ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Hop-Sing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Mini camp

I am considering making a mini camp in Red Bluff ca. It would be a small camp for Adv rider's passing through. I have a small piece of property right at the intersection of I-5 and hwy 36 east and west. I am considering a bathroom and enough tent sites for 6 or 8. parking would be next to tents. Has anybody ever made such a PIT's stop. this would be a park like setting and a donation charge for showers and bathrooms. couple of picnic tables and a fire pit with some seating. Chance to charge you phone. and some light maintenance. Something like ten bucks a night to do updates.

Would this be something people might be interested in. You input would be appreciated
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Good idea - needs a bit more

Hi Hop,

the price is very reasonable and it sounds like a great idea.

But I think you will hit the jackpot if you advertise it as a good spot to campout as a base and do loop rides.

Many like me don't know the area very well so if you do then billing it as part of a loop ride or several loop rides will be very appealing.

This is what guys like Rawhyde do in the Socal area with their base camp Alpha and are very successful at it.

Mike Z
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
kurtzinpa
KurtzInPA

Oddometer: 101
Question

Great idea! Sorta like MTN (Motorcycle Travelers Network) . Is this a place that you can supervise?
kurtzinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,592
That general area is a good place to stop when transitioning from the coast to the Sierras and when super slabbing it from So Cal to the PNW and back. Sounds like a great option to the hotels in the area.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Square1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
That sounds great,
maybe that could be a staging stop to go into Lassen and Modoc.

M
Square1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post

Would this be something people might be interested in. You input would be appreciated
Yep. From my area, it would be a good first night's stop when leaving for extended trips to the PNW.. or upon return. I like it!
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 177 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Hop-Sing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mini camp

Thanks for your thoughts. I bought the house next door and am considering many options. one being the mini camp idea. At this point I am getting the house's plumbing hooked up and am considering adding a line to use for a bathroom in the camp area.
This is a great location for both loop riding and North/South, East/West. Living here most my life I realize how many riders stop here.
Having a safe place to camp/ meet with a shower might be a decent option especially if the price was right.
Plus the wife didn't shot down the idea before I said it.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Hop-Sing, check out the "Creating the 'CANAL' " thread found elsewhere
in this forum. Throw in some loops in your area and what you have in
mind on that thread.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
ThirdBestFriend
Explorer

Oddometer: 119
Lol, this is my retirement plan—although in a different location than yours. Some additional ideas I've been kicking around:
  • Supporting a range of different travel methods (motorcycle/bicycle/overlanders/canoe/kayak). No RV though
  • Offer access to tools for people to make emergency repairs with
  • Stock some emergency spare parts for things that commonly break; also accept parts deliveries on your behalf (and maybe even whole bikes)
  • Grocery pre-order/storage (you place an order, we pick it up and have it ready when you arrive)
  • Gear storage, where we lock up your excess stuff for you while you tour
  • Access to a sauna and/or hot tub
Pricing would vary depending on service(s) required.

So yes, not only do I think this is a good idea, I want updates on how it goes for you. My timeline is at least 15 years out.
ThirdBestFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
some flat decent grass, a table here n there, maybe some posts for hammock tents, and a place to do some business/shower. i think its a GREAT idea.

a small workshop/tool shed would put this place OVER THE TOP.

maybe a little steel building with facilities/shop/storage etc......

id stay there.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Hop-Sing OP
Gnarly Adventurer

canal ?

I don't know how to use this web site well enough to find that thread.
I stealth camp most everyplace I go, But I tend to take 2 and 3 day trips so a shower is not a must. [I do travel by myself]
I am not looking at this as an income. However taking the wife out for dinner on someone else's dime would keep things running smooth.
I guess stubbing in an outlet for a bathroom IS a good idea.
Probably a couple years away as I have the house that needs attention and I seem to play more than I should.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932268 ------ CANAL thread
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 339
Hops-singer, yesterday was so nice and warm I took the afternoon off and went for a putt. I tried to figure out just where on 36 the place you are talking about is. Wanted to see it in person. Had no idea. Is it near the gravel plant? Had a great ride anyway. Once past McCoy I only saw about 2 cars on 36 clear to Platina. No one on the Ditch Grade road.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,506
There are some good ideas brewing here.

1. I like the "base camp" advertising model. I envision a big sign board with Plexiglas like the forest service uses. Under the glass would be large maps with a different colors highlighting different recommended loops. Maybe paper copies for sale for the campers' tank bags.

2. I like the repair station idea. You could have a motorcycle jack bolted to a concrete slab, with a simple tin roof overhead (no walls). I recommend hook straps hanging from the ceiling to prevent tip overs. Stocking parts might get to be too much, but selling some supplies might be doable, such as oil, inner tubes, tire plugs.

Just for some general feedback; I think my wife and I would go for something like this. She is a new rider, and not ready for long trips just yet. We would show up in a pickup with bikes and camping gear, and do day trips on the bikes. Any place within walking distance to grab a beer?
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote