Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Falang OP
Singapore

Oddometer: 107
Cambodia, Laos, Thailand - 9900 km, 7 Weeks

Cambodia, Laos, Thailand - 9900 km, 7 Weeks

Here are some photos and tips from my seven-week 9900 km counterclockwise ride from Singapore around Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos during February and April 2012. During March the bike was laid up in Bangkok for clutch repair.

The bike is a mature BMW 1998 R1100R with 140,000 km on the odometer. It brought me to Thailand half a dozen times but this was my longest single trip on it. (Vancouver-Newfoundland at 18,000 km and Vancouver-Guatemala at 16,000 km in the 1980s on an R75 went much farther but in less time).

This trip I set goals to (1) finish each day's riding by early afternoon and (2) rest one day after at most every two riding days. In this way I avoided riding in the sweltering heat of the tropical afternoon; I could eat lunch in a clean restaurant most days (I never got sick, except at a Chiang Mai sushi bar where I overdosed on soy sauce MSG); and if anything went wrong I would have hours of daylight in which to resolve the problem. I averaged 400 km per riding day, about half that of previous trips, and 200 km per total trip day, about one-third that of previous trips. There was time for scuba diving and a visit to Ankor Wat with my wife who flew up from Singapore.

The Itinerary

The journey (in hotel nights per city) was:
1 Hat Yai (JB Hotel 07.01328,100.47644)
2 Koh Samui (Palm Island Hotel 09.53523,100.06902)
2 Hua Hin (Veranda Lodge 12.56018,99.96274)
1 Pattaya (Pattaya Center Hotel 12.93173,100.87968
1 Koh Kong (Dugout Hotel 11.61014,102.98288)
3 Sihanoukville (Coolabah Hotel 10.609087,103.522571)
4 Phnom Penh (Billabong Hotel 11.56612,104.92054)
6 Siem Reap (Hanumanalaya Residence 13.374629,103.8623)
1 Surin (Majestic Hotel 14.88974,103.49707)
2 Khon Kaen (Pullman Hotel 16.429453,102.830347)
1 Nakhon Phanom (Riverview Hotel 17.382545,104.793933
1 Bueng Kan (The One Hotel 18.35849,103.64796)
3 Bangkok (Mac Boutique 13.74182,100.55319)
1 Udon Thani (Grand Royal Hotel 17.410076,102.790017)
2 Vientiane (Sengtawan Riverside 17.967023,102.59343)
1 Vang Vieng (Riverside Bungalows 18.920902,102.444913)
1 Phonsavan (Nice Guest House 19.45021,103.21890)
2 Luang Prabang (Hotel de Lyon 19.87967,102.14267)
1 Luang Namtha (Zuela Guesthouse 21.00285,101.40903)
1 Chiang Rai (Starbright Hotel 19.90546, 99.83268)
5 Chiang Mai (Dusit D2 18.78635,99.00002)
1 Phitsanulok (Pailyn Hotel 16.818488,100.261885)
1 Kanchanaburi (Royal River Kwai 14.055749,99.457321)
1 Hua Hin (Veranda Lodge 12.56018,99.96274)
1 Surat Thani (The One Hotel 9.14073,99.333253
1 Hat Yai (JB Hotel 07.01328,100.47644)
47 Hotel Nights
26 Riding Days

The Route

Counterclockwise (not including Malaysia):

The Bangkok-Bueng Kan leg (south in a pickup truck then north on the bike) was the unexpected result of the clutch failure.

Koh Samui

For Singaporean riders, most rides to Thailand begin and end with the one-day 900km dawn-to-dusk North-South Expressway run between the cities of Singapore and Hat Yai through the length of peninsular Malaysia - as boring as spending a day on Interstate 5 or 95 in the USA but without much speed enforcement. It is a toll road but two-wheelers go free and fuel is subsidized - it's nirvana for superbike riders except for the heavy traffic. The speed limit is 120 km/h but it doesn't matter how fast you go, you will be passed by someone faster while you keep your eyes peeled for (rare but present) wheel-shattering detritus lying on the road ahead. The black BMWs hurtling by at over 200 km/h with their headlights flashing are almost as scary as the made-in-Malaysia Proton Wajas rattling past at 160 with no lights at all - and the smoking trucks you swerve around that are only making 60. The ride is so intense I do it in five evenly-spaced stops (Pagoh, Dengkil, Tapah, Semmangul, and Gurun) with lots of water in and out and a light snack at each stop but no meal, to avoid after-lunch drowsiness.

The first night was in Hat Yai, as usual, with a satisfying and inexpensive dinner at the Swan Pub (7.004515, 100.472479). The JB Hotel is a cheap and tired hotel but with secured parking and a safe but walkable 1.5km distance from the preferred terrorist bombing targets downtown. Beautiful downtown Hat Yai, as seen from the hotel:

In the morning it is another half a day's ride to the Koh Samui ferry terminal at Don Sak (9.32800,99.7433) where a relaxing 90 minute voyage into the Gulf of Thailand awaits:

Marlboro Monk:

The tourist and diving facilities on Samui are good:

And so is the diving - there nothing like a day on the boat to relax after a day on the bike:

Hua Hin

After Samui, a visit to Hua Hin to see an 72-years young expat I met by chance in Starbucks. Look at the three-bedroom house $250,000 buys a Thai wife (foreigners cannot own houses) in a gated Hua Hin community:

That's him and his Thai wife at the barbeque.

The nearby Veranda hotel where I stayed is not bad either - that's the sea on the other side of the hotel:

Crossing Bangkok

Motorcycles are not permitted on Thai toll roads, nor are they allowed to ride in the inside lane on an expressway. The latter rule is rarely enforced, but the former certainly is: during my first trip to Thailand I was turned away at the Bangkok expressway tollbooth, to the cacophony of much angry honking as I tried to go backwards, trapped in a sea of bumper-to-bumper cars.

Navigating across Bangkok is a problem. The Garmin Southeast Asia GPS map does not know where motorcycles can and cannot go, and setting it to "Avoid Toll Roads" will not lead it to the Phra Pradaeng motorcycle ferry; neither will Google Maps route there (at time of writing). Here is one way to cross Bangkok on a motorcycle between Highway 35 from Hua Hin on the west and Highway 3 to Pattaya on the east, discovered through trial and error:

West side:

A) 13.68055,100.47108: Hwy 35 (Rama II Rd) to Hwy 303 (Suk Sawat Rd)
B) 13.65897,100.51898: Junction Hwy 303 to Hwy 3104 (Nakhon Kuan Rd)
C) 13.65713,100.53403: Motorcycle Ferry West Bank

East side:

A) 13.65639,100.53906: Motorcycle Ferry East Bank
B) 13.64265,100.59425: Junction Hwy 3113 (Phuchao Saming Phray) to Hwy 3
C) 13.52378,100.64507: Hwy 3 (Sukhumvit Rd)

And what it looks like on the ground, crossing the Chao Phraya river by ferry, surrounded by scooters and mangoes, halfway between Hua Hin and Pattaya:

Meanwhile the cars are sailing by up there on those modern bridges in the background ....

Pattaya

There was no safe in the Pattaya hotel room so I went to stash some spare cash and cards under the huge, heavy old CRT-type TV before going out for a walk, but under the TV set I found a small and dusty plastic packet of creamy-white powder! In less than a second I flushed the mystery drug down the toilet.

Highway to Koh Kong

The border at Khlong Yai, Thai side:

And the border at the Cambodia side (Cham Yeam), with a much longer line up:

I had to ride from the Cambodia side back to the Thai side and back again because the border crossing where I entered Thailand (Sadao) provides only one computer-generated form, the Customs Declaration form, while the Immigration at the Cambodia side at the Khlong Yai border expects two other documents, the TM2 Information of Conveyance and the TM3 Passenger List, with Thai stamps on them. It was easy to get these from the Thai officials at Khlong Yai when exiting the Thai side, but I didn't know I would need them so I had cross back to Thailand back to get them ... under the hot sun. Although Cambodia Immigration wanted these forms, Cambodia Customs didn't care! The Cambodia customs official asked me for the papers for the bike. I showed my original Singapore document to him. He asked me for a photocopy. I said I didn't have one. He said not to worry about it in that case, and to have a pleasant trip! So I entered Cambodia without any motorcycle import papers of any kind, and had no problems leaving the country without papers either. Total border crossing time was about an hour.

Highway from Khlong Yai to Koh Kong:

Koh Kong

The Dugout Hotel in Koh Kong:

I asked the owner (an Aussie) why the hotel is called the Dugout. He said originally there were two partners who owned the hotel. One of them was named Doug. He was so difficult to deal with that when the second partner bought him out, he renamed the hotel the Dugout because at last Doug was out!

Notional safety in the Dugout Hotel:

Water-cooled tuk-tuk. Note the white plastic water tank in front of trailer:

The town must be spoiled for choice from satellite channels:

The only impressive building in town is the Koh Kong Tax Branch building:

Cambodia has wonderful people but a serious littering problem:

Koh Kong town, my first taste of Cambodia:

Highway to Sihanoukville

Slow down going around blind curves:

Traders buy retail petrol at stations like these and sell it in small quantities at high markups (often out of booze bottles) along the way:

Enjoy the ride:

Sihanoukville

Beggars with missing arms and legs (blown off by UXO) are common in Cambodia:

Clinic wide open to the sidewalk - good ventilation, but imagine lying there on display:

This character was very friendly to passers-by:

Tire repair shop - where to go if you need air, since petrol stations rarely have a functioning air supply:

Padded panties!

Diving in Sihanoukville:

Around Sihanoukville, which I found a agreeable town for a visit:

Police Post:

Highway from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh

Falang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Falang OP
Singapore

Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh traffic:

Close-up of water-cooled Honda:

Most of the tuktuks are pulled by these Honda Dreams, to which a water tank and an intravenous drip are added. About two drops per second drip onto the cylinder head to cool it. I have yet to see this ingenious engine-saving device in any other country:

You can buy nearly anything on the sidewalks of Phnom Penh:

National Museum:

Eye and lung protection - but pity the spine:

Wat Ounalom:

Yum - snout!

Russian Market:

Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum:

The Killing Fields at Choeung Ek:

Happiness Pizza:

The diner below looks like he had too much happy in his pizza:

Around Phnom Penh:

Highway from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Mostly good road, but continual random hazards:

School's out:

Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat:

Ta Phrom:

Banteay Srey:

Banteay Samre:

Bayon:

Preah Khan:

Siem Reap

But just outside the tourist area:

Highway from Siem Reap to O Smach

The speed limit seems a little low for the driving conditions:

The bike was an attention-getter:

One man asked me what the bike cost. When I told him about US$5,000, he exclaimed, "You can by a tuk-tuk for that!"

O Smach order crossing back to Thailand. Almost no traffic on this route. Efficient, quick, and friendly on both sides. Total border crossing time about 20 minutes. Cambodia side:

Thailand side:

The King's choice: Canon G9. These photos were taken with the same camera (G11):

Surin

The elephants' graveyard for expats:

I love you so much, teeruk:

Highway from Surin to Khon Kaen

It would be tempting to roll on the throttle, but you can't see what lies beyond the dips:

Hazards like this:

Khon Kaen

The Pullman, formerly the Sofitel. My hotels cost from $10 to $150, this one being at the higher end.

A bar in Khon Kaen next to the shopping mall. What a great concept!

Khon Kaen is also a popular expat retirement destination:

Nakhon Phanom

Nakhon Phanom seemed a clean and cheerful place, with some good hotels along the Mekong River, not to mention many joggers:

Breakdown at Bueng Kan

The clutch broke, fortunately on the Thai side of the Mekong, just 4 km before the ferry and 1 km from the town of Bueng Kan. I coasted to a stop on the highway:

At first I thought it was the clutch cable, and I had a spare cable with me. Then I saw this piece lying on the ground:

At first I thought it would be an easy part to replace; I'd just have to wait in Bueng Kan while I had the part FedExed to me, then I'd install it myself.

So I rode the clutchless bike (not easy!) to a brand new hotel in Bueng Kan and checked in:

From my room I did some internet research to determine the part number, and called the dealers in Singapore and Bangkok. I learned that the part was not available in Thailand or Singapore and would take 7-10 days to arrive at a dealer. The dealer in Bangkok said that this was only the second time in fifteen years that they had ordered this part.

It also turned out that replacement of the part requires the swingarm and shaft drive to be pulled back several inches, which requires a workshop, a large socket wrench, a heat gun, and a torque wrench; I walked around the town and could not find these in Bueng Kan. The part is obscured by the drive train and ordinary tools cannot even reach it. Prior to 1994, replacement of this part (nearly identical on all boxers for over thirty years) could be done with the tools in the tool kit in five minutes; after 2000 the part was eliminated when BMW introduced a hydraulic clutch. Just my luck that this is a 1998 bike!

The nearest airport to Bueng Kan is in Udon Thani, 200km distant. So the safest and cheapest solution was to hire a truck (S$800) to take the bike and me to Bangkok, leave the bike there, and fly home (S$70) until it was ready. The staff at the hotel found a truck for me for the following morning, and were very helpful. The drive to Bangkok took twelve hours, and by evening my driver was popping pills to stay alert. My GPS, with the Bangkok BMW dealer's coordinates pre-loaded, was essential to guide the driver once we reached the periphery of Bangkok as she did not know Bangkok at all. My driver, who is 60, drove skillfully, and spoke only Thai and Isaan/Lao:

The front seat was not very comfortable:

Lunch with my driver and her son on the way - duck tongues! They are eaten like escargot - just pull the beak open, drag out the tongue with great force, and chew it like a block of rubber. I didn't try one! I ate rice:

This three-wheeled motorcycle is ridden while looking out the hole in the front. Note the driver grooming himself in the rear-view mirror:

Udon Thani

The bike repair took less than two weeks and I resumed the ride from Bangkok a month later, staying overnight in Bangkok and Udon Thani. The hotel is on the right:

Bueng Kan/Pakxan

The Thai side of the Mekong. Based on previous experience (my fuel pump burned out near Chiang Mai a few years ago and I had to leave the bike behind for a month) I assumed that I'd have to pay a penalty for failing to export the bike within the required time frame, but the customs man didn't care and I was through the Thai side of the border quickly. Like at O Smach, there was hardly any traffic at this crossing (18.395384,103.615775) and the staff were efficient and friendly:

The ferry to Pakxan:

It took some clutch smoking to ride the bike from the muddy downward slope up and onto the ferry ramp, as you can see from the truck doing it. The R1100R has only a 17 inch front wheel; it would have been much easier on a BMW GS model with its 19 inch front wheel:

Pakxan border crossing, Lao side:

Even though I already had a visa (from Singapore) I had to wait one hour while the staff ate lunch before I could be processed. Then the woman worked hard to generate the import paper for the motorcycle. Total border crossing time, including waiting for the ferry: About four hours:

Meanwhile her colleagues did nothing; in the room next door the man is playing a computer game and the other woman is watching TV:

Highway From Pakxan to Vientiane

Vientiane

My hotel (Sengtawan Riverside) on the left, with underground parking:

The People's Security Museum, into which people are not permitted, perhaps for security reasons. It is closed to the public:

One of countless wats in Vientiane:

Nothing moves quickly in Laos:

The lively night market:

Everyone is a millionaire in Laos:

Old 12-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Falang OP
Singapore

I'm not a foodie (three clean "nourishment intervals" a day are all I need), but I enjoyed the food in this Frenchman's (the man on the left below) Alsace restaurant:

This was the first course of a three-course meal costing just a few dollars:

Highway from Vientiane to Vang Vieng

Note the Tiger Beer advertisement sponsoring the highway sign:

Watch out for the dips where the pavement ends, sometimes every few hundred meters. Just when you think the going is good, you have to hit the brakes:

Lao are a generally cheerful and friendly folk:

Vang Vieng

Vang Vieng is so given to tourism it's as though a resort corporation bought the town, added hippie theme park decoration, vendor kiosks, bars, and restaurants all offering the same low-end products and services; evicted all the villagers; and hired them all back as shopkeepers, waitresses, and masseuses to serve all the backpackers. I'll be back!

Beerlao seems to have a monopoly on signage:

Appetizers on the menu:

Highway from Vang Vieng to Phonsavan

Morning rush hour:

The road to the viewpoint:

The viewpoint at 1500m. At last, cool temperature!

These ladies thought I must be a dashing hero for riding alone from Singapore on a motorcycle. They took turns taking their photo next to me. I felt like Goofy at Disneyland, or Brian in "The Life of Brian."

But these children were less than impressed:

That's the road down there:

With some of it stuck here:

Phonsavan

The Nice Hotel, with motorcycle parked behind the gate:

The rooms are nice enough for one night:

Plain of Jars, outside:

... and inside:

Highway from Phonsavan to Luang Prabang

Highway 7 and parts of Highway 13 are at least as good a ride as the Mae Hong Son loop in north Thailand, and more scenic:

This shot was taken at 19.533507,103.096435

Every home has its satellite dish:

This was the only rain during the seven weeks, about 15 minutes of it:

Flat tire, quickly patched with the "Stop & Go" tire plugger:

Luang Prabang

Public market:

Nearly a week to go to Songkran, and already the water madness is starting:

A classic Citroen and Mercedes in a classic town:

Highway from Luang Prabang to Luang Namtha

The 70 km from Muang Xai to Ban Ai One was mostly a rocky dirt road because most of the pavement had washed away. It took several hours to cover that distance in first and second gear. After Ban Ai One, the pavement was absolutely perfect - even with a nicely painted dotted line, the first I'd seen in days.

Pigs were common and dangerous (if hit) road hazards:

But even the pigs wouldn't touch these red-hot chillies:

I turned around at the Chinese border:

An all-too-common scene:

All the "road kill" I saw on the trip was in Laos. I found Lao drivers courteous and unaggressive, but they must have a drinking or fatigue problem to go off road so often.

Luang Namtha

The Zuela Guesthouse was good value and otherwise clean...

... but the sheet was yellow on one side and white on the other and those wrinkles were there before I sat on the bed.

Boys practicing their aim for Songkran:

This Unimog was on a journey!

Luang Namtha to Houei Xai

I'm going to miss these highways:

Houei Xai

Waiting for the ferry. Thailand is on the other side of the Mekong:

Climb the stairs to the Temple of Customs to do the paperwork ... that really is customs up there.

The rear wheels of the truck dropped into the gap between the road and the ferry gate, causing bags of cement to slide off the back of the truck. Another half hour sitting under the hot sun as this was resolved. The truck barely made it off the ferry. Total border crossing time, including waiting for the ferry: four and a half hours:

Chiang Mai

Highway near Chiang Mai:

Doi Suthep, looking down on Chiang Mai:

It was Songkran (Thai New Year) - time to park the bike for safety's sake:

After a night in Chiang Rai and five in Chiang Mai getting my tire replaced and waiting for Songkran to end, I continued south.

Phitsanulok

The temperature between Chiang Mai and Phitsanulok was nearly 40 degrees C (104 F). I stopped every hour, drank a liter of water, and poured more water into my mesh riding suit to get a few minutes of coolness.

Highway From Phitsanulok to Kanchanaburi

The Garmin Southeast Asia map thinks this is a secondary highway:

I thought I'd try a shortcut through Phutoei National Park:

But the road turned to a traffic-free track which got narrower and darker while the gumbo got deeper. 40 km more of this at 5 km/h with only a couple of liters of water on hand did not seem like a smart idea:

So I turned around and went the (slightly) longer way.

That's better!

Kanchanaburi

The River Kwai:

The (replacement) bridge over the river Kwai:

The war cemetery, where 7,000 POWs rest, mostly Australian, Dutch, and British.

The resort - $50 off-season:

Surat Thani to Hat Yai

Rubber plantation just south of Surat Thani:

All-purpose adjustment tools - some of them would be illegal to import to Singapore:

And after a night in Hat Yai, the dawn-to-dusk freeway slog back to Singapore, snacking like a horse:

Other than clutch failure and a flat tire, I encountered no problems. The fuel reserve light never came on, the bike didn't fall over, and neither did I. I was never stopped by police nor marked for bribes at border crossings.

Tips

I used the Garmin map for Thailand and the GT Rider map for Laos. For Cambodia I plotted routes at home on Google Maps and converted the routes to Garmin tracks (GPX files), which could then be followed using my Garmin Oregon. This worked well but next time I will use Open Street Maps together with the Garmin Southeast Asia map-the entire OSM routable world map fits in a GPS (18GB); its coverage for South East Asia is generally good.

Before leaving home I used websites like Agoda to identify two hotels in each town where I might want to stay and I loaded their coordinates as waypoints in my GPS, with backup copies in an Excel spreadsheet and on paper. I did not book ahead except when I was heading to a big city. When it was time to call it a day, I navigated to one of my preselected waypoints and checked it out. I was never disappointed. I could sometimes get a discount from the internet rate because the hotel saved the booking commission. I covered the bike each night and parked it in front of the hotel door or in the hotel's secured area and never had a problem with tampering.

I loaded in the GPS the coordinates of the BMW dealers:
Chiang Mai BMW- Barcelona Auto 18.80589,99.01639
Bangkok BMW - BKK Motorcycle 13.702374,100.516866
Phuket BMW - Barcelona Auto 7.903163,98.388357

And major clinics and hospitals in the area from public sources, just in case I should need to go there on my own:
Sihanoukville - CT Clinic 10.627288,103.522464
Phnom Penh - International SOS 11.55969,104.924964
Phnom Penh - Royal Rattanak Hospital 11.573646,104.896949
Phnom Penh - Calmette Hospital 11.581298,104.91578
Siem Reap - Khmer-China Clinic 13.35716,103.853838
Siem Reap - Royal Angkor Hospital 13.381614,103.826487
Bangkok - BNH Hospital 13.724966,100.535041
Bangkok - Bumrungrad 13.74642,100.552368
Udon Thani - AEK Udon Hospital 17.398489,102.80327
Udon Thani - Wattana Hospital 17.421536,102.783714
Vientiane - Australian Embassy 17.934923,102.617621
Vientiane - CMAF Centre Medical 17.958985,102.619359
Vientiane - Alliance Medical 17.970304,102.574625
Luang Prabang - International Clinic 19.88663333, 102.13455

I made this cheat sheet of biker phrases in English, Malay, Thai/Lao, Khmer, and Chinese but I never used it. I keep it with my vehicle papers for future trips.

If there are any retirees out there with time on their hands who would like to join me next time (February 2014?) for another such ride, or meet up in Singapore or along the way for a Chang or a coffee, please let me know. See you on the road!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Falang OP
Singapore

For riders on their way to Laos, the following may be useful. I just received the latest Laos GPS map from Laos GPS Map (www.laosgpsmap.com), on a protected microSD card. Two years ago I purchased the GT Rider Laos GPS Map v.5 (http://www.gt-rider.com/maps-of-thai.../gps-maps-laos), also on a protected microSD card; this is still their current version.

Using Garmin Basecamp I compared these two $50 maps with each other and with the free downloadable Open Street Map (garmin.openstreetmap.nl). Here are sample printscreens of the same spot in central Vientiane from each of the three maps.

LaosGPSMap 2014 (dated December 2013):

GT Rider Map v. 5 2011 (dated November 2011):

Open Street Map (dated May 2013):

The quality of each is apparent, and is even more apparent outside of the cities when creating routes, but each of the maps has things that the other two don't have, and the OSM map is surprisingly good, for free.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,338
I'm not a retiree, but I could be interested to go with you in the future. I've ridden a lot of Thailand and Cambodia, and would love to visit Laos and Vietnam.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Great photos and report. I have been to some of these places and it brought back good memories. Thank you.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Mendo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Love your photo's they really capture the essence of the local people. Thank you for the report, really enjoyed it.

Maui Dual Sport Rentals and Tours
www.mauidualsport.com
Mendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 501
SE Asia is an interesting place. Your pics are amazing and thanks for posting

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Brilliant

Superb,

You can see the heat in the pics. Fantastic scenery and people. Thanks for this RR - anymore to come?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
twflybum
Prodigal Biker

Oddometer: 121
Excellent!

You did a nice job of capturing the essence of SE Asia. Thanks for posting! Wish I had the time to travel along in Feb. Too little time off..
twflybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #11
Falang OP
Singapore

I'm looking to ride back in mid-February for four to six weeks, if anyone is interested in pairing up (probably for part of it) please PM me.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
rifqi
n00b

Oddometer: 3
greetings from Singapore!

apart from your awesome pictures, i really liked the multi-language phrases. Appreciate your effort and don't mind if i use them!

ride safe!
rifqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #13
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,323
Spent a long time looking at the pics...Amazing
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #14
legasea
Ape on wheels

Oddometer: 105
Many thanks, Falang.
Appreciate your methodology, which I hardly would be able to cope.
Your photos say it all; pertinent, real and well spoted.
The aditional information is to keep, you never know...
The simplicity is a must.

It's God's fault if atheism is growing
legasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #15
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,512
Thanks for posting this . . . . .

Many excellent pix of one of my favorite corners of the world . . . . .

Good luck on your next journey & post up again . . . . . . .

Thanks again for sharing; you've captured some really nice candid photos of real life in SE Asia; Brings back memories !

Have fun ! . . . . . . .

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote