ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 674
First Europe trip -Spain, France, Germany to Turkey

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on planning a Europe trip.
We were thinking of going to Spain, France n Germany for two weeks as tourists, then spend another two weeks going from Germany through to turkey on motorbike.

Or should we do Spain France n Germany, Austria on motorbike and do the other bit as tourists?

Is there anything we must see or just take it as it is? Is there some fun off road bits?

Has anyone got any marked routes they have done and would like to share?

Any help appreciated.. Thanks guys
__________________
New KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Bovino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Spain
Oddometer: 102
You are talking about a whole continent here, kinda hard to get specific.

No matter what- Alps on bike is a must, where as I prefer the French and Italian ones, tad less strict in terms of offroading.
That is just a fraction of Europe though.

What time of year is the most important bit of info you owe. Seasons are a bitch at times.

Chris
Bovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
DavidM1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Oddometer: 31
Turkey is my favourite biking country at the moment, have a look at this thread - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880227

Plenty of dirt tracks if you want them.
__________________
2013 Hyperstrada
1990 R80GS
DavidM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 674
thanks for the feedback so far guys. We are looking at heading over in May. So the start of Spring/Fall.

Wow turkey looks amazing... What about safety? is there any countries or areas to really avoid?

WOuld it be better to hire over there or try and get my bike shipped across?
__________________
New KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
DavidM1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Wow turkey looks amazing... What about safety? is there any countries or areas to really avoid?

WOuld it be better to hire over there or try and get my bike shipped across?
The only area in Turkey that it's recommended to stay away from is the far south-east near the borders with Iraq and Syria. Everywhere else just take your normal safety/security precautions.

Far better with your own bike. In Turkey renting a decent enduro is pretty expensive. Here's an example - http://www.kusadasi.net/yellow/motorport/

In the end, I guess you've got to decide on how much biking you want to do in your 4 weeks, you might be better off just renting locally at each destination for a blat around the locality.
__________________
2013 Hyperstrada
1990 R80GS

DavidM1 screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 07:17 AM
DavidM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 674
Thanks again for that. As the plans are unfolding we have a rough guide of where we are going to ride to but turkey is a big unknown at this stage and the route may change to see better sites etc..

We were thinking of hiring a bike in germany (you can get a bmw F800gs for $449euro a week + $500 euro deposit or an r1200 for 569) then get a train back from turkey to germany with the bike.



Will an Australian licence cut it or do i need to switch to a international licence?
__________________
New KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
markroach
Mid Life Crisis
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Bexhill-On-Sea, U.K.
Oddometer: 1
Thumb Europe tour

Hi, please bear with me as I am completely new to these things called "Threads"

I have just joined the forum.

We holiday in Turkey a lot, it is stunning, real history and lovely people.
I would love to be able to ride my bike there one day.

The route you show is enormous, 2 weeks? It would take one week from England to get to Instanbul and that would be pretty full on.
Instanbul is only the start. You would not see much if you had to cover so many miles in such a relatively short period.

I would suggest sticking to French & Italian Alps, droppping into Austria, Slovenia and Croatia. There is too much to take in in just those areas in 2 weeks.

I am planning 4 weeks in June 2014, doing more or less the same.

Check out that chaps ride headed "Europe on an Aprillia" he is from the U.K and travelled for 35 days or so, his ride sounded just fantastic.

Oh by the way, if any one out ther has some ideas for my tour I would really appreciate any input.

Cheers, Mark
__________________
markroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
DavidM1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Will an Australian licence cut it or do i need to switch to a international licence?
You might be able to get away with your Australian one but I recommend you get an International Driving Permit just in case.

I think you need to talk to the bike renter about which countries they will let you ride, there might be some restrictions. E.g. to go into Turkey you need the registration document of the vehicle.
__________________
2013 Hyperstrada
1990 R80GS
DavidM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Camarillo, CA
Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by markroach View Post
The route you show is enormous, 2 weeks? It would take one week from England to get to Instanbul and that would be pretty full on.
Instanbul is only the start. You would not see much if you had to cover so many miles in such a relatively short period.

I would suggest sticking to French & Italian Alps, droppping into Austria, Slovenia and Croatia. There is too much to take in in just those areas in 2 weeks.

I am planning 4 weeks in June 2014, doing more or less the same.

Cheers, Mark
I agree, way too much distance even for 4 weeks. I've done several driving trips throughout western Europe which were pretty aggressive in terms of coverage vs time. The last was 7 countries in about 3 weeks and we were on the move a lot.

If this is your first trip there I would for sure do an Alps cenctric tour with a possible drop into western Slovenia/Croatia. The coastal areas of Croatia are very nice and considered a vacation destination by many Europeans.

You can include Holland amd Belgium but you'd have to give up Slovenia/Coatia for the given time frame. I did that area going as far south as Venice on one trip in 3 weeks.

I'd do south of Croatia to Greece & Turkey as a separate trip. The same with Spain. I plan to do Spain & parts of western France as a 2-3 week trip in a couple years.

Most of the nicer places to visit in Europe are within a 200 mile radius of the Alps. The northen parts of Germany & France are not as interesting/beautiful as the southern parts.

Don't forget to factor in very high fuel costs and expect rain at some point. My last trip was at that time and the weather was pretty good overall but still got some rain but not that much.

I think I'd rent a bike there, trans continental shipping is slow and not that cheap. Motorcycle rentals in Europe are abundant.

I hope that helps.
__________________
13 MG Stelvio NTX
09 Duc Sport 1000
09 Kawi KLR650
00 Suzi DRZ400-S

danketchpel screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 07:01 AM
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Famous
Goin down hill fast
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Ireland
Oddometer: 182
That's a serious amount of ground to cover and if you have any interest in seeing much other than motorway you'll be under pressure.
I wouldn't make concrete plans for that time of year, check the weather and give yourself some options as the weather can be odd at that time.
There's loads to see

Enjoy
__________________
And miles to go before I sleep
Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by markroach View Post
Hi, please bear with me as I am completely new to these things called "Threads"

I have just joined the forum.

We holiday in Turkey a lot, it is stunning, real history and lovely people.
I would love to be able to ride my bike there one day.

The route you show is enormous, 2 weeks? It would take one week from England to get to Instanbul and that would be pretty full on.
Instanbul is only the start. You would not see much if you had to cover so many miles in such a relatively short period.

I would suggest sticking to French & Italian Alps, droppping into Austria, Slovenia and Croatia. There is too much to take in in just those areas in 2 weeks.

I am planning 4 weeks in June 2014, doing more or less the same.

Check out that chaps ride headed "Europe on an Aprillia" he is from the U.K and travelled for 35 days or so, his ride sounded just fantastic.

Oh by the way, if any one out ther has some ideas for my tour I would really appreciate any input.

Cheers, Mark
Hey Mark,

Thanks for your input.. Yeah we were thinking 2 weeks on the bike but that has been extended to 4 weeks.. which would be around 571km a day, it might be abit too much I agree.. So from Austria we might grab the train to turkey and ride around there and train it back.. I almost feel bad missing out on all those countries..
__________________
New KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I agree, way too much distance even for 4 weeks.
If this is your first trip there I would for sure do an Alps cenctric tour with a possible drop into western Slovenia/Croatia.

You can include Holland amd Belgium but you'd have to give up Slovenia/Coatia for the given time frame.
Thanks mate. Yeah I'm thinking the Alps would be great! Then we would need heated vests and stuff as well I think..

Maybe if we cut the trip in half either side it would give more time to chill and enjoy the destinations.. my fiance is huge on spain but also huge on turkey, so maybe it will be one or the other.. I'm thinking the first leg would be best and a year later the other half for 4 weeks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous View Post
That's a serious amount of ground to cover and if you have any interest in seeing much other than motorway you'll be under pressure.
I wouldn't make concrete plans for that time of year, check the weather and give yourself some options as the weather can be odd at that time.
There's loads to see

Enjoy
Thanks for the advice, not knowing what type of weather to expect could be difficult, in melb australia we can have either 40degree C for the first half of the day and 15C n rain the next half.. But i think Europe might be that but on steriods and have 50C n -10C n snow
__________________
New KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #13
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer
 
RTLover's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: West-central France
Oddometer: 3,128
Could you give some details of the route on your map? Can't tell which roads you have noted. But just from the map I'd probably tell you to go back to the drawing board for revisions. Did you say what period in the year that you'd be going?
__________________
R1200RT
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Could you give some details of the route on your map? Can't tell which roads you have noted. But just from the map I'd probably tell you to go back to the drawing board for revisions. Did you say what period in the year that you'd be going?
Yeah it was a google point n add destination.. with flexibility on the roads, So not too sure myself..

But we are heading there in June
__________________
New KTM 1190 Adventure R
KLX650R

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
Olirider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Olirider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: The country of stinky cheeses
Oddometer: 415
You chose the least fun (flatest) part of France for riding.
At least go thru the center in the Massif Central area if you cannot ride the Alps.

Check pictures here : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343239
Olirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014