Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Question about City Nav and Basecamp

I just got my Montana 650. I'm a first time user of any GPS. I've loaded City Nav from the website as it was a newer version of my cd. A couple of questions;
1) does city nav also run on my pc? I know I got it loaded on my gps unit, but don't see how to run it on my pc if it allows you to.
2) basecamp. Where do I get this software? My unit has no informational instructions on how to do this with it in paper form, and I don't see anything on Garmin's site that answers my questions.

Thanks for any input.

TxTiger screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 10:22 AM
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp is free
basecamp works by accessing the maps directly loaded on your unit (attached to computer w/ usb). the older map source needed those maps loaded on your computer as well as on your gps to work with them (create routes etc.)

download & install basecamp. plug in your gps and it will find your maps.
takes a bit of time the 1st time loading.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
I also think you can run the update again and a "setting" or "advanced" (or a similar button, lower right? before the download begins) offers three options.

GPS only
Computer only
GPS & Computer

In your case select computer only. Takes awhile.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 10:57 AM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
I just got my Montana 650. I'm a first time user of any GPS. I've loaded City Nav from the website as it was a newer version of my cd. A couple of questions;
1) does city nav also run on my pc? I know I got it loaded on my gps unit, but don't see how to run it on my pc if it allows you to.
2) basecamp. Where do I get this software? My unit has no informational instructions on how to do this with it in paper form, and I don't see anything on Garmin's site that answers my questions.

Thanks for any input.
You can only install CNNA on to your computer if you purchased the DVD. You noted that you purchased the downloaded version of CNNA so you will have to do as eakins described and use your Montana USB connected so BaseCamp can read the CNNA map from the Montana.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You can only install CNNA on to your computer if you purchased the DVD. You noted that you purchased the downloaded version of CNNA so you will have to do as eakins described and use your Montana USB connected so BaseCamp can read the CNNA map from the Montana.
I did purchase the dvd but a prompt suggested loading from the website. Did I screw up?

If it is more advantageous to also have city nav on your pc, I could delete the download version and load it from the dvd if it will allow me to do that. If not I could contact garmin and see what I can do. I would think it would be good to also have it loaded on the pc so you don't have to connect the device until you were ready to transfer your data. Any recommendations here?

TxTiger screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 11:46 AM
Old 12-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
I did purchase the dvd but a prompt suggested loading from the website. Did I screw up?

If it is more advantageous to also have city nav on your pc, I could delete the download version and load it from the dvd if it will allow me to do that. If not I could contact garmin and see what I can do. I would think it would be good to also have it loaded on the pc so you don't have to connect the device until you were ready to transfer your data. Any recommendations here?
I little confusing... If you purchased the DVD and installed it, THEN you got a prompt to download the latest VERSION, that would be understandable. If you purchased the DVD and then somehow purchased another copy of CNNA via Download then you are kind of screwed - you have to copies of the same map set assigned to the same device.

Since we aren't there to see what you did, I would call Garmin Product Support. They will help you figure out what your options are.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hope this doesn't double post as I sent a response and got an error message.

I got a prompt recommending to download the website newer version before installation, but had to use my dvd code to download the maps. I will call Garmin tomorrow to discuss it with them.

Thanks for all the info, the help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Perhaps my install was different, it was a purchased one time update to CN which was preloaded on my Nuvi 550, I do not own a copy of CN on DVD. I was somewhat surprised when the options were listed.

Things that could have made a difference unique to my install;

1) Not a Montana, an older Nuvi 550.
2) This was a CN update, of a CN update which already resided on my PC (from when the GPS + Computer option was available).
2) I do own an old copy of CitySelect on CD but it is not upgradeable.
3) In addition to BaseCamp I also have MapSource installed, MapSource can't read the maps from the unit so maps are installed on the PC.

Sorry if my post was for most was misleading.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hate to be such a novice, but I just disconnected the gps from my pc, launched basecamp and I can see the map the same as when I had the gps connected. Therefore, it must be loaded on the pc also. I guess since I used the unlock code for the dvd, Garmin recognized the download as a dvd. Does this make sense? If so it is helpful information for others who go through the install process with a dvd. That is, if they choose a newer version through the download Garmin still gives you option of viewing it on your gps or your pc.

I will verify this with Garmin tomorrow, just wanted to update what I had found.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
I would try this:

Run the Garmin Express update again without your GPS connected. Select Advanced Options.

use the dropdown menu to select "Computer" since that is what didn't happen the first time. Next calendar quarter or whenever the next map update comes out, have your GPS connected and select "Device & Computer" as shown below so it will do both places.

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Emoto, thanks for the detailed instructions (I definitely need them), but given the info I posted just above yours, it is on the pc also. Now I just need to learn to use it. I'm playing around with it now to get an understanding of the basics.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK guys. Now I need to import a gpx file that is on my hard drive into basecamp. Most of the help info discusses transferring between devices, but I don't see how to get a gpx file into basecamp from a download. Wow. are there good tutorials on this?
Old 12-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Read the Help file...

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 03:07 PM
Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. That got it. Greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am going to download Google Earth to get the GE view, does the free version work as good as the pro edition for use in basecamp? Any advantage with the pro using it through basecamp?