Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
nick2ny OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
US citizen buying a bike in France (Marseille)?

Howdy all,

I am living in beautiful Marseille, but I don't yet have an EU driving license (I am working on the exchange. But it is complicated for a couple of reasons so I think it might take two months to complete ). In the meantime, I am desperate to have a motorcycle or scooter. Do you know if I can buy one as a US / EU dual citizen with only a US license? Do I have to get a friend to register it in his name or something?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Olirider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Hello,

I think this is possible as long as you have a French address, a legal proof of it and a "carte de séjour".

The back roads around Marseille are beautiful to ride !
Olirider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,322
About driving license, you could keep your USA one (+ international eventually) for a year , after you have to get an EU license or convert - conversion is possible not in all EU countries - e.g. in Italy conversion is only for military or diplomats.
But from Marseille you could exit the EU riding to Switzerland or ferrying to Tunisia and voilà , another year …

In Italy is also possible to buy a car or bike with an "EE" temporary plate valid one year , destined to foreign people, should be something similar also in France - could be interesting since that way you will save the 21 or 22% vat tax,
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
here is a good classified for france lotsa bike/scooters on here http://www.leboncoin.fr/
kristof-lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Howdy all,

I am living in beautiful Marseille, but I don't yet have an EU driving license (I am working on the exchange. But it is complicated for a couple of reasons so I think it might take two months to complete ). In the meantime, I am desperate to have a motorcycle or scooter. Do you know if I can buy one as a US / EU dual citizen with only a US license? Do I have to get a friend to register it in his name or something?

Thanks!
You dont need a licence to buy a bike or car. You need one to ride drive it so depending on the length of current residency you may not be able to ride it until you do the conversion.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
nick2ny OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
You dont need a licence to buy a bike or car. You need one to ride drive it so depending on the length of current residency you may not be able to ride it until you do the conversion.

Do I need a French license to register and insure it, or do I just need an address?

Thanks!

-Nick
Old 12-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

To buy and register no, to insure... depends on the Insurance company but prob not but I would expect a higher premium.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #8
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
im french american, from california; moved to france, tried, cant be done with my california and international license
you have to have the license of the country you are in to insure and register the vehicle

sucks

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

I bought and registered a vehicle when I lived in france, I didnt have a french driving licence.

Different question...
Is the us International license something different to anywhere else in the world ? I ask as I see loads of posts and questions and comments that suggest its more than a simple translation document.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Quote:
I bought and registered a vehicle when I lived in france, I didnt have a french driving licence.

Different question...
Is the us International license something different to anywhere else in the world ? I ask as I see loads of posts and questions and comments that suggest its more than a simple translation document.

what did you do to register the bike? i am a Canadian in France with my bike license and international license, i also have a sister here who is a resisdent she lives here full time and i can use her adress.

as far as i know with the international drivers its simply a translation of what is on your license i believe after a certain amount of time whatever is allowed in the country your driving in you either have an option if available of handing your licence in for the countries maybe with a written test, some countries dont let you do this and you have to go through the whole process. just from what i hear.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
yes but you had a EU license from switzerland,
For us USA license holders, its different.

unless our home state is on a list of exchangeable licenses, there are very few,we have to pass the french one.

Quote:

Different question...

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #12
EltonAvenue
Banned

Oddometer: 544
Buy a 'bike from a neighbouring country & keep their plates on it & just ride & hope for the best.

There are hundreds or probably thousands of cars in England driving around on plates from other EEC countries & the police basically ignore them unless they get into an accident.
EltonAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #13
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDakaR! View Post
yes but you had a EU license from switzerland,
For us USA license holders, its different.

unless our home state is on a list of exchangeable licenses, there are very few,we have to pass the french one.
Switzerland is not in the EU and I didnt have an EU or a swiss licence either and registering a vehicle is totally different to converting a driving licence.

Bought a bike, went to the prefecture with proof of my address and the bike paper. Walked out with papers in my name and address. Not 1 mention of a driving licence and I registered more than 1 bike and dealt with different people.

Legally riding it is a different matter all together.

fluff34567 screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 07:38 AM
Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Quote:
Switzerland is not in the EU and I didnt have an EU or a swiss licence either and registering a vehicle is totally different to converting a driving licence.

Bought a bike, went to the prefecture with proof of my address and the bike paper. Walked out with papers in my name and address. Not 1 mention of a driving licence and I registered more than 1 bike and dealt with different people.

Legally riding it is a different matter all together.

hmmm this intrigues me can you offer any clarification on this? i doubt i would be able to register a bike here with proof of my residence in canada...
Old 01-09-2014, 12:48 AM   #15
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof-lars View Post
hmmm this intrigues me can you offer any clarification on this? i doubt i would be able to register a bike here with proof of my residence in canada...
You'll need to have an address in France. If you want to register the bike in your name, you'll have to produce proof of your connection to the address, for example, a utilities or telephone bill or a bank statement less than 90 days old in your name. If you plan to insure the bike, which is mandatory, you'll also have to prove your residence to the insurance company. If you are stopped by the police and you don't have the little green paper stuck to the bike, problems.