Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #31
Rubberlegs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I think we only paid $10-15 a night in provincial sites. We had a great camp fire there and it was safe too. It is part of the adventure to associate with others. If your totally broke OK stay on the beach but the noise of the waves will never stop so you need to get used to that. I don't mind paying a reasonable cost for service. We paid $65 a night to park the motor home in Maine, I thought that was way too much, maybe that is why people stay at Walmart. We needed no services. This was not a place with any view or water front at all. In the middle of nowhere.
$ 15 bucks/ night is acceptable. Most places in ontario and Quebec are asking between $20 and $35/ night. For a simple motorcycle rider looking for 10 ft of space to set up in, I wold think it would be cheaper.
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #32
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,913
if you occupy a site with 1 rider or 6 the site is still used .. for open field camping it should be cheaper
Old 02-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #33
CAN-ADVer
From NB to ... :)

Oddometer: 30
Same trip the month after

Hey! This seems like an interesting trip. We are planning to do the same leaving from NB on July 28th and coming back around the 8th or 9th of August. I'll definitely look for your ride report to know how's the highway.

PS : Weather is summer in July and August over there. But June shouldn't be so bad.

Enjoy :))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post
Hello all. I am in the early phases of planning a TLH trip.

Here are some of the preliminary details

Sunday 22nd June 2014 leave Quebec city no later than 13:00. Heading south to Millinocket Maine, Arrive at aprox 18:00. Have supper at the Pelletier family restaurant bar and grill and have a Golden road beer. (400 km).
Monday 23 June, free day
Tuesday 24 June Leave Milllinocket NLT 10:00. Head to Halifax (652 km) See if I can meet up with some old friends.
Wednesday 25 June, free day in Halifax.
Thursday 26 June, Leave Halifax and head to port aux basques (note, North Sidney ferry crossing leaves at 16:30) (580 km)
Friday 27 June, Explore Newfoundland
Saturday 28 June, Explore Newfoundland, cross over to Blanc Sablon, Head up to Marry's harbour.
Sunday 29 June, St-Marry's harbour to Cartwright (252 km)
Monday 30 June Cartwright to Goose Bay (393 km)
Canada day 2014, Spend the day in Goose Bay
Wednesday 02 July, Goose bay to labrador city (528 km)
Thursday 03 July, Labrador city to Manic 5 (370 km)
Friday 04 July, Manic 5 to Baie Comeau (218 km)
Saturday 05 July drive home (438 km)

Anybody else planning on doing the TLH this summer?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #34
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Yep^ been there done that, and also OP you are OVER PLANNING things, rides never go as planned.......and that is sometimes good thing.
I agree 100% - If you have to be here one day, here the next, then so on and so on: You are at work in my book.

No the way I wanna spend a my vacation time.

And ninja stealth camping skills can be honed and save you some money.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #35
kithough
Vagabond

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I agree 100% - If you have to be here one day, here the next, then so on and so on: You are at work in my book.

No the way I wanna spend a my vacation time.

And ninja stealth camping skills can be honed and save you some money.
Ditto here. The previous posts have plenty of valued info.

From a post, I learned it would be best to go CCW. From Maine, I know when I can be at the dock. The other way, scheduling would dictate a schedule. Leaving ME Aug 10, then the ferry. From then on it will be more as weather dictates.

Riding an R100GS/PD w/ hard boxes. Thinking of mounting K60's when I get to Maine.

Stealth camping, yes. But doesn't sound needed in NL/LB. Personally, I will be sampling the several well-reputed microbrews and socializing with folks.
kithough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #36
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Ferry to labrador stuck in ice

The have had a bad winter in Nfld/Lab. and the ice breaker was needed to keep the ferry running. There have been laps in service.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...0%88Dempster/1

On Dec. 23, the Apollo was stuck for 15 hours with 60 passengers on board, McGrath said
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #37
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Here is another ice story. The Sister in Law told me about this but there hasn't been much info out there. Seems like the Gulf of Saint Lawrence has a lot of ice.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...hips-1.2569787
2004 Honda XR400R
Old 03-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #38
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

House buried in snow

Many might find that I'm off on a tangent here but here is a story about a NFLD family's house this week. The house is totally buried in snow.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...44423&latest=1

This is not too far from my wife's home area. NFLD. has had a really bad winter this year.
2004 Honda XR400R
Old 03-19-2014, 01:53 AM   #39
Rubberlegs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
Many might find that I'm off on a tangent here but here is a story about a NFLD family's house this week. The house is totally buried in snow.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...44423&latest=1

This is not too far from my wife's home area. NFLD. has had a really bad winter this year.
Wow.

Altough, my house is not far behind
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #40
Red KLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
There is a site that tells you where each one is....I just never used it. It makes it an adventure to search them out while riding....also look for gas pipe lines.....just don't have a campfire unless you like to live dangerously.....lol. They too have service locations.
I'll be riding/camping through Ontario/Quebec/New Brunswick early in the up coming season , what's the site ?
Thanks
Red KLR (my bike in a former life)
Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #41
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

I have been reporting NFLD. weather here 4 times now. This is an item concerning +200 Km/Hr(120mph) winds around Rocky Harbour area this week. All the East Coast had high winds this is the worst that I know about. Just a bit of news for most who are watching the Tulips coming up this spring.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...omes-1.2588468

Sorry if I am a pest about all this. NFLD has bad weather, colder than the mainland by at least 10C. There is/was a resort built a little south of this area that was big news for a while until some of the people actually lived there. Pretty much a dying issue now I think.
http://humbervalley.com/
2004 Honda XR400R
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #42
Tatemon555
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Tlh

Heading across the Big Land from Gros Morne on June 28 or 29.just two of us with no plans other than lots of miles and camping!
Tatemon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #43
jmarleau
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
We will be riding CW from NB starting on July 6th. I might see some of you guys. Look for a red Versys and a blue GS.
jmarleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #44
Labrador Louis
n00b

Oddometer: 8
TLH and the West Coast

There are two places in Canada / US that I haven't been on a motorcycle: Labrador and Nfld. I was born in Nfld and grew up in Labrador before I got a two wheeler. It's time to put this right.

I just got approval for a September sortie. I prefer the fall or spring because it's easier to get a hotel room. The weather can be a crap shoot in Labrador after the second week of August, and Nfld weather is always an adventure.

But wtf? I ride in Alberta, and if you're not ready to ride when it's crappy, then you're not ready to ride.
Labrador Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #45
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Myself and a friend are meeting up in NB on July 19 for an 11-day CW loop. We'll be riding a silver Transalp and a black Tiger 800 (hopefully the Tiger won't be towing the TA ). Planning a combination of tenting and motel/B&B depending on weather and mood on any particular day.
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote