User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2005, 08:09 AM   #1
XPADREX OP
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,891
Tire Talk

When I picked up my used 2003 R1150GS, it had (and has) a set of Continental dual-sport type tires.

The previous owner had had them installed at about 4999 miles. It's currently got about 6900 miles on it... ...and the rear tire is about history (by my standards).

Now, that means that realistically I could probably get about 1,000 - 2,000 miles out of it- and I DO run high tire pressure- but damn! Is this normal? This is my first longer-term run with such tires... I've been mostly street.

I'm mostly on the freeway or surface streets, so I'm thinking of going with Tourances- I had about 7,500 miles on my Capo shod with Tourances, with plenty left to go when I sold it.

Is the trade off ALWAYS dual-sport grip for low mileage?

There are times I'm considering a second set of wheels shod with exclusive dual-sport tires as a good idea, for those times I might take the GS into softer terrain.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
meletis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
unfortunately "dual" tires are basically off road tires with tarmac capabilities.
Tourance and all that species are also called dual tires but basically road with some off road capabilities.
if you are off roading seriously and for long distances you need 2 sets of rubber.
if you go off road occasionally no need, Tourance is great (be careful with the throttle).
by the way duals like TKC80 Continental are functioning better with lower pressure (1.6 - 1.8 bar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
When I picked up my used 2003 R1150GS, it had (and has) a set of Continental dual-sport type tires.

The previous owner had had them installed at about 4999 miles. It's currently got about 6900 miles on it... ...and the rear tire is about history (by my standards).

Now, that means that realistically I could probably get about 1,000 - 2,000 miles out of it- and I DO run high tire pressure- but damn! Is this normal? This is my first longer-term run with such tires... I've been mostly street.

I'm mostly on the freeway or surface streets, so I'm thinking of going with Tourances- I had about 7,500 miles on my Capo shod with Tourances, with plenty left to go when I sold it.

There are times I'm considering a second set of wheels shod with exclusive dual-sport tires as a good idea, for those times I might take the GS into softer terrain.
meletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
Odin
Adv rider

Oddometer: 109
There is a thread on the TKC's here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93811
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
XPADREX OP
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,891
I just found this thread to be really helpful:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=scorpion+mt90

IT's convinced me that I'll be getting a new pair of Tourances.

I liked 'em on the Capo- I think I'll love 'em on the GS.

XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 830
no more Tourance

I have been a Tourance user for a long period but have been a victim of the famous "Shimmy" effect. Metzeler (the manufacturer) now belongs to Pirelli and since then what can be said is that the quality of the product is not steady. Just make a search with "tourance" and "shimmy" and you will find many guys complaining with those Tourance. My next set will be Anakee (Michelin).

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
Zane
n00b

Oddometer: 47
I've run tourances for 37k. Consistantly get 12k rear, 15k front. They do everything I want a tire to do on a gs. I run knobbies on the klr but it does a different job.

imho
john
Old 09-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
Stand Up
Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer: 360
Hr vs VR Tourance

I'm looking at mail-ordering Tourances. There's a choice:

150/70VR-17 $122 VR - higher speed rating, stickier, wears out faster?
150/70HR-17 $117 HR - mid speed rating, less sticky, more wear?

Does HR VR in the bike world mean the same as the car world?

Standup
Stand Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
dwestmodesto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Tire Talk

I put my first TKC80 knobbies on my GS for the Rawhyde Death Vally ride last spring. I wore out the rear tire with about 9000 miles on it by the end of July. The front tire is still on and has about 10,000 miles on it. It is shot now and needs to be changed this weekend. The tires lasted through 7700 miles heavily loaded through Mexico.
hasta,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX

dwestmodesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:35 AM   #9
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand Up
I'm looking at mail-ordering Tourances. There's a choice:

150/70VR-17 $122 VR - higher speed rating, stickier, wears out faster?
150/70HR-17 $117 HR - mid speed rating, less sticky, more wear?

Does HR VR in the bike world mean the same as the car world?

Standup
In my limited experience, the V-rated Tourances I've had stick very well, but I have only got 6000 mi. out of a rear. Most of the paved roads I ride are chip-sealed, though, and I can see how that would accelerate tire wear. Otherwise a great tire. Oh yeah-- the speed ratings are the same as in the automotive world.
- Chris

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure

Nailhead screwed with this post 09-02-2005 at 07:42 AM
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote