Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post

Listen to the man. He knows shit.

Ensure that you have enough coin for your tip too - Hotels/Motels in Labrador aren't the ComfortInn and the prices will shock and astound you. So will the price of fuel.
Manic Cinq was a $1.72/L for ordinaire
$1.59/L in Port Hope

Hotels, don't expect to see anything less than $100, for what is basically a B&B.

It's all worth it though.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Your 'explore Newfoundland' day gives you one day. Its a full day to ride the distance from Port aux Basques up the west side of Newfoundland to the ferry to Blanc Sablon.

Do yourself a favour and schedule more time for Newfoundland; I didn't, and I regret it. It's far bigger than one might expect, not just another state or province and deserves a lot more time. Other than that, all the days allow plenty of time for the occasional side-trip.

Happy riding. What are you riding?

Nick

^^ This, TLab is mostly about riding the road while Newfoundland is mostly about meeting people, not to say the folks on the Lab side are not friendly cause they are, but Newfoundlanders are in a class of their own when it comes to overt friendliness and hospitality.

We went counter clockwise on our TLab trip. "We" originally started out as just my wife and I but as we travelled we linked in with some other folks. Seven of us landed at the ferry in Blanc Sablon late in the day and met another rider and his wife from ND. Our plan was to camp on the ND side after the crossing but our new friend was having none of that. Seven of us ended up as their house, they put us up, fed us a big breakfast and took us all out for a couple hours cruising icebergs.

Have a great trip!
PS if you are debating tire options the K60s work well for a lot of people in the group. I burned up a set of TKCs and never regretted having a little extra traction on the dirt. Didn't need it but a little extra traction on the highly variable terrain of the TLab was nice.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,025
Tons of things to se on the rock but I'm very happy I took the time to up to L'Anse Aux Medows. Arrived just as the tourist office was closing and I got to wander all around the Viking Settlement alone. Very cool picturing how the Vikings must have felt landing here and building a settlement.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 188
Tlh 2014

Maybe see you along the way on our "early retireathon".
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #20
Rubberlegs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
A lot of good points of view posted by many and I do appreciate them. I should mention that this vacation will be more bout riding and a lot less about sight seeing.

I am not much of a social creature. One of the main reasons I prefer to ride on the empty roads of the north is because there is far less traffic and far fewer people.

I have met a lot of people that come from THE ROCK originally and I must say it does sound nice. I may take a trip up to Gander due to the fact that my military ID grants me access to any CND base an I may spend the night in transient quarters.

Still in the process of deciding on which tent is best for such a trip.. I do like the idea of the REDVERS tent+bike garage. But, I am also used to busting out a hooch between trees and dozing off.

To me, the hooch does has advantages. It's dirt cheap (AKA FREE), fast to set up and tear down, light, and it works. The disadvantage is bug, critter and rain protection. The hooch would allow me to (FREE camp) in the woods anywhere.

The REDVERS is expensive, big and heavy. Rain, critter and bug protection appear to be great and the vestibule could serve as a make shift kitchen or garage on rainy days. The ability to (FREE camp) would be greatly reduced.

Side NOTE- Why is it that hotels and campgrounds are so expensive in Canada. It's not like I am pulling in with a 45' long trailer. Why would I have to pay $25.00 a night for a spot to set up a tent...

I am also playing with the idea of taking along spare tires. Leaning towards the NO on this one, I will take tubes and repair kits which should cover me for everything except a sidewall slash.

And lastly, I am considering fuel container options. I am thinking of installing wolfman side racks and Alpo panniers. I would then mount a rotopax fuel cell either on top of the panniers of maybe inside of the left luggage rack.
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #21
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Go to Glacier Bay up by St. Anthony's.....the harbour was full of glaciers when we went! Something you never usually see.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Spindly little trees in Labrador make using anything other than a tent a bit tricky. It can be done but you will spend a lot of time looking for trees that will support your weight - and near the coast there are no trees at all. Whether you prefer it or not, you'll probably end up sleeping on the ground

Also, underestimate the need for complete insect protection at your peril. You may be lucky, but if you're not.............

In my experience, if one cares to look around, there is always somewhere to stealth camp. I do it while hiking in the UK all the time. In Canada it is less likely that anyone will be looking or caring - especially along the TLH where its expected.

Tubes and repair kit (don't forget a pump) should be enough - unless looking the part is more important than just doing it. As for fuel containers - you can strap a standard plastic gas can on just about anywhere. Buy gas with the money you save by not buying an expensive fuel cell.

Nick

nick949eldo screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 11:31 AM
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
I agree camping is expensive in Canada but not so much here in NL because you can legally camp on any beach or sideroad. There is no limit to the places to pitch as most of the island is crown land. As such campgrounds are a little more reasonable.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #24
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Ontario has to be the worst place to have to pay for camping.....it's basically highway robbery!

I stealth camp at the flashing red light campsites.......look off into the distance when riding near bedtime....look for a cell tower beacon or any other flashing beacon as there is usually a nice level gravel parking lot for their trucks to park in and it's never usually fenced or locked......but best of all...it's free! Just be gone as early as you can in the morning in case the workers show up to do something at that location......I have never seen anyone at one yet.
Also, sometimes they have a Johnny on the spot for the workers too!

Shhhhhh.....it's a secret....don't tell anyone!!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
Rubberlegs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Ontario has to be the worst place to have to pay for camping.....it's basically highway robbery!

I stealth camp at the flashing red light campsites.......look off into the distance when riding near bedtime....look for a cell tower beacon or any other flashing beacon as there is usually a nice level gravel parking lot for their trucks to park in and it's never usually fenced or locked......but best of all...it's free! Just be gone as early as you can in the morning in case the workers show up to do something at that location......I have never seen anyone at one yet.

now there's a thinking man!
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #26
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

I like that idea I have noticed them but never actually thought to keep an eye open and make them a destination.

Wonder if Hydro has an online map?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
willys
Beastly Adventurer

There is a site that tells you where each one is....I just never used it. It makes it an adventure to search them out while riding....also look for gas pipe lines.....just don't have a campfire unless you like to live dangerously.....lol. They too have service locations.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #28
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:

One of the best deals in NFLD is the camping in Provincial sites. It is not as cheap elsewhere. Good basic camping for not too much $$.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
There is a site that tells you where each one is....I just never used it. It makes it an adventure to search them out while riding....also look for gas pipe lines.....just don't have a campfire unless you like to live dangerously.....lol. They too have service locations.
Maybe not in pure adventure principles but comforting to know a decent camping spot isn't so far away. My trip didn't allow for such a luxury so i would have appreciated it. Since there's a tower and probably a fence stringing up my hammock wouldn't have been such a concern. Them trees aren't up to such a big load
Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #30
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
I think we only paid $10-15 a night in provincial sites. We had a great camp fire there and it was safe too. It is part of the adventure to associate with others. If your totally broke OK stay on the beach but the noise of the waves will never stop so you need to get used to that. I don't mind paying a reasonable cost for service. We paid $65 a night to park the motor home in Maine, I thought that was way too much, maybe that is why people stay at Walmart. We needed no services. This was not a place with any view or water front at all. In the middle of nowhere.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote