Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #121
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,385
Since I wasnít along at this portion anything I have to say will be guesses so keep that in mind.

Becky and Lee headed south for a ride and some geocaching.

Becky setting up a photo shoot.

It looks like this was the result.

They made their way to Cocoís Corner.

Thereís always interesting things to see at Cocoís.

Coco has a kitty.

Becky found some big girl panties. Sheís been looking for big girl panties for a long time.

Iíve met Coco a couple times and itís always been fun. Heís a character and a Baja legend. I tried to find some history about him and his place in the desert. With bits and pieces I found that he was one time a motorcycle racer and a crop duster. Heís been out there for over 20 years and is in his late 70s. When asked about his nationality he says heís part Mexican, part American and part Alien . He lost both his legs due to complications from diabetes but he does well at getting around, lives out there alone, and takes care of the place.

If you want to camp there you can pitch a tent and he has a few campers he lets people use if they want to stay over. He has water, beer, and soft drinks for sale. Sometimes he has t-shirts available but he was sold out when Becky and Lee were there.

Coco and Lee with big smiles.

Coco chatting with Becky.

Part of Cocoís panty collection.

The latest in rest facilities.

The sitting room. Coco sure does have a sense of humor.

Coco likes the girls, heís a bit of a flirt and a very nice man. Coco has a book he has everyone that visits sign. Iíve signed it a few times so Lee and Becky were looking for where I had signed it. Too bad they couldnít find it but they thought I had been there in the fall last year but I had been there in the spring. Coco was nice and sent a sticker back with Becky and Lee for me. What a sweetie

They found a big geocache.

With lots of stuff in it.

Signing the log.

It has been a year since the last time the cache was found and the log signed.

Becky doing a victory dance or walking like an Egyptian.

Some cool rocks out there.

Lee made her way up those cool rocks. She has a bad hip, how the heck did she do that?

They made their way back to the hotel.

I donít know how this happened but no one got pictures during the evening. We had another terrific dinner there at the hotel and more laughs. Things got real silly when Becky and I talked Lee into letting us do an "inventory" of her tail pack because that sucker was heavy. She was a good sport as we giggle and laughed about all the stuff she had packed in there. Actually she was well prepared and a lot of the stuff went into her lower side bags they were just in her tail pack for the day ride. Lee is new at dual sport riding and we did give her a few ideas (as if we know how to pack light) and Barry popped in and added a few suggestions. Lee had a few cool tools that I might just be adding to my tools. We even had quite the discussion about trail side tire repair and how to break the bead. The tubes for Leeís TW200 are heavy suckers but we all agreed a spare tube was essential because that wouldnít be something easily picked up along the way or borrowed from another rider.

With all that going on we had even more giggles when the AARP thing kicked in and we started counting our little pink pills. OH YES, we are old. The little pink pills were the Pepto-Bismol tablets we had been taking to hopefully keep nasty tummy aliment bugs from attaching to the stomach lining and ruining our vacation. Here are three women announcing how many tablets they had left like an intense poker game. I think Lee had the most and was thinking of selling them to the highest bidder when we ran out.

The next day we would be heading back North. . . . .

Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #122
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Truly a great ride report !!
It is so refreshing to read and see people of "an age" getting out and living life to the fullest. Your report inspires me to try my best to get back in the saddle.
I am fighting a serious arthritis condition and have at the moment sold off all my bikes and am not riding, but hold out hope that I can find a way to deal with this affliction and continue to ride .
I think a smaller bike that I can trailer to a spot then ride for a few days is a great idea.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Doug
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #123
Weevrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
CRF250L luggage

I would be curious to know what kind of bags etc are attached to the CRF250 L and how it's working for your trip. Owning the same bike, I am always looking for ideas on how to outfit mine for such a ride.
Looks like you are all having a great time and are a cohesive group.
Thanks.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #124
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post

Becky found some big girl panties. She’s been looking for big girl panties for a long time.

Red Panty Bar. Nuevo Progreso, TAM.

Really good to see that Coco is still among us. Thanks for sharing!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #125
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,312
Warming up in the bull pen for a Baja run

Good report to read on a Spokane winter day. This report has me "chomping at the bit"....to go !!

Keep it rolling
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #126
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,801
What he said.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #127
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weevrider View Post
I would be curious to know what kind of bags etc are attached to the CRF250 L and how it's working for your trip. Owning the same bike, I am always looking for ideas on how to outfit mine for such a ride.
Looks like you are all having a great time and are a cohesive group.
Thanks.
The tank panniers and tank bag are from Wolfman as is the two E-12 bags just behind where I sit. Those really worked out nice and hold quite a bit with the weight quite low. On the back is a large
Rev-Pack bag called the Excursion pack. The rear rack is the barbecue rack with Roto Pak mount from Manrack. I was very happy with the entire set up and wouldn't change anything.

Oldtimer screwed with this post 12-22-2013 at 06:11 PM
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #128
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
Truly a great ride report !!
It is so refreshing to read and see people of "an age" getting out and living life to the fullest. Your report inspires me to try my best to get back in the saddle.
I am fighting a serious arthritis condition and have at the moment sold off all my bikes and am not riding, but hold out hope that I can find a way to deal with this affliction and continue to ride .
I think a smaller bike that I can trailer to a spot then ride for a few days is a great idea.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Doug

Arthritis is a rough one. I hope you are able to get yourself a small bike and ride again. Small bikes are a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Red Panty Bar. Nuevo Progreso, TAM.

Really good to see that Coco is still among us. Thanks for sharing!
Coco sure is one tough man. I hope continues to be among us for a long long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Good report to read on a Spokane winter day. This report has me "chomping at the bit"....to go !!

Keep it rolling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
What he said.
I'm glad you have your Baja ride to look forward to. Will you be doing a ride report to take up where I will be leaving off in a few days? Are Robin and Sandy going with you this time?

I need to go to work so another installment to this report will have to wait until later this evening.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #129
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
[QUOTE=Ladybug0048

I need to go to work so another installment to this report will have to wait until later this evening. [/QUOTE]

What? Work? Hurry back! I'm anxious to read about all the fun I had.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #130
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,694

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #131
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
The tank panniers and tank bag are from Wolfman as is the two E-12 bags just behind where I sit. Those really worked out nice and hold quite a bit with the weight quite low. On the back is a large
Rev-Pack bag called the Excursion pack. The rear rack is the barbecue rack with Roto Pak mount from Manrack. I was very happy with the entire set up and wouldn't change anything.
I'm thinking about getting the Rotopax 1 gallon, already have the barbecue Manrack. About how much does the mount stick out above the flat part of the tank? I suppose it just makes a dent in the bottom of the Rev-Pak, which is soft.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #132
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
It sure looks like you had a good time down there.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #133
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
What? Work? Hurry back! I'm anxious to read about all the fun I had.
That danged work gets in the way of fun every time but without it there's no fun. Now on to tell you how much fun you had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Did you save any popcorn for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I'm thinking about getting the Rotopax 1 gallon, already have the barbecue Manrack. About how much does the mount stick out above the flat part of the tank? I suppose it just makes a dent in the bottom of the Rev-Pak, which is soft.
I'll let Barry answer this. It'll give him something to do beside heckling me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
It sure looks like you had a good time down there.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
It sure is. Will you be at the Desert 100 this year? If you are be sure to take it easy on me and don't use me as a speed bump.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #134
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Day 7 back to San Felipe, Friday, 11-22-13

At 4:00 am I heard water dripping and thought that was an odd sound. I got up and opened the door to find it was raining hard. This is Baja, it doesnít rain in Baja: Rain-temp chart. Because I wanted to share I woke up Becky and Lee to tell them it was raining. Iím sure they appreciated it.

When I packed my things to send to San Diego in the truck with Bruce I didnít put my rain gear in the bags since I didnít figure I would need it. A few days before we left Spokane it had been cold and rainy and I reconsidered not having rain gear along and put it in my carry on bag I was taking on the plane. As I was listening to the rain outside I was glad I brought the rain gear after all.

The morning light was much different than it had been the other days. No colorful sunrise for us this morning.

But there were colorful fishermen out there.

The pelicans didnít seem to care that it was raining and the pretty sunrise wasnít out.

Someone had been driving on the beach.

This is what the outside of the rooms where we were staying looked like.

This is where their employees live.

We had originally planned to eat breakfast at the same place we did the day before, up the road. With it raining we decided weíd eat at the hotel instead. We must have been getting tired of food picture because I didnít end up with breakfast pictures either.

Over breakfast we planned and re-planned. We figured we could stay another day and not have to ride in the rain then ride to Mexacalli the next day instead of to San Felipe as we originally planned. Bruce wasnít involved in the conversation and none of us were set on any plan one way or the other so Barry went to see what Bruce thought.

A short while later Barry came back and said Bruce would be ready to roll at 11:00 am or was it noon? At any rate that was fine with us and we would ride to San Felipe. We had a reservation there for camp so what the heck. It wasn't that long of a ride and riding in the rain is something we have all done many times.

As we were getting packed and ready I found Becky doing her nails. She was being such a girl (itís normally me thatís being girly so I had to get a picture of Becky doing it).

The bikes packed and ready to go.

We headed out and even though it was raining it wasnít cold so it wasnít bad. The road was OK until we hit a clay section. At first it felt fine, not slipper and I though oh OK this isnít so bad. Then about the time I got to the top of a hill I could feel the tires were now filled with ucky, slimy, sticky clay. I knew it was only a short section but I didnít want to fall down and I certainly didnít want to fall down in this slime. I slowly duck walked down the hill and was thrilled to see the pavement and bridge crossing ahead. Barry was waiting for me there, he had gone down the hill closer to the edge of the road in the hopes of more traction.

As I was duck walking my feet got heavier and heavier and they packed with mud. My boots got a little muddy. This was after I kicked the mud off.

The Superbug had a little mud in itís tires but it could have been a lot worse.

Bruce, Lee, & Becky were behind us a ways. It was just a few minutes and Bruce joined us.

A few minutes after that Lee and Becky arrived. I asked how they did coming down the hill. It turned out a construction worked directed Becky and Lee down a different road that took them around the clay slime.

Looks like fun doesnít it?

Remember back two days ago when I passed all those nice viewpoints figuring we would stop on the way back? Well, apparently I havenít learned the lessons about not passing up nice photo ops. The view were much better on our ride down than they were on our ride back.

Regrouping at one of the view-points.

Things were so gray I didnít even try to take pictures of the view.

A little patch of blue sky ahead. This could be a good sign.

Letís try this view-point.

At least we can see the water this time.

Iím still kicking myself for not stopping on the way down but I didnít expect it to cloud up and rain. Itís Baja.

At least it's not raining and the road is dry but those clouds look threatning.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #135
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post

Barry sent me a picture and asked me to post it for you. (He's not set up with smugmug)

It's about 1/4 "