ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Strykermike OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 36
Question 2012 vs 2013

So I have been bitten by the adventure bug pretty bad. I haven't owned a bike in about 30 years. I am seriously considering the 990. I have noticed a few left over new 2012 models.
My question is. What are the major differences between a 2012 model and the 2013 Baja edition? Is it just the paint and storage bags, or is there more to it? Any advice here wil be greatly appreciated.
Strykermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
armourbl
Adventure Life
 
armourbl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 466
I'm new to this as well. I actually have a 2013 on order right now. Besides what you have mentioned, I believe the 2012 has ABS, where the 2013 does not.

Here is an article on the 2012. http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012...abs-r-preview/

I'm sure more knowledgeable members will post soon enough.

ben
armourbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer
 
SCflyer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Back in NC
Oddometer: 1,560
I think the only difference between the two is Baja doesn't have ABS on it but you get additions like D908 Offroad tires, aux lights, tail bag and a few other things. Suspension is the same since they're both "standard" vs the R version which doesn't have ABS and has longer suspension travel.


All u need to know...http://www.ktm.com/us/travel/990-adv...l#.Uq3s8a2A05s
__________________
"Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien

SCflyer screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 09:56 AM
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Kingrider
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: S.E. Kansas
Oddometer: 21
Another gets bitten. That's great. This type of riding beats anything else I've done. Just a word of caution, you are buying the pinnacle of bikes in this genre. It is capable of doing single track in 1st gear and something in excess of 100 mph in the open. Respect the bike and you will have a ball.
Enjoy the the ride.

Kingrider
__________________
Dirty or Clean, if it's a new road, it's a new adventure.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
2007 Harley Davidson Road Glide
Kingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
armourbl
Adventure Life
 
armourbl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
I think the only difference between the two is Baja doesn't have ABS on it but you get additions like D908 Offroad tires, aux lights, tail bag and a few other things. Suspension is the same since they're both "standard" vs the R version which doesn't have ABS and has longer suspension travel.


All u need to know...http://www.ktm.com/us/travel/990-adv...l#.Uq3s8a2A05s
My only wish would have been the longer suspension on the Baja Edition. Doesn't make any sense to me that they didn't do that for bike with that name on it. I'll have to look into suspension upgrade eventually I suppose. I do all my own work on my CRF450R, including suspension tuning, but I've never torn into the WP stuff.

ben
armourbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
Strykermike OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingrider View Post
Another gets bitten. That's great. This type of riding beats anything else I've done. Just a word of caution, you are buying the pinnacle of bikes in this genre. It is capable of doing single track in 1st gear and something in excess of 100 mph in the open. Respect the bike and you will have a ball.
Enjoy the the ride.

Kingrider
I am aware of the performance potential. That is probably what kept me from buying a crotch rocket when I was younger. Was afraid I would kill myself. (bad impulse control) But now that I am older I think I can keep most of my stupid urges in check. My wife claims I already drive slow like an old fart.
Thanks for the responses.
Strykermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
desert sky
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere between snowmobiles and motorcycles
Oddometer: 42
If you do not have a desire to ride the Adventure in the dirt, there are better bikes to rule the road out there. ds
desert sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Strykermike OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 36
Probably nothing to technical. Forest access roads, fire roads, logging roads and some back woods camping are definitely in the future.
Strykermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
desert sky
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere between snowmobiles and motorcycles
Oddometer: 42
I took the Baja off road as soon as I got it. Since it was what was there when my money was, it was what I got. Bonus for me was the lack of ABS and soon to be electronic suspension and traction controls. The off road time made understanding throttle and brake control and balance points of the bike easy. I am one with it now. By the way, riding the big horse off road made my skills on my 450exc improve nicely. ds
desert sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer
 
steveWFL's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sky View Post
I took the Baja off road as soon as I got it. Since it was what was there when my money was, it was what I got. Bonus for me was the lack of ABS and soon to be electronic suspension and traction controls. The off road time made understanding throttle and brake control and balance points of the bike easy. I am one with it now. By the way, riding the big horse off road made my skills on my 450exc improve nicely. ds
there's another reason I need to buy yet another bike
__________________
KTM EXC - in 530 flavor
'10 Concours14 with >85,000 miles and ticking'
'99 ZX9R Ninja - rolling retro style
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014