User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
990 Rox Riser Questions

I've read through all of the threads I can find about Rox Risers and the most prevalent criticism is that they slip if banged or dropped. When people say "slip" are they referring to pitch or yaw? Is this a unique problem when mated with the Renthal KTM Bend that come with the 990? Don't all bars slip in the stock bar clamp if hit hard enough? If my bars do get tweaked from a big off can't I use the tools I carry and a few minutes of my time to straighten them out?

I've looked into Dirtnblood. Looks like a great product but no service and no availability. Not an ideal retail model. Someone like Black Dog should pick these up.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
desert sky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
The only issue I had with the Rox system was that it is a bit too wide once installed. Accordingly it didn't quite fit the standard handlebar bend and it wasn't compatible with the Highwaydirtbike handlebar guard system without some work. However it did not slip nor at anytime feel insecure. ds
desert sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Zander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I originally installed rox riser on my 950. It is a really great product but I could not set it up to my liking.

I changed for Rally Connex Riser (short version) and installed a Pro Taper Carmichael and HDB handguard. Really happy with this set up.

http://www.rallyconnex.com/risers.html
Old 12-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Another viewpoint

Best mod I made to my 990. Love them. Got the 2 inch. I was able to adjust the bars for perfect fitment on and off road. I can stand and blast comfortably on any surface for long periods. In fact on long paved stretches like the slab I will ride standing to relieve stiffness.

Ted
tedmarshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Does anyone have experience crashing the Rox or the Rally Riser?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,548
I had Rox on my last 950 Adv. I crashed the shit out of that thing and never once had the risers move. And yes, if they did you could easily straighten them on thee trail in a couple of minutes.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
I had Rox on my last 950 Adv. I crashed the shit out of that thing and never once had the risers move. And yes, if they did you could easily straighten them on thee trail in a couple of minutes.
Awesome. Any cable length issues when installing them and did the stock renthal "ktm bend" bars fit the risers?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 601
2" Rox riser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmarshall View Post
Best mod I made to my 990. Love them. Got the 2 inch. I was able to adjust the bars for perfect fitment on and off road. I can stand and blast comfortably on any surface for long periods. In fact on long paved stretches like the slab I will ride standing to relieve stiffness.

Ted
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Town View Post
Does anyone have experience crashing the Rox or the Rally Riser?
Looped it right onto the bars: didn't budge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Town View Post
Awesome. Any cable length issues when installing them and did the stock renthal "ktm bend" bars fit the risers?
I only had to roll the throttle cable position 180deg from the top to the bottom, under the kill switch pod.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just looking at my bike and playing with the cables...the front break line seems like it's going to be too short.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Personally I would support Rox stuff just because it was a small company started by your average guy. I used to know the man himself many years ago. Just a regular guy up in North Minnesota making parts to make the toys he liked better.

Sorry, it doesn't answer your question, but I like to support the company when I can.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 601
My front brake line is a bit tight but not enough to worry me.

Also, you'll notice in this old thread about risers there are some pics of flipped throttle cable guides.

The cable guides hit the bottom of kill switch pod preventing a nice tight fit like stock. I don't like the gap that creates so I shaved the bottom of the pod to accomodate the throttle cable guides.

HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
They are a great product so the below is my findings and not meant to slate them..

Had them on the 950se. Unless they were forward the fixings were a bit tight so moved the levers down the bars to give. Ore room. I wouldn't say they were the best fit a bit wide in places leaving a gap butt they did crash ok and didn't move, apart from once but anything would have... They were the inch and half ones meant for the bike.

So why had them? Well the idea is great but when you offset from the forks the handling was utter rubbish, there is a very good reason why bars are inline with the fork stantions. Also once adjusted that's it, you don't really move them again. So I sold them on and put the ktm specific risers on which is enough rise but the handling improved dramatically..

So have a think if you really really need them over the standard risers.

Hope that helps.

950superenduro.com For those who own the best bike!
wilso122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 629
I'll echo most of the above:
  • Love them as they've helped the ride comfort while standing
  • They have never moved after a crash (which has happened more than once)
  • I did NOT have any cable length issues (see below)
  • They fit with my Cycra Hand Guards and stock bars without any fittment issues
I opted for the 1.75" risers rather than the 2" version. Here's a photo (but before I changed out the stock hand guards)...

Good luck with your choice.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 10:43 AM
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,531
I don't like them at all. I've tried to 2" risers on my dirtbike and they tweaked every time I went down. Very frustrating.

I solved to problem by simply using ProTaper Raptor bend bars. They will have give you the same rise with a much better (OEM) connection to the triples. I now have the Raptor bend bars on both my dirtbike and my 990 Adv and I just love them.

I did not need new cables.

Oh, and the new Protaper bars are cheaper than the Rox Risers.

Here's a picture of my setup.

akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Mesjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
I don't like them at all. I've tried to 2" risers on my dirtbike and they tweaked every time I went down. Very frustrating.

I solved to problem by simply using ProTaper Raptor bend bars. They will have give you the same rise with a much better (OEM) connection to the triples. I now have the Raptor bend bars on both my dirtbike and my 990 Adv and I just love them.

I did not need new cables.

Oh, and the new Protaper bars are cheaper than the Rox Risers.

Here's a picture of my setup.

This sounds like a better option but ill have to see how hard it's going to be to get my heated grips off .
Mesjr is offline   Reply With Quote