those sunrise and sunset photos.

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #92
ertes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
What a great trip. It makes me want to get on my bike and go there right now.
Ninja 650R
ertes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #93
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
I must say, when I saw you taking photo after photo, I had no idea how important it was to make this ride report as interesting as it is. Great job! You are an Artist on a tablet.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #94
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Great photos as I continue this read. Did the rest of the gang find the Geo Cache's you and I found when we were at Valle Los Gigantes? You were probably just standing back going "warm, warmer...oh getting colder"

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #95
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post

I remember that day - I was getting kind of worried when I checked your SPOT page and saw that you hadn't moved for a while...I could tell from the sat. images that you were in a sandy spot...

Glad to see you were just hanging out and taking pics. Whew!

You're doing a great job of reporting, Sherry!
Love those sunrise and sunset photos.
Thanks and sorry about worrying you. Following my SPOT can be a little confusing at times as you wonder what the heck I'm doing stopping somewhere for so long. Usually I'm out looking for a cache or found something fun to take pictures of. Then there are the times I'm riding back and forth and in circles trying to find a road or campground.

I'm glad you like the sunrises and sunsets because there are more coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertes View Post
What a great trip. It makes me want to get on my bike and go there right now.
Sometimes ride reports do that. I'm glad you are enjoying the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I must say, when I saw you taking photo after photo, I had no idea how important it was to make this ride report as interesting as it is. Great job! You are an Artist on a tablet.
Thank you Barry, it's fun having all the pictures to be able to share with friends, family, and the people here on ADV that are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Great photos as I continue this read. Did the rest of the gang find the Geo Cache's you and I found when we were at Valle Los Gigantes? You were probably just standing back going "warm, warmer...oh getting colder"
They weren't able to find the one we found and I don't remember exactly where it was other than near that huge catus and the sign. I didn't go in that far this time so I wasn't able to do any heckling.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #96
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Day 5 to Gonzaga Bay, Wednesday, 11-20-13

The start of the day would have worked better if hindsight comes first but it doesnít so we did things a little differently than we might have if we would have known a parade was taking place at 9:00 am.

Again we were up for the sunrise. Iím glad some of you are enjoying the sunrises because we took a lot of pictures of those pretty colors. Being on the beach and watching the sun come up in full color is an incredible way to start a day.

Depending on which minute it was and which direction you were looking there was a variety of golds, oranges, pinks and reds. The morning variety is endless and out there for our enjoyment.

Lee got this shot and itís my favorite of the sunrise photos.

Bruceís coffee set up. He has a nifty stove. The nice thing about camping with others is you get to check out their gear.

We decided we would return to San Felipe and Kiki's after going south for a few days. It was a convenient and it is nice being able to have our bikes and gear in a secure place when we go to town. We made reservations for Friday as we heard things get extremely busy in San Felipe on the weekends with the kids coming down from Mexicalli. Packed up we were headed out.

This is where the hindsight comes in. A lady had told us about a parade that would be taking place at noon to celebrate the Mexican Revolution but we didnít really want to stay another day and staying until noon to see the parade was a little too late. We planned to have breakfast at the Rice and Beans where we could park the loaded bikes in front then be on our way.

As we were leaving we discovered the malecon already blocked off for the parade route and a couple other streets too. I got myself a little turned around and thinking I was leading us west looking for a cross street to the hwy but I had us heading north. Bruce saved the day, came around me about the time I was thinking I should turn around, he got us turned around and headed the right direction. Town was a lot busier than it had been the entire time we had been there. To me it seemed odd that things were that busy so soon since it wasnít even 9:00 am yet and the parade wasnít supposed to start until noon.

While we were getting fuel we were across from the parade staging area and it was clear the parade was starting at 9:00 am rather than noon like the lady had told us. If we would have known we could have left our loaded bikes at camp and walked to town for breakfast and to watch the parade. Now with the bikes loaded we didnít want to leave them unattended parked on the street to go watch the parade.

We didnít get to see much of the festivities but we did see a few kids in colorful costumes as well as some of the adults. It would have been nice to be there during the celebration but it didnít work out this time, maybe another time.

We didnít have breakfast and San Felipe was too busy to find a place to eat so we would find something along the way. And we were on our way.

There were a few vultures out. They are ugly birds but cool at the same time and are so Baja. They have a job to do they are the clean up crew.

We were looking for breakfast but thereís not much out here.

I spotted this so I pulled in.

It looks like Prickley Dick likes Cowpatty.

But my riding partners didnít really think Cowpatty looked or sounded like the place for breakfast so we would continue on to see what else we could find. Puertecitos is just down the road and it shows fairly big type on the map so thereís sure to be something there.

The vultures like this place.

At first it didnít look like we would be eating at Puertecitos either.

Boat house? Why did someone put the boat on top of the house?

While the rest of us stayed put Bruce turned into what looked like a housing development type of area. He found someone to ask about a place to eat and found out where to go. This looks good and was opened up for us.

Yes, everyone agrees this looks like a good place to eat.

Not a bad place at all.

Put a bunch of food in front of us and the smiles appear.

Huevos Rancheros

The view from the breakfast table was pretty nice.

Paying for breakfast. It seemed no matter where we were paying for things it was a challenge.

Time to go but letís look around a bit on the way back to the bikes.

Nice little fish pond and pretty flowers.

Checking out the campsites. They look nice.

Another part of Puertecitos, probably a bit more upscale than the section we rode through.

On our way out of town.

Even though they donít have much and the yard is dirt, itís nice and tidy.

Next stop Bahia San Luis Gonzaga (Gonzaga Bay) . . . . .
Old 12-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #97
Rainbow007
Boldly going Nowhere

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Yes Barry she is amazing at putting the ride in words, I knew what she was up to so all those pictures were well worth the time to take. I am so enjoying the RR she has created. This trip is a memory that will stay for a long long time and I got to share it with you
04 CRF230
11 DR650
Rainbow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #98
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,873
Leaving for Baja in 6 days, and these pictures are really making me want to leave today.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #99
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
WOW... WOOH! I can see that I am really late to the party. Sorry and thanks for enlightening me Sherry. I am not really spending a lot of time in ADV as of late, just a quick pop-in and out mostly. My daughter is home for the Holidays from LA so, you know.

Your ride is looking like a great time out with some really cool folks. Brings back some good memories for sure. I can see you guys are all early risers. So you have captured some fantastic early morning sun rises; I too enjoy the occasional early sun-rise but to be quite honest I don't like to get up before the sun much these days. Spent most of my working life rising at 0500 to 0530 hours and heading to work by 0600. To be honest I never enjoyed it. That said, your departures are spot on of 0900.

I must say you've been listening to Loud, Al cause your photography is becoming outstanding. You are indeed capturing the moment.

So, how far is the road now paved down to Gonzaga? OH please tell me you got those bug slippers.

BTW....... almost healed up enough for some riding been a bad year for me, but your RR is a bright spot.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #100
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
Leaving for Baja in 6 days, and these pictures are really making me want to leave today.

Yea I feel you brother. We've not even seen the sun in a week.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #101
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

[QUOTE=Rainbow007;23039148]Yes Barry she is amazing at putting the ride in words, I knew what she was up to so all those pictures were well worth the time to take. I am so enjoying the RR she has created. This trip is a memory that will stay for a long long time and I got to share it with you[/QUOTE

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post

Then I'm doing a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
WOW... WOOH! I can see that I am really late to the party. Sorry and thanks for enlightening me Sherry. I am not really spending a lot of time in ADV as of late, just a quick pop-in and out mostly. My daughter is home for the Holidays from LA so, you know.

Your ride is looking like a great time out with some really cool folks. Brings back some good memories for sure. I can see you guys are all early risers. So you have captured some fantastic early morning sun rises; I too enjoy the occasional early sun-rise but to be quite honest I don't like to get up before the sun much these days. Spent most of my working life rising at 0500 to 0530 hours and heading to work by 0600. To be honest I never enjoyed it. That said, your departures are spot on of 0900.

I must say you've been listening to Loud, Al cause your photography is becoming outstanding. You are indeed capturing the moment.

So, how far is the road now paved down to Gonzaga? OH please tell me you got those bug slippers.

BTW....... almost healed up enough for some riding been a bad year for me, but your RR is a bright spot.

I was wondering where you were. Yes, we were early risers but were going to bed early too so we got plenty of rest while we still got to enjoy the early mornings.

Allan is an amazing photographer and I have picked up a few things from him along the way. One of the biggest things is to pay more attention to what I'm doing and don't pass up great photo opportunities. I'm still working it.

The road is paved to just a few miles from Gonzaga. I'm guessing by next summer that last little bit will be complete.

The bug slippers stayed in San Felipe but I guess I should have bought them. I guess that's just another reason to go back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Yea I feel you brother. We've not even seen the sun in a week.

The ground is white here but the sun has been out today and the sky blue so that's not all bad. Besides a white Christmas for all the little ones out there is the best.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #102
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow007 View Post
Yes Barry she is amazing at putting the ride in words, I knew what she was up to so all those pictures were well worth the time to take. I am so enjoying the RR she has created. This trip is a memory that will stay for a long long time and I got to share it with you:
And I couldn't have asked for anything.more meaningful!

Eat your heart out, Bruce.

Oldtimer screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 03:16 PM
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #103
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
And I couldn't have asked for anything.more meaningful!

Eat your heart out, Bruce.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #104
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Riding South to Bahia San Luis Gonzaga while following the Sea of Cortez is a nice ride with spectacular views of the Sea.

When out there riding this road it feels like you will ride right into that beautiful blue water. Not like a bad type of ride right into it but a good type where you are part of the scenery surrounded by the warmth and beauty.

Becky does a good job with an over the shoulder shot.

Itís one fabulous view after another along this road.

Advertising for a taco stand.

The taco stand.

While in the last post I said Allan had taught me not to pass up great photo opportunities but Iím a slow learner and still working on that one. Along this stretch there are now 3 or 4 very nice, paved, large pull offs for views and I passed them by so we could get to Gonzaga Bay and find where we would be staying and get set up. I figured I could hit them on the way back. Reminder note to self: Donít pass up great photo ops.

At least there were some on the fly photos captured and some times those are the best anyway.

The pavement ended and the fun started shortly before Gonzaga Bay.

We headed for
Alfonsinaís where the road parallels the airstrip and the buildings are colorful.

Nice looking place.

Looks even better with motorcycles.

Hey Barry what are you doing over there alone?

Weíre over here.

We checked out
Alfonsinaís and thought it would be nice to camp on the beach under palapas rather than staying there.

We decided rather than all 5 of us running around looking for a camping spot that Barry and Bruce would go check out camping.

Becky, Lee and I hung out at
Alfonsinaís and let the men do the work of finding a place to stay.

It wasnít long when Bruce and Barry returned. They said there was a campground a couple miles down the bay that might be good. We headed out.

Once we got back out to the main road we went south about a mile or so then headed toward the water on a sandy road. I didnít like it very well and was thinking ohhhhh this isnít going to be fun to come and go on. Sorry, I didnít get any pictures and no one else did either. At about the entrance we stopped and Bruce went in and checked things out. He came back and said it wasnít all that great. We decided to return to
Alfonsinaís and get rooms.

First we stopped to pick up water.

Bruce looks like heís pregnant with a bottle of water stuffed under his jacket.

Froggy is fun.

The floor was even fun.

Back at
Alfonsinaís there was a slab of concrete that looked like a good spot to park motorcycles. Barry pulled up and parked. There was a bit of a lip up onto the concrete so I timidly tip toed onto it from the side, duck walked up and parked behind Barry. Lee came from the other side and was sort of duck walking up as well. Barry and Bruce decided to coach Lee and I with saying (heckling) "you need to connect with your inner Becky. What would Becky do?" Becky then hit the throttle and popped right over the lip and onto the concrete slab. This is one of those stories where you had to be there.

The view from the backside of
Alfonsinaís

The view from the front of
Alfonsinaís

Yep, this will work. We went in and registered for two rooms, one with two beds for the men and one with two beds and a couch for the women.

Barry got comfortable with the view from his room. They were on the second floor.

We were on the ground level and we had to check out our front yard.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #105
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Our room came with a peeping Barry. The nice thing about a peeping Barry is heís as harmless as they come and always right. He told us it was dinner time and since heís always right - - - OK

This young man was a go getter, a hard worker and it is clear he will go places. He was eager to please and wanted us to have everything we wanted. Waitstaff in the U.S. sure donít have the attitude this young man does or the others we met in Baja as far as that goes.

Once again our smiles were there when the food showed up. Do you see a pattern here?

Another beautiful evening with a full moon.