User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,157
KTM Adv - Superduke fork morph question

Howdy Everyone, I have a bike going on over in "some assembly required" Where I'm building a supercharged 990 motard using a 950S and a Super Duke as donor bikes http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936583 I'm having some problems with forks and thought I'd ask over here where all the Orange action is

I've modified the old 950 frame and fitted the 950 swingarm and in doing so now have a bit too radical a rake on the forks (about 20 degrees) but thats ok as I still need to lift the front. That measurement is taken using the SD forks. Using the adv forks I'm getting better rake - maybe too much actually, but then due to the forward axle on the Adv forks I end up with hardly any trail...not good either way, but if I can morph the two then I should be good.

I want to keep the brakes and wheel of the SD, and can accept its suspension travel if I must. What i need though is about 2 moore inches of fork length. I've been told by a suspension guru that on SD forks I can expect 3/4 lift at best. The adv fork bodies are longer than the SD's, so I'm wondering if I can fit the SD tubes in the bodies? The issue I can see is space between the bushings in the adv forks being too far apart compared to the SD ones. The other option I'm wondering about is whether I can take the axle mounts off the base of the SD forks and fit them to the adv forks? Seems the simplest option to me, but dunno if you actually can?

So I'm hoping to get some advice from the collective before i start pulling stuff apart and probably wrecking things. I guess the other option is to get some supermoto forks, they'd work well, but then I have to get the different brake calipers etc.....it just never ends eh?

Cheers
Old 12-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
The lower fork clamp can be removed, from sakuramas AWD build:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...kurama&page=47

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
The fork stubs screw off the lower fork tubes. Use heat to loosen before taking apart, blue Loctite (nut lock)when you assemble.

Some people put the stub in a vice and use a round rod through the holes in the top of the lower tube to unscrew.
I have a split 48mm dia alloy block I use to clamp the tube while I unscrew the stub with an axle.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,712
It is really a bitch to the the lowers off. KTM uses something like green loctite. You need a LOT of heat to melt it. I'd guess 200 deg F. You turn it while hot.

But, look to the mechanism for the rebound adjuster. You may have to modify it to make it work. The Adv screw is up the bottom, the SD is out the side. You'd use the Adv needle and the SD mechanism. Unknown.

I'd look at all the parts catalogs for the SD, Adv and SM to solve it.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Ah crap Zuber yer dead right. Forgot about that!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,521
Or SM forks.....
Old 12-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Or SM forks.....
Er yeah Pete know anyone with a spare set for sale LOL. I'll send you a pm in a sec. Cheers